Thread: Gordon?

Default Gordon?

Any you FL boys getting any rain?

Alan

Yep. Nothing directly from the storm but really interesting rains off and on that are influenced by the storm. Kind of cool, except for the out working in it part. Rip currents are really up. Seems like most people are being careful in the surf.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I watch the storms on NOAA. This one is supposed to remain TS until landfall East of New Orleans and then intensify to a Cat1. Odd. It would be nice to have a gentle little TS come through, drop a couple of inches of rain and then move on. We don't need a repeat of last year. I read through all those post last night form Harvey and Irma. We don't need any more of that nonsense.

Alan

Thunder boomers now and then yesterday here in central FL. We are fortunately high where we are. A few blocks over any rain it starts to flood. We're also a long way away from the coasts so tidal surge isn't an issue. We worry about the wind knocking the big trees down. We've had 2 big oaks and a huge long leaf pine hit us right on the house. Damaged some shingles. Our house was built in the 40's. You have to pre-drill holes to get a nail in a stud. If any one of those trees had hit a newer home it would have crushed it. I took the hint and built our cabin in NC to survive major wind damage.

As far as prep, if you've lived through one hurricane season and don't prep for the rest of them... you're in deep denial.

That's something I don't really miss. I enjoyed hurricanes - what I didn't enjoy was the week without power or air conditioning.

It's one of the problems with having friends all over the globe. I don't have to worry about hurricanes, but now I have to worry about my friends in the paths of hurricanes. I worry a lot more about them than I worried about myself.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Thunder boomers now and then yesterday here in central FL. We are fortunately high where we are. A few blocks over any rain it starts to flood. We're also a long way away from the coasts so tidal surge isn't an issue. We worry about the wind knocking the big trees down. We've had 2 big oaks and a huge long leaf pine hit us right on the house. Damaged some shingles. Our house was built in the 40's. You have to pre-drill holes to get a nail in a stud. If any one of those trees had hit a newer home it would have crushed it. I took the hint and built our cabin in NC to survive major wind damage.

As far as prep, if you've lived through one hurricane season and don't prep for the rest of them... you're in deep denial.
    Sounds like you have a house made with Heart Pine. The South Florida variation is Dade County Pine a variety of Slash Pine. Good luck driving a nail in that! LOL

We had some heavy rain. But, nothing much to talk about other than my thunder hating Gator dog barking his fool head off. And the chicken were in there coop and when the storm mostly passed came up and tried to get in the doggy door and my Delaware stood at the screen porch door giving me holy hell. When I opened the door they tried to come in. So, I think they want to stay in the house or at least the porch. LOL

They give me hell for everything though. If there feeder gets clogged and I have to unclog it. They get up on the roof of the coop and give me hell. It's funny stuff though.

All my guys worked a full day no worries today. I had one crew that drove to Orlando today. But, they got such a late start that they didn't even get there till almost 6PM. So, a little Sunday and Monday weather was all we got. I have camped in much worse.

My FIL and BIL in New Orleans didn't get but a few clouds and a slight breeze yesterday. Doesn't look like much more than that on the radar this morning.

Alan