Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC question - Recommendation for a pocket flashlight

Default EDC question - Recommendation for a pocket flashlight

I am in the market for an EDC pocket flashlight. I'm a cheapskate, okay? I'm not going to buy a $175 tactical flashlight, no matter how great Wranglerstar says it is. BTW, I think Wranglerstar is great, and I have no complaints, whines, or bixxxes about him, his videos, or his recommendations.

Right now, I carry a plastic, 9 LED, 3-AAA battery light that cost $1. flashlight.jpg

It has served me well, but it is a piece of junk, and I'm surprised it still works (I have to shake it sometimes). I'm sure it'll give out when I need it the most.

I like this size, but not thrilled with the 3-AAAs.

I would prefer input from you guys rather than online reviews. I just don't trust them anymore. For example, if I'm considering something from Horrible Fright (I know. Don't say it.), the reviews go from "Great deal. Works great!" to "Total piece of [stuff]. Don't waste your money!". Same thing everywhere else.

Thanks ahead of time.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The trick with the HF pocket lights is that you have to replace them when the batteries go dead. Do not try to keep them for longer than the batteries last.

If your HF light has lasted for a year and cost a dollar then buy two and figure that you are good for two years.

Those pocket lights come as a free-bee with purchase and I have them all over the house. Often I take their free light or the free volt meter, just as a source of free AAA or 9v battery. They are giving you $3-$4 worth of batteries free.

Their little flat magnetic work light that they give free with purchases is fantastic. I have one in each vehicle, but it is not pocket size.

Any light the "experts" decide is worth using is going to be pricey. I am like you, I quit believing what the You-tube reviews or store supplied reviews say. But at least HF posts the bad reviews as well as the good ones.

Even if something is rated poorly due to the greater expectations of some very picky people, if you know it is a one year use item and will be replaced for $1 you still got your moneys worth for sure. I do not care if the case has a burr on the edge, the lens cover is flimsy, the switch button is ugly or the leds are harsh, it cost $1!

Aside from that I have had good luck with the Mag-lite products in all their forms from small to large. I would pay $15-$20 for the pocket size Mag-lite and call it money well spent.

Walmart even has a sale on right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maglite-M...-Black/7812749
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Actually, this isn't an HF one, but it's from a place like Big Lots, so it's on par. I have a bunch of those sort-of-rectangular blue HF lights, too. Yes, I got'em free, and I like 'em, but they fail randomly, too. I don't like the HF aluminum lights (similar to mine), because the threads on the cap gall so easily.

Anyway, I'm looking for something in the $10-15 range that will be dependable. I guess I'll just get something, and see how it works, then review it here for next guy.

I probably should've just done that anyway, but hey, I like it here so I figgered I'd ask first.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I am looking hard at this one. Couple of folks at work have them, and they seem to hold up well.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...with-uv-light/
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post

Anyway, I'm looking for something in the $10-15 range that will be dependable. I guess I'll just get something, and see how it works, then review it here for next guy.

I probably should've just done that anyway, but hey, I like it here so I figgered I'd ask first.
    This is when Walmart is your friend. I was down there today after reading your post and glanced through their flashlight section. They have hundreds of different lights in all price ranges, sizes and shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    This is when Walmart is your friend. I was down there today after reading your post and glanced through their flashlight section. They have hundreds of different lights in all price ranges, sizes and shapes.
    But if I get it at Walmart, I won't be a REAL wilderness survivor-type person. Don't I have to get a from a place like "Kick-Axx Gear", or "Mountain Man Suppliers", or "Jeremiah Johnson's Survival Stuff"?

I carry a Thrunite T10 everywhere I go. I have one for work and one for everywhere else.
    Thrunite at Amazon
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

From either Lowes or Home Depot the Lux Pro or Utilitech lights have served me well for quite a long time. My preference is the Lux Pro. On any of the many smallish flashlights I have, I prefer the on/off push button to be on the tail rather than the side.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    From either Lowes or Home Depot the Lux Pro or Utilitech lights have served me well for quite a long time. My preference is the Lux Pro. On any of the many smallish flashlights I have, I prefer the on/off push button to be on the tail rather than the side.
    OK Crash wins!

