Thread: I don't have a magnum rifle

Default I don't have a magnum rifle

I just realized other than a 22 magnum rifle, I don't have a magnum rifle. Other than some rifles that shoot big chunks of lead my big bore rifle is a 30-06.
    I'm not sure what to think, it's not about "needs".
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You are going to have to remedy that situation soon. This is very serious. You could be suffering from MDS (Magnum Deprivation Syndrome). The only known cure, and it is a sure fire cure, is massive recoil, blinding muzzle blast and a case of tinnitus that you can hear in your sleep.

However the cure often has the side effect of MIBD (Magnum Induced Brain Damage).

I have one bona fide magnum rifle, a 308 Norma Magnum. I shoot 180 gr Sierra BT Game Kings over 73 gr H4831SC. I dislike recoil pads so I get the full effect of all the best Norma has to offer. The rifle shoots extremely good and as long as I don't shoot it more than about five times a year I can shoot it well also. More than that and I start developing a flinch.

I understand that there are even more Magnuminous rounds out there that can easily bruise the shoulders of people watching you shoot them. I will leave them alone as I have taken the cure.

So what did I do? I got another 45-70. Evidently, there is not cure.

Alan

I'm getting the itch, I'm thinking a 375 h&h might be in my future.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

That's the Spirit! Getting that bad boy will be the easy part. Keeping it fed will be the thing. About $3 a pop average.

Alan

Back when I was building rifles on Mauser 98 actions, I looked at building a 375 Dakota. It was supposed to have the same ballistics as the 375 H&H Mag but would fit and operate in a standard length Mauser action. The cases were made form 416 Rigby brass if I recall correctly. I never did build it.

Alan

I say try a 458 Winchester mag. or 460 Weatherby mag. give it a try without a recoil pad and you first 5 rounds shot with no hearing protection...….. just kidding don't do any of that stuff you will hurt yourself, Magnums are fun though.

I may settle for a 35 whelen, don't really "need" a magnum

The only rifles I have in magnum are lever action pistol rounds Henry's (357 and 44).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a marlin in .357 mag

Don't worry, that 35 Whelen can do the same thing as a magnum. I shoot 250 gr Hornady RN in mine and it's not one I use for casual plinking.

Alan

Several times a week I carry a bolt action stainless steel Sako .375 H&H Magnum Kodiak rifle in the woods cambered with 5 rounds of 300-grain bullets. I also bring along several 4-round magazines.

Each round costs about $1.75, which is relatively expensive but not overkill compared to its ability.

I am a 5'7" 218 pound weightlifter at 5-ft 7-inches and the rifle kicks like a 12-gauge shotgun. Doesn't bother me a bit, I can shoot the rifle a dozen times with no problem.

In Africa the rifle is used to take elephant, rhino, hippo and all else. Here in the Great North woods it can easily take down black bear and moose (moose can be aggressive especially during rutting season). In areas that have them brown bears and polar bears if need be.

Take a look at the Sako rifles. They are well known and well made.
    Last edited by MtMoriah; 08-20-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Seize the Day

If I can't kill it with my 45-70, then it'll probly require wooden stakes and some holy water.
    400grain lead solids. I can kill anything on the North American continent.

If that don't get it, then I reach for the double-58.
    520 grain lead minnies atop 120g of pyrodex.
    Pow, zoom, to the moon, baby!

The magnum nomenclature is really just an advertising term that came about in the years following the introduction of smokeless powder.
    Need something fun to read? Find a whole world of books at
    RottenApplePublishing

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    You are going to have to remedy that situation soon. This is very serious. You could be suffering from MDS (Magnum Deprivation Syndrome). The only known cure, and it is a sure fire cure, is massive recoil, blinding muzzle blast and a case of tinnitus that you can hear in your sleep.

However the cure often has the side effect of MIBD (Magnum Induced Brain Damage).

I have one bona fide magnum rifle, a 308 Norma Magnum. I shoot 180 gr Sierra BT Game Kings over 73 gr H4831SC. I dislike recoil pads so I get the full effect of all the best Norma has to offer. The rifle shoots extremely good and as long as I don't shoot it more than about five times a year I can shoot it well also. More than that and I start developing a flinch.

I understand that there are even more Magnuminous rounds out there that can easily bruise the shoulders of people watching you shoot them. I will leave them alone as I have taken the cure.

So what did I do? I got another 45-70. Evidently, there is not cure.

Alan
    You could do what Harry Calahan did. Use a magnum, but shoot specials.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I love my magnum pistols, rifles not so much.

I had a Winchester African model in .458 magnum I got in trade back in the early '70s. I sold it to pay for my 3rd or 4th year of college. It was a good trade. I never did shoot any 458 mags out if it, instead reloading the huge cases with a stiff dose of Unique and a 230 grain cast bullet that was normally used in my .45 acp.

I spent a good bit of last winter down loading a friend's .300 Win-mag. I made it a hot 30-06 and he can now shoot it reasonably. One thing about those big magnum cases is that they take 1/3 more powder to reach reduced load speeds. That .300 WM took 10 grains more powder to hit 30-06 velocities than a 30-06!

As for me, well there is not much in Kentucky that requires a magnum, unless you are in west KY and shooting over a bean field where a small bore magnum might give you one inch of flatter trajectory at 300 yards than a standard round.

Other than that there is not much in KY that can not be killed with a .357 in rifle or pistol, though we do have some elk up in the eastern parts. Someone has probably killed one of those with a .357 but I have not heard about it. I know one was killed being hit by an old Datsun "hardbody" truck so a sub caliber vehicle will work fine.

Lots of deer here are taken with .223/.243, and more probably with "normal .30s" (30-30/.308/30-06) than anything else.

I do not have a magnum, and do not feel the void.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have a Taurus 454 Casul revolver. I hate it. Everybody at the range hates it. Bought it for grizzly protection in Alaska. Trips' over long ago.

..but I really want a big bang rifle. For no reason what so ever. Florida is kinda flat and bushy.

My shoulder hurts just reading this thread. You guys can have all those testosterone infused arm cannons. I will never be hunting elephants or rhino and if I encounter a moose during the rut I will have much bigger problems to worry about. A love crazed moose eyeing me is not going to end well for anyone.

maybe I could get technical with a rifle that is labeled 50 express, perhaps that is considered a magnum. It's not about needs, My needs were handled since I was 14 year old.

45-70 compared to a 50-110
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    You could do what Harry Calahan did. Use a magnum, but shoot specials.
    I had a Ruger Vaquero 44 mag. It was unpleasant to shoot. I gave it to a nephew who is young and can take the abuse.

I still have a Mod 29. It mostly hangs out in the safe, just in case somebody needs to make my day.

Alan

With my full-house loads in 45-70, I can only fire about a dozen rounds and I'm done for the day.
    And I'm not particularly recoil sensitive.
    That rifle is death at one end, and hospitalization at the other.
    RottenApplePublishing

If I was of a mind to get a really powerful rifle, I'd save my pennies and buy an express rifle.
    I don't know what I'd shoot with it, but I'd love to have a Purdy or Holland double in 400 nitro express.
    RottenApplePublishing