Thread: Peddle power small battery charger from ebike hub

Default Peddle power small battery charger from ebike hub

Hi all, picked up an ebike electric bike hub second hand at a swap meet. Wanted it for experiments on making a peddle power small lead acid battery charger. Used a six pack of 10SQ045 schottky 10 amp diodes to convert the 3 phase AC to DC. That's all it took to make the battery charger. The voltage regulation is done by watching a small volt meter and keeping a steady Cadence. A old car headlight was used as a dummy load. From the experiments I have done about 4.5 amps output at 14.5 volts DC is a good hard workout that a fit person can do for 25 minuets or so. The diodes handle it no problem - just slightly warm to the touch. I have gone up to about 6 amps, the diodes are fine but I start to overheat. When using it to charge a battery I found it takes a hard effort at first for 5 minutes or so then the charge starts to taper. It is very quite and works well.

IMGP0082resize.jpg

IMGP0083resize.jpg

IMGP0084resize.jpg

Charges the battery used in this lantern radio in about 25 minuets.

IMGP0040.jpg

Cool project. I liked.....I have gone up to about 6 amps, the diodes are fine but I start to overheat.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think we tend to overlook just how much energy just one residential outlet has. For example 15 amps at 117 volts works out to 1755 watts. Me on the other-hand sweating my but off is having trouble making 6 amps at 14 volts. That works out to 84 watts.

IMGP0091resized.jpg

Dang, that's 21 times more power then I can make. So it's clear a human powered generator is very limited. Running a TV or microwave is not going to happen; however, a small radio and LED light works well.

The point is, you will be able to charge a cell phone or, as you say, a radio to be able to stay in communication if things went bad. It's a great project. Cudos! The used hand powered cranks and car batteries for the radios in WWII and kept the island spotters in communication.

oh oh. I could do a treadmill hook up and train Max to run it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Maybe not.

No. No, you couldn't. Max is about as far past his running days as we are. My guess is if he could train you to bark when the doorbell rings, he would.

Max might run on a treadmill if you put a monkey at the other end............beyond that..........he ain't running.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel