Thread: bad news, my hunting lease up for auction

Tool & Die Maker

Default bad news, my hunting lease up for auction

Received a text from a friend in Florida. He says a sign appeared on my leased property, "148 acres for auction". No other details. This has been my worst fear. I may as well take up basket weaving now!!!

Bid on it.

Alan

Don't give up. Look into getting quota permits for places like Goethe WMA. It's free there and I'm sure other places.

Tool & Die Maker

There is a WMA about 2 miles away from my lease, can't use bait, can't hunt at night, can't use an AR-15. You can use a shotgun, handgun, or bow. I have heard horrible stories about other hunters on public land. Not sure it is worth the time and effort. Well, I emailed the land lord for the details, probably hear back Monday. Can't imagine this property is worth much. It is mostly swamp and natural springs, what can it be worth, who would want it? At least I'm well known in the area, maybe some opportunities will surface.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 09-15-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Contact the lease owner. Find out what's going on before you panic.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Contact the lease owner. Find out what's going on before you panic.
    I sent them an email, probably get a reply Monday. This is mitigation property, so it can only be used for hunting and wildlife observation. Hopefully won't sell real quick. It is not even good investment property because it is not buildable in my opinion. It is not enough property for a hunt club and to much for an individual to own just for hunting unless someone was rich. The wild hog population will be out of control unless someone either hunts or traps the property. There is 50 acres adjacent that has been for sale for the past 12 years and has not sold and it is not mitigation property. I have been stressed out all day over this. The AR-15's I have, the reloading and stuff is focused toward wild hog hunting. Without wild hog hunting I'll have little or no need for this stuff. I cancelled my trip to the shooting range today over this news. I'll be okay, just need to be patient.

Don't sweat it til you hear back!

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Don't sweat it til you hear back!
    I heard back, I guess it is not the end of the world:

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the email, hope you’re doing well. We’ve been trying to sell that property for a couple years now, so yes it’s up for sale via auction but not the type of auction where we’re obligated to sell. If we don’t get an offer we like we don’t have to sell. You’ve been a great lessee/property manager for us so we’d love to have you out there for as long as possible until an eventual sale if that works for you? We just unfortunately can’t hold on to these properties forever…

Let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks,

Well there you. Ask them what they're looking for on price. Maybe you can work something out with them or just stay where you are. Whatever works for you. Sounds like they are pretty happy with you and things are going your way.

Tool & Die Maker

Rick;

The property is somewhat affordable however, this is mitigation property. In the future it can only be used or hunting and wildlife observation. It Is very wet and swampy. It has several running springs on it. It is not investment property so the new owner can hunt on it then must sell to someone else that wants it for hunting it. If I bought it and left it to my kids it is somewhat of a boat anchor. But if someone had the money to more or less through away on this property it would be a deal. Also owning property in Florida and living in Illinois is not going to work well. There is a chance someone could charge people a fee for hunting and make it income property but that is not what I want to do, just think of the liability. There are people that buy property so they have a place to go hunting. Who knows.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 09-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Hunt devil's hammock

We own property that we only hunt and view wildlife. We do it by choice not because of any "mitigation". We decided long ago that having the property and using it for our enjoyment is what we wanted it for. We pay the taxes and enjoy the land. It is even more enjoyable with the weight of someday having it jerked out from under us off of our shoulders.

Evidently the current owners are taking a liability risk in leasing it to you. If you've got to have income from it, then there's insurance policies to cover liability in that regard. I do lease a tract of land (to my insurance agent) and he carries the liability insurance and each year he signs a waive of liability for me. He pays the policy as part of the gentleman's agreement we have.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Hope you get it worked out. Perhaps the current owners would be interested in owner financing.

Alan