Thread: Wanna bug-out to Arkansas?

Default Wanna bug-out to Arkansas?

Forgive me for posting something from the Washington Post. I in no way endorse that rag. BTW, what derogatory term will we have to use if they stop publishing paper versions?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.dd6597f19544

I wouldn't recommend Arkansas, anyway. I'm down-prevailing-wind from a nuclear power plant.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Some of my family moved from Arkansas to Texas many years ago. At one time I thought I would want to live there. I spent about a month looking around for the best place to make a home...I understand why they left. I live in Texas.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I don't think I would enjoy living in Arkansas.

I would probably get very tired of people looking at me strangely and saying, "You live where?"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah, I've had that happen.

I was visiting SoCal and going to a church that we used to go to. A friend we were talking to introduced us to someone. When I said we had moved from there to Arkansas, she said, casually and seriously, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Hopefully, she's not a greeter.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

When I was growing up we lived in Arkansas off and on, mostly in Pine Bluff. My grandparents lived in Arkansas, some outside Pine Bluff the others in the northeast corner of the state. No family lives there now. Most live in Texas, south Mississippi and Louisiana. Couple years ago I read that P.B. was the worst city of it's size in the U.S.A.
    I did do some camping around Pocahontas on the White river back in the day and it was a pretty nice area.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I live in north central Arkansas, and it's beautiful. Not quite in the Ozarks, but it gets even more beautiful as you go north.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    I live in north central Arkansas, and it's beautiful. Not quite in the Ozarks, but it gets even more beautiful as you go north.
    I grew up in Mountain Home, Arkansas, in the north central part of the State. I would not trade my childhood and youth for anything. I feel sorry for kids who can not grow up in such a wonderful environment. Arkansas was a fine place to be when was there.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

BTW, did anyone go to the link?

I did. I like caving. And I'm a fully certified cave diver. But we came out of living in caves a long time ago. For a number of reasons. Plus I ain't got the bucks for that set up. LOL. I like my little cabin in the woods. I like cooking over an open fire. I like weather, stars, sun, moon, wind, and clouds. I frankly don't want to try and outlast a nuclear winter.

Besides, he eats funny things and they would be two headed after a nuclear winter. That might even be past his ability to stomach. On the other hand...

Stay tuned for a cow patty BBQ in a couple of weeks.

A cow named Patty would be pretty mundane. Seriously.

I could do worse.

"And you shall eat the food as you would a barley cake, after you bake it over dried human excrement in the sight of the people."
    Ezekiel 4:12

It's biblical man.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I could do worse.

"And you shall eat the food as you would a barley cake, after you bake it over dried human excrement in the sight of the people."
    Ezekiel 4:12

It's biblical man.
    I sure hope there's a special context to that.

It had to be in the sight of the people so they didn't get them mixed up.

MadMax has has been dying to cook over a cow patty fire at one of our camps. It's in a wildlife management area along the Kissimmee River. Local ranchers lease the land for grazing. There is never a shortage of cow patties ........ dry or wet. When cooking, choose wisely.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You can not properly cook over then unless they stay together when you throw them like a frisbee.

I have seen pictures of pioneer women out on the prairies carting wheelbarrow loads of cow chips home to use for fuel.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'll bet they made the kids pick 'em up. "There's one Johnny." "Aaah, Ma."