Thread: Michael

Default Michael

Anybody on here in the path of this thing?

Alan

Looks like the whole panhandle is in it's path. And now they predict it could be a cat 4.
    If it's coming toward you be smart and be safe. Get out.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

It's a 4 now. Prediction is it will go in as a 4 and stay a 3 on into Georgia a ways. If you go outside and hold up a finger, it's really hard to tell the difference between a 3 and a 4. Hope everybody has things tied down and plenty of gas for their generators.

Alan

Looks like the Panhandle took a devastating hit. A convoy of over 300 utility trucks left this morning from a staging area about an hour west of me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There's a fellow on another forum who lives 15 - 20 miles West of Tallahassee. Last post was at 1:27 PM yesterday. Said he expected the power to go out any time. Trouble with a storm like that is it knocks out our modern communications. Cell phone towers, WiFi towers, satellite receivers, etc, get hit. Sometimes the good old land line is all that's left, and how many people have those?

Alan

Actually, the cell phone is more likely to work. Land line is often fed by aerial cable which is down for the count because of wind and debris. All phone offices have battery service and the larger offices have generator backup to keep the batteries charged. The cell towers have gen backup as well. The smaller offices have external connections for a portable gen that is pulled there and plugged in. Someone mans it to keep it fueled. Even though you may not have voice service on your cell phone you may be able to text so it's worth giving that a shot before giving up.

We had cell service and internet through the cell phone during and after Harvey. Lost water and power. I don't know about the land line, I haven't had one since 08.

During and after Katrina, my BIL had water and land line in New Orleans, but nothing that came from a tower or satellite. Nothing worked on a cell phone.

I'd imagine that cell phones are a bit more sophisticated now as any of them can become a hot spot on its own.

Alan

That's one thing I don't have to worry about here in Colorado - wait....there was an Arctic hurricane in The Day After Tomorrow....

No, I don't have to worry about hurricanes any more - I just have to worry about the folks that's still there in the Southeast.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The aftermath in FL looks like Homestead after Andrew. I imagine we are just seeing a very small part of the damage. And hearing a very small portion of the loss that people have had.

What I have seen in the news, and of Mexico beach, it's bad.

Alan

It turns out I had a niece that was visiting in Miramar Beach, Fl. and stayed! Others she was with bugged out and went home but she didn't. Fortunately, she came through it okay. She will live hard when she gets home. Everyone is ticked at her over her decision to stay. Yeah, she's from Illinois. 'Nuf said.

There's hurricanes that you can stay for and there's hurricanes that you should run from. When we lived in South Louisiana, we left for just nearly every one. On higher ground, where wind is the only factor, staying is an option, up to cat 4. Then you'd better take a long hard look at where you're planning to stay. The average brick veneer house can take a lot of wind from a big hurricane if the roof stays on. The average brick veneer house will come apart like so many toothpicks in a smallish tornado spun off of a hurricane.

Glad your niece is okay. She'll have a tale to tell and there'll likely be one or two of her family who will secretly wish they were there.

When Katrina hit New Orleans, I was on the phone with my BIL before it hit. He stayed and had a couple of candy bars and a gallon of milk for prep. I said, "Hellsbells, I've been preparing for something like this for my whole life, I've got every imaginable gadget and contraption for surviving the end of times and here you are going into it with a Milky Way and a glass of milk". I don't know if he thought it was funny or not. I didn't. Things like that are fun to look back on...

Alan

I didn't mind the hurricanes....except they killed the air conditioning for a time and brought is hot weather. I love storms. I'm not so hot on being here and having friends there.

I lived in south Alabama for 20 years and there are a lot of people there to worry about. Not to mention all my family in Georgia. And South Carolina has been hammered quite enough - that's where Vincent's (my dog) family is.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.