Thread: opinion onTrijicon sights

Tool & Die Maker

Default opinions on Trijicon sights

Thinking about putting these on my daytime wild hog rifle.

Here is a link:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...aspx?rrec=true

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

opinions??? Thanks
    Last edited by jim Glass; 10-31-2018 at 10:47 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Several things to consider here.

1. The U.S. military now qualifies all recruits on the M4 carbine using a 4x scope. The NRA allows the use of a 1-4x scope in the service rifle matches. It is the 21st Century.

2. You are nearly 70 and your eyes are not iron sight friendly any more.

3. Why do you need luminous dots on your "daytime wild hog rifle"? It's daytime.

4. And last but not least, you are using several thousand dollars in thermal imaging to shoot at night, why go caveman during the day?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Doesn't make sense does it.

OK, I decided to make a science project out of this. I investigated obtaining some Tritium gas cylinders and learned they come from China and can take a month to ship plus they are $8 to $20 each. Like you said, I don't need luminous for daytime hog hunting. So I ordered some Truglo fiber optic rods today so I'm in the process of making my own day glow gun sights. Should have the rods tomorrow.

This all started at the auto repair shop yesterday. The owner of the shop does lots of shooting so I asked him about recommending a nice Red dot sight. ' He says he doesn't like red dot sights, he likes the day glow sights, no batteries, find them at Williams gun sights.

So now I'm building my own sights and they won't be peep sights. Stay tuned.......
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Jim, Midway has 4 pages of AR sights on their website ranging from $8 to $300 in all forms and fashions. You can buy literally any sight you desire and screw it into place in five minutes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...ItemsPerPage=0

But the best sight for an old guy like us on an AR rifle is going to be a GOOD red dot or a scope!

The people winning the matches with AR rifles are shooting 1-4x scopes. The guys qualifying on the military ranges at boot camp are shooting rifles equipped with scopes, the snipers are shooting rifles with scopes. In 2005 I sent a Tasco 3-9 scope to Iraq, in the first care package I sent, and my son carried it on his SAW for 8 months. It was the very first thing on his list of "send me" stuff.

And that is in spite of what the grease monkey down the road thinks.

Tool & Die Maker

I searched all over the net for day glow sights. Plenty of options for the A2 front sights all for around twenty bucks. Rear sights are a different story. They have peep sights that will install onto the AR carry handle with tiny (as in .020" dia) tritium cylinders. Reviews claim the tritium cylinders are so hard to see they are hardly worth it. I'm not that fond of Peep sights in the first place so I'm making a rear sight with the open notch with fiber optics inserted on each side. See this setup all the time on handguns but not on AR's. Copying the day glow sights on my Rugar pellet rifle. I would like to know who came up with the 10-36 and 8-36 threads used on the sights?

Got interrupted yesterday, was informed I need to engineer and build a bicycle rack to mount on the rear ladder of our RV. I'm keeping track of my time to see if my wife rides the bike for as many hours as the bike rack required to build.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Sounds familiar,

I spent part of yesterday engineering a rifle shooting rest to fit a camera tripod.

Here you are engineering open sights to shoot hogs and I am working on shooting with a 6-24x scope on a 10 meter indoor range.

Now here is a concept for you. Most dedicated competition and tactical shooters using the AR platform use a combination of iron sight and red dot with the two systems co-witnessing. Meaning that when you bring the gun up the sights and red dot accent each other with the dot sitting on top of the front sight post. I have two of my rifles set up that way and it is fantastic! And it eliminates any need for luminous anything, fiber optics which are extremely delicate, or any new learning curve.

Most of the sights and red dots on the market are set up to co-witness already. I have mine set up with flip up irons and red dots of several designs. All seem to work well. I am sure that if you try the iron sights you already have with one of the red dots you already have you will find this system very easy on old guy eyes.

Honestly, if I were going to shoot hogs in daylight, with open sights, I would be toting my AK!

And at twilight I would slide the scope with the night vision device onto the QD mount, turn the little red cross hairs on and shoot through the TV screen bolted to the scope.

Tool & Die Maker

My fiber optic sights. Didn't turn out as well as expected. The dayglow rods on the rear sight show up pretty well. The front sight has an .029" dia day glow rod but it is almost impossible to see. My motivation was nobody sells a good day glow sight that will drop into the AR-15 carry handle. I like the carry handle because I think it looks cool plus I find it handy at times and has a low profile. The main reason is I get a huge rush from making useful things then using them. I'm not likely to give up on this.

My phone camera shows pretty much what my eyes see except to me both sights are a blurr

I can't see the sights, just a big blurr unless I take my glasses off with some improvement. Red dot sight will be hard to beat
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-05-2018 at 08:54 AM.

I think these sights are way, WAY better: https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight, They never failed me in the past and the company support I got was awesome. There may be a lot of opinions by I'll stick by my choice of them since they were THE ONLY CHOICE that got me out of major problems.
    Last edited by DeepWall357; 12-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWall357 View Post
    I think these sights are way, WAY better: https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight They never failed me in the past and the company support I got was awesome. There may be a lot of opinions by I'll stick by my choice of them since they were THE ONLY CHOICE that got me out of major problems.
    I already have a Pulsar thermo imaging scope. Almost bought an ATN Thermo imaging scope but from reading reviews they had terrible customer support. Glad your experience was awesome. I do find their day/night scopes interesting, they must be night vision, and the price is very attractive. One of my hunting buddies bought an ATN night scope but I have not seen it yet. How far away can they see at night. I still have a Firefield night vision scope that is setup on my 223 that I loan to guest hog hunters. It was a great little scope for $280 but the thermo imaging is 1000% better. Went from 6 hogs per year to 17. Leave tomorrow for Florida. Probably be in my tree stand Sunday night watching for hogs.

Didn't plan to use the trijicon sights for night use, just looking for a better sight for my old eyes and a shop project. Night sights are useless if the target can't be seen. I started out with a red dot sight for night hunting with a night vision monocular (Night Owl I think). One night I could plainly see a hog in the bait pile through the night owl monocular but the hog was invisible through the red dot scope. I had one of those cool flashlights mounted to my AR-15. Turned on the flash light and that hog went from 0 to 35 mph in a single stride. Next day I ordered the FireField night vision scope and started shooting wild hogs.

Tool & Die Maker

Test fired my day glow sights at a gun range near Palm Coast Florida. I was not
    Impressed they were both blurred. Removed my glasses and the blur cleared up
    Continued shooting and was happy with the results. The sights worked out pretty well

I don't know where I've been but I just saw this. A Tasco 3-9 held up on a SAW? That's a pretty cheap scope and pretty impressive results.

Banned
    Last edited by Pipercub; 02-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

I would like to see how you mounted those glow sights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I would like to see how you mounted those glow sights.
    XS Front and Meprolight rear, both are tritium. Had to profile front sight to barrel, removed more off barrel.
    Lowered front sight enough to drill & pin. Rear was less work to match, slight removal of material to match and pin.

"No opinion about them but I liked the laser range finder that I bought recently, Made all the difference for me. In case you're seeing this range finder and your reasoning I can get the something comparative for less cash, you're likely off-base.
    It came with a remarkable guarantee. That was the reasoning behind my buy. It is pricier than other rangefinders, nevertheless I truly needed that clasp and the guarantee is nothing to disregard. This ought to be the last rangefinder you should buy. On the off chance that it crushes send it back, in the event that you lose it that is your flaw. Additionally other helpful things to note about this rangefinder: It shows your battery life. It is in lit up presentation so in low light you can at see it. "
    Last edited by FallInti; 07-12-2019 at 04:09 AM.