Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC question - Recommendation for a pocket flashlight

To me it's worth spending more for a flashlight, at least a bit more. That particular HF model is unknown to me, but by and large my experience with very cheap lights has been negative. They tend to crap out on my at the most inopportune times. Abuse doesn't even seem to be the issue, even the ones carefully stored and just played with seem to die early. Also the cheapest ones seem to have very poor tint. That doesn't bother some people so I'll say that one comes down to personal preference. But I do think spending $20 for a Streamlight gets you a bit more reliabilty and durability than the average uber cheap Chinese specials.

Actually, I agree with you, too, Phaedrus, which is why I originally posted. However, if I can't find exactly what I want. I 'll just keep looking.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Several things to the advantage of the HF cheapo light.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-i...ght-63884.html

First they are $1.99 all day every day. Sometimes I go into HF and buy the light at $1.99 just to get the free giveaway thing on offer. If you get any one of a number of magazines there is a 20% off coupon so they wind up costing you $1.80 plus the free pack of screw drivers of the free work light or free magnetic tool strip or whatever.

Second, yes they are crappy, but you know that so you carry one in each pocket, in the glove box, in the console and rolling around on the floor of the car. They are like Tribbles. I found one last night that had hidden down the side of the recliner for an unknown number of years. It still worked. I put it in the lamp table and it escaped during the night. I don't know where that thing ran off too but it will turn up latter.

Third, if it falls apart on the first day take the batteries out and use them somewhere else. The batteries are worth more than $1.99!

Now when was the last time you had that much fun over a $50 flashlight?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Several things to the advantage of the HF cheapo light.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-i...ght-63884.html

First they are $1.99 all day every day. Sometimes I go into HF and buy the light at $1.99 just to get the free giveaway thing on offer. If you get any one of a number of magazines there is a 20% off coupon so they wind up costing you $1.80 plus the free pack of screw drivers of the free work light or free magnetic tool strip or whatever.

Second, yes they are crappy, but you know that so you carry one in each pocket, in the glove box, in the console and rolling around on the floor of the car. They are like Tribbles. I found one last night that had hidden down the side of the recliner for an unknown number of years. It still worked. I put it in the lamp table and it escaped during the night. I don't know where that thing ran off too but it will turn up latter.

Third, if it falls apart on the first day take the batteries out and use them somewhere else. The batteries are worth more than $1.99!

Now when was the last time you had that much fun over a $50 flashlight?
    I go in and buy something cheap that I can use for a buck or two (sunglasses, funnels, paint brush pack, etc.) just to get a freebie. I have a huge stack of the small blue tarps, and several tape measures. I got a bunch of the blue rectangular LED flashlights and used them as stocking stuffers.

We think alike, kyrat. One of use should be worried.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

The update you've all been anxiously awaiting:

I bought this Horrible Fright flashlight a few moths ago (shortly after the last post):

63936_I.jpg

It uses only 2 AAAs, end-to-end, so it's compact, and not so long. It's way brighter that the freebie HFs. It dosen't have the funky battery caddy (or whatever that plastic thing is called that hold the 3 batteries and causes all the problems). It seems pretty durable, too. I've dropped it a few times with ho problem.

It burned up the HF batteries that came with it pretty quickly, but regular alkalines seem to be lasting.

I would recommend it. Only $5.59 + tax (with the 20% off coupon).

https://www.harborfreight.com/65-lum...ght-63936.html

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post

We think alike, kyrat. One of use should be worried.
    Don't worry John Lee, everyone is crazy except me and you, but then occasionally I worry about you!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Guys i am hunter and I want to buy a mini powerful flashlight to put in my pocket, where can I find it?

I'm sure a lot of stores in Bucharest have them.

Hey!
    Are you still finding? I think you need to take ride on internet before directly went market!

I knew it, you don't believe on reviews, but reviews also comes from experience and all!

I'm using Spam. It's true that I'm an idiot, but I like spam.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-03-2021 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

When I first started hunting, I also used cheap flashlights, which broke down quickly (I had one for two months the longest). But then I decided to order a lantern from the Internet for fifteen bucks that fits on the forehead and I had it for a very long time, it is convenient and practical with it. Of course, over time I switched to an expensive flashlight for a rifle, but I still consider such SPAM the best alternative[/URL] on the market if you don't want to spend a lot of money. I will say for myself, if you want to save money and at the same time get a quality product, then you will have to look for a long time, but in any case you will find something for yourself. Well, over time, I advise you to get expensive devices.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-07-2021 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

Now you see there ole drexelhub.....I told you that I would check in on you every day to make sure you were OK. Seems that you have joined the long list of stupid idiots, so I guess that you are not OK. There is no fixing stupid.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Somewhere, deep in the mountains of Spamackastan they train for years in hopes of slipping some SPAM past the Lone Wolf, the venerable Crashdrive123. Many have tried, all have failed, and yet they come, again again, like moths to a flame only to be vanquished and banished to the outer reaches of cyberspace. It is all they know.....

Alan

Spamackastan, Spamackastan. Hang on. I'm looking through the maps. Here it is...no. that's Baconstan. I'll find it.

Once you find Baconstan, why go any further?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Variety. It's like looking at the same woman...no, wait. Really bad example. Umm. Guns. Yeah, Guns. Forget that other thing. Guns. Variety = Guns. I've always said a guy can never have too many guns....What?

first one.i keep buying.but i keep losing them some how.lol.thats to expensive.
    The second one.i just ordered.we'll see how these go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392263304624

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P...b_b_prod_image
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Tile Mate Tracker.....Just sayin'....I keep one in my pocket in case I get lost I can find myself.

Do you have to cycle through all those modes, or can you select directly? I really don't get the need for "strobe" mode. I guess if I wanted to set up a disco to finish off my final hours lost in the woods, then it would come in handy here. Dying in a disco really isn't on my "bucket list". Cheez! Disco and Bucket List. Two things I hate. What's wrong with me this morning?

They have disco in North Africa? Who would have thunk it? I'll check back in on you from time to time because the ole Carnac the Magnificent is predicting a flashlight edit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"Flashing mode" on some flashlights might be useful for dazzling an attacker or burglar or a bear at night..
    The Brits experimented with powerful flashers on tanks in WW2-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Defence_Light