Thread: Another Woman Killed by Dinosaur Trying to Save Dog

Default Another Woman Killed by Dinosaur Trying to Save Dog

This time in South Carolina. I will never be walking a dog near a body of water filled with dinosaurs. That seems to be analogous to spreading bbq sauce on yourself and crawling into a pen of Velociraptors. However, in the very unlikely event that I would, if Fido made a beeline to the water's edge my parting words would be Rest In Peace, Fido. I will not be going to the water to save the little munchkin. No heroics on my part. I am not going out early at the price of a dog if I can help it. I'm sure the lady didn't plan it to end that way but come on. You gotta know those things ain't playing tag.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alligator...185032416.html

They're just big lizards.

Definitely not a good idea!

Big lizards with BIG teeth. I'll bet Exticto Man said the same thing about T. Rex.

An Alligator's brain (even a big alligator) is about the size of a walnut. They only do two things and one of those only once a year. The other one they do all the time. Bite, eat. They have no conscience, They'd just as soon eat a nice lady as her dog (case in point). A 12' alligator is capable of killing and eating most things in North America. The can move at an incredible speed. Faster than you (and certainly me) can run.

Alan

Another Woman Killed by Dinosaur Trying to Save Dog
    So....The dinosaur that was trying to save a dog killed a woman?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Heck - I thought you meant a chicken killed a lady. Now I'm disappointed.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit
    So....The dinosaur that was trying to save a dog killed a woman?

Just one more reason I will never win a Pulitzer...or the Publisher Clearinghouse Sweepstakes for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    An Alligator's brain (even a big alligator) is about the size of a walnut. They only do two things and one of those only once a year. The other one they do all the time. Bite, eat. They have no conscience, They'd just as soon eat a nice lady as her dog (case in point). A 12' alligator is capable of killing and eating most things in North America. The can move at an incredible speed. Faster than you (and certainly me) can run.

Alan
    What is this thing called run of which you speak?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What is this thing called run of which you speak?
    I have vague memories of running. In fact just this evening my 3 yr old granddaughter was walking with me and she said, "Come on Papa! Let's run!" I ran for a good three or four steps and thought better of it. She wasn't disappointed though and showed genuine concern as I clutched my right knee. She asked, "Papa, do you have a Bobo?" I said, "Yes Sweetie, Papa's whole body is a Bobo waiting to happen." She let me walk the rest of the way.

Alan

I love running. It's one of my favorite exercises. Women run past the house all day long. I sit on the porch and watch them jog past. Yep, one of my favorite exercises. I will say, however, there should be a weight limit imposed on spandex. Somebody is going to get maimed if that stuff ever gives way. Walmart is a spandex zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I love running. It's one of my favorite exercises. Women run past the house all day long. I sit on the porch and watch them jog past. Yep, one of my favorite exercises. I will say, however, there should be a weight limit imposed on spandex. Somebody is going to get maimed if that stuff ever gives way. Walmart is a spandex zoo.
    OK.....I have a running ladies story. Years ago, I was doing a job (site work) at a park/rec area in Va. beach, Va. (A very NAVY town.) Well, it appeared that a lot of officers wives like to run there in the mornings. There were always good looking very toned women running by, in the mornings.
    One morning, this woman that had to weigh about 300 pounds, dripping sweat, everything bouncing and flopping, went trudging by, like she was trying to run. (With a look on her face like she was about to die.) One of the guys working for me, looked up and said "Hot dang!! Look at her !!!" I asked him if the heat had gotten to him. With all those beautiful hard bodies running around there, and he was excited about her. When I asked why, he said "Shoot......I stand a chance at catching her."
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I, too, had a guy I worked with that fancied the larger ladies. I once asked why he favored them so much. He unabashedly said because they all have scripts for diet pills. Those a few beers are a cheap high. I guess you never know.

Alligators are more closely related to birds than lizards. Crocodilians and birds are of the clade Archosauria. Lizards and snakes are of the clade lepidosaurs.

Like birds, these reptiles are known to use tools as lures for prey. They are also known to engage in locomotor play, play with objects and social play. https://phys.org/news/2015-02-crocodiles-wanna-fun.html

Alligator attacks are rare. Look at all of the people who go into water where there are obviously alligators and how few attacks there are and then how fewer still are the fatal attacks.

I have had quite a bit of time with alligators. When I was small enough to be swallowed whole I stepped on a 12' gator and it just took off. My brother and a friend had just swam over and just in front of the same gator. Another time I was swimming a piece of plywood over to build a tree fort on an island and a large gator was coming straight at me in the middle of a wide canal. I tried to stand on the plywood and it just sank down under my weight. The gator just swam around me.

You have Sneaky Pete the alligator that the kids out at Mack's fish camp would do cannon balls on. He would protect the kids from other alligators.

Lots of gators come when called and react to the same stimulus as other pets.

As an adult I have been in the water with many large gators. We duck hunt where we gator hunt. We gator hunt there because there are lots of huge gators in the water. When your gator hunting at night and you have to go in the water to free up the gator you have on the line because he gets under a under cut in the bank. Other gators will swim towards you. You can see them with your head lamp coming in from all directions. Then they stop at a distance and watch what is going on. The longer hunting season goes on. The further the gators will stay back from you.

Aye. Most gators won't harm a human.....unless that human happens to be in one of their nests. They're sorta like the bears of the water. Other crocodilians, though.....

Also, you're right on your taxonomy, but there's some disagreement. Some biologists want to group the birds with the reptiles. In the past, the difference has been that the birds are warm blooded but, low and behold, some reptiles (such as the leatherback turtle) are also warm blooded. They haven't quite figured out if they thermoregulate like we do or if they just move around to stay warm, but their body temperature can be 10 or 15 degrees C above the water temperature.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I have been charged by a mother gator. Lots of hissing and and posturing. It got my dad and son to leave. I just kept my bike between her and I an she just walked off the trail, made a u-turn and then came back to look at me and hiss some more. This happened in Shark Valley and tourist encounters are extremely common there. You can walk right next to a basking nine footer. I have seen twelve footer do the high walk right through a crowd of tourists. A google image search for Shark Valley will show the casualness of people around alligators who are used to people. One time a kid was riding his bike with his parents and he wrecked into the canal and his head landed in a gators mouth. Even then the gator didn't kill him.

The female gators and crocs are warded off with sticks when counting eggs in nests. It doesn't take much usually. Though I have heard stories of them coming right into the research boat. A sharp tap on the snout will usually do it.

You don't worry about humans. But, in Florida in 2014, there were 1,139 homicides & 4,706 hospitalizations for non-fatal assault-related injuries. Yet not a single gator related death and only a single gator bite where a boy was bitten on the butt.

I have posted here about 9' gators coming up a few feet from me to get a duck I winged. Both of us deciding the other can have it and the duck making its get away. LOL

All I know is if any of those gators, birds or reptiles, travel 1200 miles to get me, I'm moving north. Case closed.

My boss lived outside of Tampa for several years and they had a lake in his community. I watched these kids swim in that lake with these alligators out there and just shuddered. My kids would have been locked in the closet.

LOL. Tourists' nonchalant attitudes toward their surrounding don't impress me much. One of the very clear memories of my childhood is a photo of parents putting their kid on a bears back in the Smokies for a picture. Then there are all the hilarious videos of tourist encounters with wildlife. (I'm afraid I'm more than a little given to schadenfreude.)