Thread: Two Right Feet?

Default Two Right Feet?

I've heard of having two left feet but seriously.....sometimes you just have to laugh. I wonder if even Darwin scratched his head at times.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/31/64378...-foot-sneakers

Words fail me.

He's probably a drug dealer.

He'll lace them with something and be tripping all day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Double pun. Nice.

I guess when you're four or five hundred feet under water you have all kinds of time to think these things up. Either that or just go bonkers. I'm pretty certain I'd be in the latter category. I've never been anywhere near that deep and I'm on the fringe. Oooh. Butterflies.

Maybe he had a friend who only needed one shoe?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Maybe he was a pirate. We'll see if he hits the glove store next.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There's my morning chuckle. Thanks.

Dang, Crash is on a roll!

Ahahahaha, I almost spit the coffee on the screen. Thanks!
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

A bit off topic but I read that during the Civil War, shoes were made without designation as to "right" or "left." They were called "Brogans" and either shoe could be worn on either foot. Didn't require anything other than putting them on, whichever came in hand first.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Shoes were not made with right or left designation until after the Civil War. You "broke them in" by wearing them until it was obvious which had been on which foot longest. It could be painful.

The term brogan was a modification of the Celtic term "brogues" which the Scotts used for any shoe.

The specific type of boot used in the Civil War was called the Jefferson Boot because Thomas Jefferson wore a pair at his inauguration as president. He had been ambassador to France during the French Revolution when anyone wearing buckle shoes that were the previous style were subject to "losing their heads". The ankle high laced shoes of the peasants became the standard footwear in France and Jefferson brought them home.

Oddly the brogan type shoe became one of the first items to be mass produced by machinery in the U.S. They were made by the thousands as cheap footwear for the slaves on the plantations. Since the factories were already set up to mass produce this shoe cheaply the Army made provisions for emergency purchase of every brogan that could be produced as issue to soldiers.

The Battle of Gettysburg started over the attempt by Confederate troops to capture a rail shipment of those boots intended for the Federal Army.

I will stop now, I could go on, it is raining and I am bored.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The borgan didn't get issues to the military until the 1820's, Jefferson Davis was president from 1801 to 1809, and that would be the ones that had no left or right. in the 1850's Jefferson Davis (who was the secretary of war at the time) had them redesigned to be a left and a right. Brogans were issues all the way up to WWII although they had a few changes made to them over the years. Like adding hobnails to them during WWI (trench boot).

Sorry just like my history