Thread: sewing things

Default sewing things

I have been making baby blankets for bartering. Also making char cloth, and learning to make soap. I am getting ready to start making diapers for bartering out of flannel. I am making PJ's, shirts and the easy no zippers involved pants all for bartering. A lot of it is cheaper than buying things for bartering. If anyone has any other ideas for bartering I would love to hear about it.

The key to bartering is finding out/knowing what people want and need. Of course that is just half of the equation, as they need to have something you want or need (or at least somebody in the barter chain does). I don't know what the demand is for the things you listed, but if it is working for you..........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have many things to barter with, aka, garden seeds, some tools, matches, lighters, batteries, flashlights, etc. The above are just things I am making for bartering. In my neighborhood, things have changed. Older people have died off and house gets sold or people just move on. Right now we are having a neighborhood of young people moving in and have been breeding like rabbits. Almost all the newcomers here moved in with no children and now are up to 2 or 3 children and this is in a short period of time. These people will want to trade for blankets, clothing, baby formula etc. The char cloth is what I make for fire starters. Soap is something everyone will need as well as toothbrushes. So lots of things to barter but trying to figure out just what would be the best bartering tools. Hubby can't hunt any longer so trading for deer meat or other meat might be good but not sure of what would be a good trade for that.

Are your neighbors the sort that would hang out if an emergency situation developed? What sort of event are you envisioning where a heavily populated area is going to be a fit place to set up a barter-driven trading post? Do those new neighbors know one end of a deer from the other, let alone have the means and know-how to hunt for one? Are there enough deer in the area to sustain the population of people you envision? And if they have 2 or 3 kids each, what makes you think there will be any deer meat left over to trade with you? Aren't they more likely to mob you and ransack your stock.

Do people need PJs to survive? Why not store bolts of cloth and get a treadle powered sewing machine and make any needed garments to order? Things like work shirts, pants, aprons, coveralls. Diapers? Start a diaper service too. Use your homemade soap and set up a big boiling pot/shed to sterilize. You'll need a wood and water source though.

You would barter your small items for things like hardwood ashes and rendered tallow to make more soap. Do you have chickens? Do your neighbors? Eggs are a good bartering commodity.

Garden seeds, lighters, batteries, flashlights are all ephemeral. Most garden seeds can only be kept a couple years, even if they can be stored cold (do you have power for the seed freezer?) Lighters off-gas in storage, and then you would need the fuel to refill them (assuming refillable and not BicClicks.) Batteries corrode, or if the recharging kind, need a solar charger, and still they don't last very long. Waste of space. Fire Steels, First Aid supplies, canning jars with reusable seals, simple writing paper, kids games, household tools... those kinds of things would be worth bartering for, assuming your neighbors don't already have them, if they are the type of neighbors who would stick around.

My point being, if anything long-term enough happens where society reverts to bartering, that is a ways down the road. Could be years in fact. Don't think about things everyone commonly has. Think more essentials.
    Last edited by LowKey; 11-22-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Reloading in popular calibers.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Reloading in popular calibers.
    You never ever trade weapons or ammo for anything.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Or anything else that can hurt you back. Knives, hatchets and axes are off my list as well. Sharp things can come back to haunt you.

The IRS doesn't like barter.

But

If someone was going to barter, ... Services are easily bartered. On small scale, I mow people's grass. Sometimes they have fruit or nut trees in their yards. They give me figs, grapefruit, pecans, etc, in appreciation for my efforts. Soon after there is no evidence that either the service or the Commodity ever existed.

Alan

Tree nuts will give you kidney stones. Just take my word for it and don't ask for pics. Stick with the figs.

What can you barter kidney stones for?

Alan

I've never had kidney stones, but from what I've heard they are roundly unpleasant. If you view the enlarged pictures of them, it is readily apparent as to why, considering where they have to come out.

I don't think I'll barter for any, not even one.

Alan

When you have the first nudge you are pretty certain you can use them to pave the driveway. When they arrive you find out they are like the tiny screws you always drop and can never find. Really small. Then there are the hateful folks at the ER that are taking bets as to whether it will be a boy or a girl. I don't hold many grudges but I will get even with them.

Someone, I think Rick, mentioned that tree nuts cause Kidney Stones? Well I have a friend who has been told by her Doctor, that Iced Tea causes Kidney Stones, my SIL was told that her favorite food, Mac and Cheese causes Kidney Stones. I personally have had one, and when I finally did go to the dr, then the emergency room, I told them all, I have never given birth to any children, never even be pregnant. but....I do have the greatest respect for those who do give birth, for it is as bad as having a kidney stove that decides it must travel down the urethra, then they are TOUGH!!!! LOL I have only had the one, and didn't really know what was happening, but sure don't want any more. So, the reason I posted all of this, I am of the opinion, anything can cause them, if you don't drink enough water. I make sure I am drinking loads of water now. Don't want a repeat performance, not ever.

Might seem weird but have you ever heard of trench lighters?

I've built one myself with old shell cases and it works much like a zippo but uses multiple fuels.

Had a few people even offer to buy it off of me but I like my little lighter so it was a no go.