Thread: Organization day...

Default Organization day...

Sitting out in the gun room doing nothing (my favorite activity these days) watching it rain. I decided that I should at least do one thing. I started with the bullet moulds. I got the 12 that I use regularly (or at all) and hung them in the 12 spaces that I have for them (that used to be too many). The rest I put away (which means I put them on the shelf above where the others are hanging).

Then I tackled the dies. I emptied the case and put back 29 sets of rifle dies and 6 sets of pistol dies that I use regularly (or a all). The rest I put in boxes and stored in a cabinet (I haven't loaded any 300 H&H Magnum in a long time (ever) same with the 264 Win Mag, and the 7.7 Jap, and the 30-338 Mag, and and and and.....). Now they're all nice and clean and tidy.

Then on to the brass (I will be finished the brass on Monday afternoon). I'm going to keep the best 200 rounds of each rifle brass and 500 or 1000 cases of each pistol brass that I use regularly (or at all). The rest, I'm going to label and store for the day that will probably never come.

Next week, the bullets

and then

the ammunition.... The best for last...

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Every time I try to do that I realize that my house is too small and give up.

I have recently been eyeing the RV with speculation. I never use it for camping any more and it would make a dandy reloading room. 8'x27' with its own kitchen and bathroom!

I still have not found the snake that took up residence in there. That worries me a bit.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have one of those RVs too. #1 wife will not let me park it in the driveway though. Kinda unreasonable at times she is. Last year I bought a 40' shipping container and put it out at #3 son's place with the deal that he can use it too. He moved all his furniture and household stuff into it while his house was being finished. No that that is done. I'm slowly categorizing my belongings into stuff I use and stuff I never use. The never use stuff is going into the container in a semi-organized manner. Between storage and outright giving stuff to my sons, I am starting to be able to actually work in my shop, and do things in my gun room without spending an hour clearing a spot.

At least with the snake you'd have company and maybe somebody to practice quick draw with!

Alan

You guys are way too organized. It made me tired just reading that. I think I need to rest my eyes a bit. Maybe a nap would be in order. Then I'll think about your guys organizing something and take another nap.

Being organized will make you lonely.

How you ask? Well, for us less than organized people.......when we are working on a project and need a piece, part or doo-dad that we know we have.......but can't find it, we head to the store to get another one. While there we talk with the clerk, the manager, the waitress next door to the store (may as well get some coffee while we are out) and on and on.

Now just think - if I knew where that piece, part or doo-dad was I would not have been involved with conversation with so many. Yep, being unorganized keeps us from becoming lonely.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I'm actually not all that organized, but, I have learned that whenever I am asked about my current activity at any particular moment (and there is someone to whom that seems to be very important) while I am sitting (or standing occasionally) in the midst of what appears to the untrained eye as, disarray, if I simply answer "Organizing all this stuff", it seems to be the most satisfying answer I have found. Then I can get back to whatever I was doing. Occasionally I have to decline an offer of assistance in organizing. If the person offering help persists, I will hold up an object at hand and ask,

Me: "Do you know what this is and where it goes?"
    Person: "It's a gun thing?"
    Me: "Sort of. It's a caliper"
    Person: "What?"
    Me: "Caliper."
    Person: "Right, caliber, gun thing"
    Me: "No (never say 'wrong'), Cal-liP-er. Measuring thingy"
    Person: "it looks like a clock"
    Me: "......... uh huh.... it's not"
    Person: "....... I was just trying to help!"
    Me: "...thanks... oh well, back to work organizing! Next I'll organize my shoes, both of them."
    Person: (walks away)

Works about 50% of the time.

Alan

I just woke up. I'm all rested from having read this earlier today. It dawned on me that over the years I've dropped a lot of screws, bolts and nuts. Most of which, are probably under the work bench some place. That's part of the inheritance to my boys. When I die, they can slide out the workbench and they will never have to buy another screw, bolt or nut as long as they live. Your welcome, boys.

They'll say they knew you had some screws loose and probably some missing, but they never knew it was so bad.

Alan

Well, there is that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This organizing thing is getting to be kinda fun actually. It's like Christmas! I'll clear a shelf and there's always one or two things that I'd forgot I had! I found my sling shot and the oak trees are dropping lots of acorns. It's not going to go well for that big tomcat that is stealing my Sweetiepie's food tomorrow!

I found a Speer and a Lyman loading manual that I had forgotten about. There's another coffee can full of brass of one kind or another on every shelf. I could open an "American Rifleman" Archive library. There's dozens of slips of paper with load data written on them that I'm transcribing onto one big sheet of paper so that I can lose it all at one time instead of piecemeal. Three old hunting licenses that I put with the other 55+. Some old thee blade broadheads. A hand full of smashed bullets and torn off jackets picked up over the years. Cartridges of unknown origin and or composition.

I've probably got two or three more weeks to go. Deer season will be open by then and I'll have to shut it down for a while. A young doe or a spike buck might not better push their luck to far this year. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I was "organizing" a safe the other day and realized (remembered) I had a Marlin 336-A DL in 32 Special that has not been bloodied. I even found some ammo for it! How bout that! Imagine the luck.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, one of the nice things about having a standard load for your main calibers is that when you find a coffee can full of 9mm, .38 or 30-06 you do not have to stop and wonder,"what did I put in that batch?"

And one good tip I got from a friend years ago was writing the load data for new cartridges on the shop wall.

Of course if you move every year that one is no use to you but old geezers that stay planted can make use of it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I ended up with three boxes of ziplocs of brass and five boxes of brass that's going to storage. Then I noticed that I have a large rubbermaid tub of plastic cartridge boxes. I filled them and a small amount of brass left over went into the storage pile. I cleaned off a shelf that had junk piled on it and put the boxed brass up there.

So, end result is that I turned eight boxes in to no boxes. I don't know what I'm going to do with all the space!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    They'll say they knew you had some screws loose and probably some missing, but they never knew it was so bad.

Alan
    Don't worry Rick. You'll never go as far down that road as I have.

Ever watch "Hoarders"? They make pathways through their junk to get to the other side. I've thrown away garbage bags of stuff regularly but still have a path. I do have general areas for some categories of junk. Camping gear, water gear (wetsuits, dry suits, pfd's, fins, masks, leashes, paddles), Rendezvous, etc. Then there's the wife's overflow of stuff she can't fit into her space inside the house. She has an entire bedroom. Not good enough.

We're doomed to continue to hoard.

The only cure for hoarding is to continually get larger and larger domiciles. That way, with all the stuff spread out, it doesn't look like as much.

Alan