Thread: Waiting for the Brown Truck

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Waiting for the Brown Truck

Title about says it all.

This one has been an epic journey. Half way around the world to get here and back and forth across the country 3 times.

First try came in wrong caliber. More on that latter.

Second try arrives today.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Its been 11 hours. Did they noshow? The suspense is at a fever pitch. It must be good cause KRS is so busy playing with it that he forgot to give us an update.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I haven't even gone to the bathroom for fear I'd miss the update! This is a cliff hanger!

Update for all those with constipation and high blood pressure;

The Brown Truck arrived soon after I made the post. It left me a very nice Weihrauch HW30 air rifle in .177 caliber. Since this order was delayed by the turn around they also added 2 tins of RWS pellets for me to add to the plunder box.

https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/sprin...barrel?lang=en

One nice thing about the .177 is that you can get a tin of 500 pellets for a penny a shot, and they will be pretty good quality pellets.

Anyway, I looked down the bore to insure there was nothing in there and stepped out on the back porch to try the rifle out.

That was pretty much the end of any work or other activities from about 10am on yesterday.

I had ordered the rifle a month ago and the person that puled the order sent a .22 instead of a .177. I had ordered this rifle as an indoor target rifle. It is not a blazing fast hunting rifle, it simply sends its pellets down range at 650fps with extreme accuracy and offers several precision features in a nice looking package. I did not want the .22, which lobbed pellets at 450fps, I wanted the slightly faster .177 for the flat trajectory and cheap price of the ammo. This rifle will be shot a LOT!

I called the company and they gave me a return shipment form. I told them that I had not shot the rifle and they could honestly sell it as new un-fired and they said they would have to sell it as an open box gun at a used gun discount anyway. BAAAAD mistake!

Since the shipment arrived on Friday and I could not return the package until Monday I spent the weekend shooting the crap out of that little .22.

These are different airguns from the Walmart fare all around us. German technology giving a lock up of the barrel like a bank vault. The wood is beech, stained to walnut, with crisp cut checkering and very nice lines. Only thing that gives me a problem is the presence of a thick rubber butt pad. This is a springer air gun, it recoils forward!

Cocking is as smooth as butter with no grinding of the spring on internal parts. The trigger is a match grade unit that feels like you are breaking a glass rod with two stages that offer soft take-up and then a crisp final break. And they are accurate.

The open sights are fully adjustable with 1" clicks for windage and elevation. The adjustments are very precise and repeatable. The front sight is a hooded aperture with a half dozen interchangeable front sight selections so you can set up the system as you wish. Two of the disks for the front sight are offered with the expectation that one will use an optional peep sight, which would be a good accessory and I may try that latter, when I get bored with the scope sighted accuracy.

At 20 yards, with open sights, that little rifle was shooting 1" groups, which is excellent performance for my open sight abilities and 68 year old eyes. Someone is going to get a real bargain on a well broken in .22 HW30 that shoots like a champ! I was actually sad to box up the .22 and send it back, but I did.

Two weeks latter and I was unboxing the .177.

I mounted a scope on the .177 as soon as it came out of the box. I had not mounted a scope on the .22 since I did not want to chance marking the scope grooves on the receiver.

My first three shots at 20 yards were touching each other. I moved to 11 yards which is where I will be shooting most of the time, and the pellets simply stacked on top of each other creating a single hole that just got a little wider as I shot.

As I said, I bought this as an indoor target rifle for shooting at the standard 10m/11yard/33feet used as the Olympic standard. I live in an are of extremes in weather, too hot, too cold, too wet for much of the year and even with the overhead cover at the gun club I am still subjected to wind and temperatures at the outdoor range. For the past two weeks even my back porch has been topping 100 degrees each day, and I could not shoot due to sweat running into my eyes.

I just love to shoot, and this rifle allows me to shoot any time, no matter what the weather conditions outside.

I also love to shoot accurate firearms. Inaccurate and erratic firearms irritate me to distraction. I can cope with a rifle that is not perfect, or one that gives consistent 6" groups at 100 yards, as long as it is consistent and usable. My gripe is with the rifle that places 4 shots into an inch and throws one round a foot away, and never in the same direction!

That was the performance I was getting from the bargain store air rifles, so I spent a little more and got this Weihrauch entry level rifle.

Now we will see how many tins of pellets it takes to wear out a German air rifle spring.

I kinda figured it was something air powered. With that kind of out of the box accuracy whats left to tinker with?

This one ain't for tinkering, its for shooting.

Keeping me in shooting trim through much practice.

Now I can forget about trying to make that other springer work right. It was driving me crazy, so it will go back to the corner rack of the gun room and be forgotten once more.

Krat, as much as you shoot your trigger finger must be the size of a babies arm.

Nope!

I shave those triggers down to just a couple of pounds and get them real crisp. That is what all the "tinkering" is about.

Hardly any effort there at all.

Came across this, and thought of some of you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMHdcRNEkc
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward