Thread: Beeman P17

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Beeman P17

I am going to give a plug to a pistol I bought a few weeks back. It is the Beeman P17 and it is a real dandy. On top of that it is so cheap that everyone should have one!

The Beeman and Weihrauch companies are very closely tied together. Weihrauch making premium German air guns and Beeman importing and selling them.

A few years back Beeman was bought out by the Marksman Company makers of very cheap air guns often sold at Walmart and other chains. That was when we started to see the cheap Beeman guns on the shelves at Wallyworld at bargain prices. They were part of the Marksman Chinese production side, not the high quality German side of the Beeman import company.

The high quality side of Beeman decided they needed a new air pistol for the American market and had the Weihrauch engineers design a nice one called the Beeman P3 and it is a very nice pistol that sells for $230. A fine piece of German technology.

The Marksman side of Beeman takes one look at the German gun and gets to thinking, "we can make it cheaper."

So they did and somewhere along the way when the Chinese were told to make an exact copy real cheap, they did. And they wound up making a very cheap good quality pistol.

So now Beeman is in the situation where they sell a really nice $230 pistol and a knock off of the exact same pistol made in China for 10% of cost of their quality product, and it is almost as good!

You can read all the features from the spec sheet and be sure that all the specs are correct. Mine chronos out at 425 fps using light pellets and just over 400fps using 8 grain standard pellets. It went through 4 layers of shipping box grade cardboard but would easily be stopped by a trap made from 3/8" plywood or lighter material if one used sheet metal as a backing plate.

The trigger is as good as any production cartridge gun I own. Not Colt Python quality but close to S&W out of the box, way better than the Sigma, and better than most out of the box Rugers. It also shoots into little tiny groups.

In my retired oblivion I have taken to the habit of sitting in the recliner in the living room listening to soothing Jazz and shooting the Beeman into a pellet trap across the room. This pistol has a 6" riffled steel barrel! I have a moderately priced ($50) red dot on the pistol and the groups at 15 feet are incredibly boring. I stopped using target dots and have replaced the aiming points with dots the size of a pencil eraser and the groups seem to cluster very tightly never expanding to more than 3/8".

Outside, on my 25 yard range, on a calm day it will group inside 4". Due to the ballistics of an 8 grain pellet the point of impact is 6" above POA for my 15 foot range, but the group is tight.

At 400fps this is not a hunting pistol. It is not even a pistol for really windy days outside. But it is an excellent pistol for those of us facing a long winter cooped up indoors and wishing we had some really accurate firearm to shoot in the basement, garage, under the carport, or while sitting in the recliner listening to Miles Davis.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-14-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice review. You might get me to bite.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sometimes you can pick them up at Walmart, hanging on the rack in a blister pack.

I have even had good luck using the crappy Crossman and Daisy pellets at the close ranges involved. I have been using mine to use up the stock of Walmart pellets I refuse to shoot out of my HW30.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

been going to pick something like that for plinking in the basement. Looks like a good deal
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?