Thread: Gettin' Old...er

Default Gettin' Old...er

I just caught myself going back 43 years to induction. They bussed us to Jax. Did all the physicals and swearing in and signing. Cut us loose for one last night of debauchery. Next morning hung over, sick, head killing us... then Orlando basic. I hate those guys to this day. And it got worse. Hair cut. AAAHH!!! Some pimply faced ***, " WHERE'S MY CLOTHES PIN!!!" All frickin' night! I wish I remembered his name. I'd find him. Basic was actually not bad. I was Athletic Petty Officer. I was lifeguard at the pool for work week. Yeah. Hate me. But I had to march the guys that messed up to IT (Intensive Training). At first I thought, "Cool" then they yelled at me that I had to join in the festivities. Bummer. We only had one guy that got MT (Motivational Training). Major suck. I hated that guy and he washed out. All that for nothing. The chow was great. My CC was great. This time probably shaped me. I was so young and naïve.

When I stepped off the train at the station in Orlando for Boot Camp I saw a thermometer that was mounted on the wall before boarding the bus. 113. It was a warm and steamy Boot Camp.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I went in on Valentines Day. Weather wasn't too bad. I always thought the guys that locked their knees at parade rest and tipped over when they fainted HAD to have a concussion. I can't imagine being there in the FL summer.

Remember the infamous helicopter rendezvous'.

We were bussed from Jax to Orl. Some guys tried to bluster their way through the scary anticipation, but most sat, nursing a hangover, and having second thoughts.
    Last edited by madmax; 09-28-2018 at 06:53 AM.

When I went to Philadelphia for my induction physical in 1970, I was of course still drunk as I was a red-blooded American boy! They lined us up and told us to drop our drawers. They then said to bend over and spread our cheeks; I did and they didn't think it was very funny. They then asked if I was drunk and then amended my results appropriately --- "Congratulations, you're in the Army".
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

LMAO! One guy got cute like that and the medic stuck his finger in his mouth. He will forever be known as ****finger. Not to his face of course. The guy was big with a sketchy background.
    Last edited by madmax; 09-28-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I went in on Valentines Day. Weather wasn't too bad. I always thought the guys that locked their knees at parade rest and tipped over when they fainted HAD to have a concussion. I can't imagine being there in the FL summer.

Remember the infamous helicopter rendezvous'.

We were bussed from Jax to Orl. Some guys tried to bluster their way through the scary anticipation, but most sat, nursing a hangover, and having second thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    When I went to Philadelphia for my induction physical in 1970, I was of course still drunk as I was a red-blooded American boy! They lined us up and told us to drop our drawers. They then said to bend over and spread our cheeks; I did and they didn't think it was very funny. They then asked if I was drunk and then amended my results appropriately --- "Congratulations, you're in the Army".
    My induction was in Newark, NJ. After the obligatory "bend over and spread your cheeks" the psychologist stood in front of each man and asked "Do you like girls?" The gentleman next to me was a 6'5" black man. His answer was "Why? Do you have a daughter MF?" He just went on to the next man.

September was not the best time for boot in Orlando......but of course it was the only Navy boot with girls. Yes, the helicopter and the obstacle course were popular with some.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My experience was slightly different and just a couple of years earlier in a drafted Army situation. Army boot camp was more like what the Marines do now.

You don't "wash out" of a drafted Army basic training program, you get recycled until you pass or they catch you doing something that gets you thrown in the stockade.

Just imagine eternal Boot Camp with Sgt. Emory on your butt 24/7.

And every training platoon had their own Forest Gump. Most also had a drafted graduate from some elite school with a Masters degree and college jocks that did not make the NFL draft. You gotta' have someone to tote the M60, right? .

Half our "recruits" were fresh out of the courtroom working under the "option program", the option of going to the Army or going to jail. The courts actually had a Marine recruiting sgt. with a desk in the courtroom in my county. Many parents took their sons directly to the recruiter when they got into trouble. Being gone to the Army was an acceptable excuse for not showing up in court to hear your auto theft charges read. Wash out of boot camp and you go back to jail.

You can not imagine the joys of being an officer in charge of such a "diverse cross section of American society", as one of my COs once described it.

When you hear an old geezer of 70 say he was a Viet Namn Vet just remind yourself that chances are he did not volunteer, he was drafted, or a "courtroom volunteer", and had no choice, hated being in the Army/Marines, dodged as much danger as possible and thought about fragging everyone above the rank of E3 at least once during his tour.

But I was an officer and operated under a special motivation. The trainers held our attention in a special way. "Pay attention Lieutenant, your life expectancy in combat is only 15 seconds and you are shaving time off that!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Every time I see a guy with a hat or jacket that says something about Viet Nam, I ask him if he was actually served in VN. If he says yes, I shake his hand and say, "Thank you for serving, and protecting us." The politics of the whole thing don't enter into for me. If he was there, voluntarily, or under duress, he has my gratitude, and compassion.

I'm sure what you say about most VN vets is true, but I'll keep doing it. The shXt that the media and other axxholes gave all members of the armed services back then needs a counter of some kind. I was born in 1962, but I remember hearing about people calling vets "baby killer" at the time, not just learning about it later. It still pixxes me off.

BTW, thank you to all of you who posted here. I haven't served in the military, but I have the utmost respect for those who have.

It may be improper protocol for a civvy, but here goes [stands at attention - salutes]
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Induction in OKC then flown to Ft. Jackson, SC for basic in what were WW11 barracks that were condemned after our cycle. Then to Ft. Lee, VA. I actually liked basic training. Back in the day when I was strong lol. Also, knowing guns already helped.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!