Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaaaaalllllllaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!

Default Aaaaaalllllllaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!

#1 wife and #3 granddaughter found this guy in the back yard today. He was lucky I was home or he'd been Chop suey! Eastern (Texas) Hognose. Flattens out to bluff, plays dead if threatened.

Alan

IMG_1506.jpg

They remind me of my old business partner. A lot of bluster. No action.

Looks like it would make a nice sheath.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ah yes. I am reminded of the time my very new wife walked out the front door to find a very large black snake at the bottom of the steps. We had just bought the house but she was certain it was going on the market that day. There were a lot of things said that I'm certain even the big guy had his fingers in his ears. Many of which were aimed at me for not moving fast enough. For not killing it before she walked out there. etc, etc, you know how it goes. Ah, memories.

When we lived at the ranch I used to catch every black indigo I came across and turned it loose at the house. They are great for getting rid of unwanted pests. And, after 8 - 10 years, even wives get used to seeing them around.

Alan

Yeah, but I'll bet that was a tough 8-10 years.

they're texans
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I've spent some time there. I should really make a list for Texas as well. they've got some nasty things down there too. One of the first times I went down there I ordered a beer. The guy said do you want a large or small? I said bring me a large. Hokey Smokes. That things was huge. It gave new meaning to the phrase, "Honest, officer, I only had one." Dallas is the only place I've ever been where they water their foundation. True story.

You never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, you won't want to embarrass him.

I had to go to New Orleans to find #1 wife. She wasn't real happy about it at first but she's still here after 42 years...

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 09-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.

She's from an underwater city. She was probably really glad to leave. I don't want to live anywhere that I have to look up at the beach. Know what I mean?

The day we bought our property, we decidd to walk around the pond which is about 1700 steps. As we were walking we were saying some prayers in thanksgiving for getting the beautiful land, and I look down and see in Eastern hognose cross directly in front of my feet. Needless to say I stopped, screamed and DH just burst out laughing as he had seen it first. I have not seen one since, but with 50 acres and 45 of them heavily wooded, you better believe we have snakes. But they hide for me thank goodness
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    She's from an underwater city. She was probably really glad to leave. I don't want to live anywhere that I have to look up at the beach. Know what I mean?
    That's what I thought too,.... but it's not the only thing I've been wrong about.

Alan

I'm pretty good with seeing snakes, and my mind registers "rattlesnake" or "not rattlesnake" pretty quick. There have been times though. LIke the day I learned not to reach up onto the top shelf of the shed and feel around to "see" if anything else was up there...

Alan

That's it. I'm starting a list for Texas! In all my years in the Midwest I have never found anything on the shelf that was alive and could cause me great harm. If I found a snake of any kind on a shelf there would be a for sale on the house that afternoon. The snake would NOT be in the disclosure. Sorry.

It was one of those things that, you know when you touch it, that no real good is going to come of it. I'm sure that old Chicken Snake was just as scared as I was. That was 22 years ago. I don't know if the old ticker could take that kind of jumps start these days.

Alan

Yeah, a 22 yeah old chicken snake probably has a bad heart to start with.

"Tell us again, grandpa, about the time the giant man hand touched you."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That's it. I'm starting a list for Texas! In all my years in the Midwest I have never found anything on the shelf that was alive and could cause me great harm. If I found a snake of any kind on a shelf there would be a for sale on the house that afternoon. The snake would NOT be in the disclosure. Sorry.
    You have lived a sheltered life Rick! I am not much farther south than where you live and I encounter chicken snakes in the shed like Alan. You have them you just have not seen them.

I reached inside the door for a rake and discovered a chicken snake coiled on top of the stack of garden tools. It fell off when I removed the rake. I am not sure which of us was more shocked.

I see a couple of snakes in the shed every year and I refuse to work under the house during the summer months, but that is more due to the Brown Recluse situation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We've had a resident black snake for years under some Sago palms in the front lawn. He shares the space with a bunny. He likes to sunbathe on the front steps. I like non-poisonous snakes. Not in a weird way. I like them because I hate poisonous snakes.

Yeah, a 22 yeah old chicken snake probably has a bad heart to start with.

"Tell us again, grandpa, about the time the giant man hand touched you."

Well, it was dark and he just kept saying, "Rick? Rick?..."

Alan

In 28 years I have seen one snake on my premises. An Eastern Hognose. A wayward, lost his way, help me figure where the heck I am snake. I had a short discussion with him about the neighbors being far better than my place. Grass being greener and all. and he hurried himself over there. I presume the grass was better because I've never him (or her) since. I am not the kind of guy to kill a snake. I happen to find them most beneficial. But I'm also not the kind of guy to handle them. My way of thinking is I don't want them to handle me and I don't think they want me to handle them. So out of mutual respect we don't fondle one another. If you know what I mean.