Thread: Rendezvous Shelter?

Default Rendezvous Shelter?

I just got a nice new 12X12 tarp with reinforcement and tiedowns. Very happy with a very versatile piece of period correct gear. But it stinks. My wife said it stunk the whole living room up. We blamed it on Max at first. Nope, it's a fart tarp.

Do you guys wash new canvas or just let it wear off?

Doesn't pitching a tarp in the living room sort of defeat the purpose?

Don't you just hate it when someone answers a question with a completely unrelated question?

Mad, I always just allow my living room tarps to mellow with age, the bedroom tarps I allow #1 squaw to wash as she pleases.

Alan

At our age we sometimes have to be reminded of the obvious, okay? We can get confused. Although, come to think of it. Living room tarps are a carry over from living room blankets that started around age 6. Those were hung from tables and chairs. Hmm. Carry on.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Max if you wash that tarp with any detergent or chemical to remove the stink it will remove the waterproofing that was applied at the factory.

Wife decided the big 12'x14' wall tent was too dirty, scrubbed it down. It never was completely waterproof after that. $1,000 tent ruined over "housekeeping addiction".

String it up outside for a day or two. Let it air out.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yup. Seems to be the consensus in 2 other forums. Given the fact that my wife (Although a great camper) has 0 interest in participating in a rendezvous ( She readily admits she just doesn't get it), I will be the only one under it. So it's on the clothesline right now. If it still smells in Jan... oh well.

Thank you,

Tony

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you have the room in the yard leave it up for a week or two. The smell will go away. You don't want to be the farbee staying in the new shelter anyway!

If you are the only one under it then after 10 days at the Alafi no one will be able to tell the difference between your tent and any of the ripe buckskinners within 1/4 mile.

I wish I could come down but that trip is 975 miles door to gate. I know cause I did it back in 2012. I had a blast and wished I had bought several items I saw and can not get up here.

There was a guy selling real nice alligator skin accessories and I passed them up and had remorse before I was back home. You just don't see good quality gator accessories up here in NKY.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No. By Jiminy and it better stay that way or I'm movin' farther north.

Lil ol gator won't hurt nobody. In fact they'll eat all the snakes, well, a lot of them anyway.

Alan

It's not the snake eatin' I'm worried about. In fact, snakes can out run me. Well, out crawl me. Well, both actually.

Rick, they're on to you. I think they're trying to surround you.

Alan

https://www.freep.com/story/news/nat...an/1567221002/

Blasphemous, I'm tellin' ya! Just blasphemous! And that is the reason Chicago has brutal winters. To keep dinosaurs at bay.