Thread: Emergency lighters

Default Emergency lighters

A while back I started some emergency lighters. I cut off a fired 270 Win case just behind the shoulder and deburred it. Then I stuffed a lantern wick that had been soaked in Potassium Nitrate (stump rot) up in the 270 case. Then I took a fired 45 ACO case and closed off the end. I fits pretty tight and only takes a little twist to get it on and off. I doubt if it is water proof but may be somewhat moisture proof.

I ordered some little ferro rods and I'm going to attach them by some method to the side of the 270 case. I'm thinking maybe JB Weld to start with.

I open the case, pull a little bit of the wick out and hold it down on a steady surface (I have been cheating a bit by shaving some magnesium shavings onto the wick. Then when the sparks catch, I've got the slow match and a handle.

When the fire is going the wick can be crushed out and the 45 ACP cap replaced. I'm thinking I'll shave some Mg into the 45 ACP cap and then the end of the wick will be in contact with it when it's ready for use. The idea being to have one handy little case the size of a cartridge that can be used to start a fire anywhere.

I'll post some pictures of the finished product when it's done.

Alan

Sounds like a cool project.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

IMG_1589.jpg

I need to work on attaching the ferorod to the case. I don't think JB Weld is going to be what I want. I may try some epoxy.

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post more pictures. The system keeps kicking them back saying I'm over my quota.

Anyway, it worked very well without magnesium shavings. Two good strikes and the slow match was going.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 09-24-2018 at 11:46 PM.

I think that the system allows you to post 100 pics. After that you will need to use a photo hosting site. I use IMGUR and like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel