Thread: Mushroom gardening experience?

Exclamation Mushroom gardening experience?

Hi folks.
    I have a question regarding Mushroom gardens. I was wondering if anyone has any experience raising mushrooms.

I have never raised them purposefully before, but have been foraging them for many years. I stick mostly to Chicken of the Woods and Hen of the Woods. Does anyone have any experience with these two in particular?

I saw online that you could buy spores.. I was thinking of tossing a few big oak logs behind a shed of mine that is almost always in a shady spot, drilling some holes, adding spores, and then sealing them off with wax or something similar and letting them do their work.

Are there any problems i should look out for or perhaps an easier or more efficient way to go about it?
    I mean, I don't mind foraging, actually enjoy it, and have quite a few spots i go back to year after year- but I'm thinking it would be really great to have a private source right on my own property, where I wouldn't have to ever worry about someone else beating me to them.

Thanks in advance for sharing any tips.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Hunter always did a mushroom in the box thing. Here's a thread he did a few years ago. It might not be what you're looking but might be a way to start and give you some experience and some ideas about raising them.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=mushrooms

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

He also had a thread on growing them in rotten logs back in the day but I can not find it.

It could have been a comment or continuation of a thread we hi-jacked. Can't imagine a thread being hi-jacked around here!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

He would get a shiitake mushroom log from time to time as well. I did find a thread where he talked about some other mushroom options. He was yakking with Lowkey.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=mushroom+logs

Thanks guys! I knew I remembered seeing something here back awhile ago but was having trouble finding it.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I miss Hunter
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Yeah, he's no doubt at a great rendezvous enjoying the perfect campfire and a perfect cup of coffee with a perfect bacon samich. And all his past dogs laying at his feet.