Never argue the merits of flashlights with a man that makes his living crawling under houses in Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I carry a Thrunite T10 everywhere I go. I have one for work and one for everywhere else.
    Thrunite at Amazon
    Do you have to cycle through all those modes, or can you select directly?

I really don't get the need for "strobe" mode. I guess if I wanted to set up a disco to finish off my final hours lost in the woods, then it would come in handy. Dying in a disco really isn't on my "bucket list".

Cheez! Disco and Bucket List. Two things I hate. What's wrong with me this morning?

Thanks, crash. I'll check those out next time I'm in either place.

To be honest, I was also hoping to use the flashlight to round out a $25 order on Amazon. I have a couple of cheapy things I want to order, and I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay shipping.

OK Crash wins!

Never argue the merits of flashlights with a man that makes his living crawling under houses in Florida!
    For under the houses and in the attics I use a 3000 lumen light (a questionable claim from the manufacturer) that isn't too large and was reasonable in price ($50 from Academy Sports), but I have the Lux Pro in my pocket so I can find my way out if one fails.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Do you have to cycle through all those modes, or can you select directly?

I really don't get the need for "strobe" mode. I guess if I wanted to set up a disco to finish off my final hours lost in the woods, then it would come in handy. Dying in a disco really isn't on my "bucket list".

Cheez! Disco and Bucket List. Two things I hate. What's wrong with me this morning?
    No strobe on the ones I have. Just 3 levels of brightness. They turn on to the last brightness setting used unless battery is low, then to the highest setting there is enough power for. Plus I can clip it to my hat and use it like a headlamp.
    Not a big fan of disco or BLs either.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Most of those with strobes that I have seen are advertised/geared toward the "tactical" crowd with the explanation of you can blind an attacker with it. Yeah right. I would prefer to blind the attacker with the 800 lumen light that is attached to my 45.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Most of those with strobes that I have seen are advertised/geared toward the "tactical" crowd with the explanation of you can blind an attacker with it. Yeah right. I would prefer to blind the attacker with the 800 lumen light that is attached to my 45.
    This is why I like this forum.

I am in the market for an EDC pocket flashlight. I'm a cheapskate, okay? I'm not going to buy a $175 tactical flashlight, no matter how great Wranglerstar says it is. BTW, I think Wranglerstar is great, and I have no complaints, whines, or bixxxes about him, his videos, or his recommendations.
    Well, I do EDC a $175 tactical light so take this with a grain of salt. How much are you willing to spend on a light? At the cheaper-but-still-decent end I think the Streamlight MicroStream is a nice light. The single AAA version is about twenty bucks. I have a few of them and they've held up pretty well for several years. If you want a bit more output the 2 x AAA Streamlight Stylus Pro is a bit brighter with better runtime.

The next steps up I suppose might include Fenix, Olight or JETBeam. They all make pretty good quality Chinese lights at a wide range of price points.

There's a wide range of lights between the $1 big box junkers and the $750 boutique lights! My main EDC lights are from Malkoff and Elzetta. Probably you're not very interested in a $150 Malkoff MDC but it's a great light that won't crap out when you need it most.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    At the cheaper-but-still-decent end I think the Streamlight MicroStream is a nice light. The single AAA version is about twenty bucks. I have a few of them and they've held up pretty well for several years. If you want a bit more output the 2 x AAA Streamlight Stylus Pro is a bit brighter with better runtime.
    Thanks. I'll check that one out.

I just noticed you said "single AAA". Did you mean AA?

No, the MicroStream uses a single AAA battery. If you don't mind a twisty the Olight i3E EOS is also fantastic. It's much brighter than the MicroStream and also uses a single AAA battery. The Olight has a much shorter run time due to the high output so it's horses for courses. While I always have a hi-powered tactical light on me, I edc a keychain with a Spyderco Dragonfly in HAP40, an Olight i3E EOS and a Delin AAA battery locker from CountyComm. Takes very little space and weighs very little, gives my a solid knife and a light with a spare battery.

If your HF light has lasted for a year and cost a dollar then buy two and figure that you are good for two years.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maglite-M...-Black/7812749
    You're right, kyrat. Imagine that! ;o)

I found an old HF aluminum light (the kind I bashed in a previous reply) and it still works, too. HF's crap must be getting a little less crappy.