Thread: Back in the Land of TV and AC

Default Back in the Land of TV and AC

After 6 weeks of sleeping bags, open fire cooking, no indoor (or any for that matter) plumbing I have to admit... AC, cotton sheets, nice fat mattress, hot shower, and a toilet are kinda nice. Guess we're getting old (Or smart. Take your pick).

We will miss the birds. Waking us up in the morning. Building nests under the front porch roof. Hummingbird fights. Things that go bump in the night, and rain at night on the tin roof. Epic Biblical lightning and thunderstorm deluges at night. My own shooting range.

Won't miss rodents, carpenter bees, bears in camp, and a sketchy road up to the cabin. Liberals giving me the stinkeye for my NRA hat and occasionally trying to start something in town.

It'll be 3 months before any camping is reasonable here in FL. That's ok. Amazon shopping for gear I think I need but really don't, is at my finger tips.
    Last edited by madmax; 07-15-2018 at 10:10 AM.

"After 6 weeks of sleeping bags, open fire cooking, no indoor (or any for that matter) plumbing I have to admit... "

I cannot tell you how wonderful that sounds. I like AC and plumbing as much as the next guy, but 6 weeks of seclusion sounds fantastic.

Alan

Glad you and K had a good time. Welcome back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What's wrong with six weeks of seclusion with air and plumbing?

Nothing. But the people who would want to find me would look there first.

Alan

We woke up, crawled out of our bags, put on long sleeves (the first part, long pants too), rekindled the fire, and sat there like old farts listening to the forest wake up. There's coffee too. You need pretty good directions to find us...and 4WD. Which allows me to sit on the porch in my underwear and shoot at leaves in peace.

OK - I pictured a beautiful, serene setting until that last sentence. Now I think I'm scarred.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, man! That could cause the world to tilt!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have pictures.

...and I wear boxers.
    Last edited by madmax; 07-17-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Loving this threadGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by pandes; 07-26-2018 at 10:08 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by pandes View Post
    Loving this threadGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That is because you have never met Max, so you can not have the image of him in boxers sitting on the porch burned into your mind.

It could actually cause the Earth to tilt!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat, I love your signature. Years ago, I picked up a piece of commercial jerky off the counter in the kitchen, opened it and was eating it when my wife asked me what I was doing. I told her I was eating jerky. She asked me if it was good. I told it was actually quite good. She told me it was a dog treat. By then I had more than half of it eaten, it was good so I figured what they hey and finished it. So, yeah, if you didn't bring jerky, what did I just eat? I don't thing the dog ever forgave me for that.

(Shrug.)

Our dog shares his treats with us. Some are pretty good. Of course, we reciprocate.

I moved from a place where I had to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes, to a place where we only have occasional hail, and that not usually too bad. The last storm knocked out our AC. It was off for about 3 days during brutally hot summer weather. We have a good landlord. I was reminded that I like AC.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.