Thread: Air Quality,,, huge heads up....

Default Air Quality,,, huge heads up....

Some of us may be familiar with the brackish clouds of brown and orange around a city we visited in the past. Others may not not be familiar. As I am in pest control I know what O3 smells like. We use a machine to knock off the smell of a dead animal in a house or to remove the smell of urine from rat infested buildings. Once you smell it - you move to safe air as far away as possible... Last week my granddaughter came into the office and I was stunned by the smell of O3 coming from her hair, as we had just purchased a new machine - and it was unplugged I could not wrap my head around her exposure. We asked about where she had been. She had just come in from outside. From the time I could remember what it was like to be behind a car that had lead gasoline to today this was a big surprise, as there are now large clouds of Ozone close to the ground and clearly you do not want to inhale this caustic stuff.

If your home is well sealed ... there will not be a quality air alert for this, look at the map and see a sunny day with ozone in orange or yellow step outside and you can smell it.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=pubs.aqiguideozone
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I receive alerts by text when we have Ozone Action Days. Another good reason to stay inside in the air conditioning. Good post and good heads up info.

Whatever y'all are smoking up there, you need to stop.

I've managed to remain ignorant of this whole thing you're talking about.

Ozone Action Days? Sounds like an excuse to have a BBQ cookoff!

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You've never been to Houston?

You guys do have the #4 largest city in the nation down there in the southernmost regions.

My wife used to talk about growing up in the smog there when her Dad was working for NASA.

I bet those refineries along the coast are a bed of roses too!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-07-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sure I've been to Houston, lived there for a while, but I don't recall having "Ozone Action Days" when we had to lock ourselves in the house for fear of breathing the air. San Antonio is getting a bit Smoggy lately too. We just call it "smog". Didn't know it was "Ozone!(?)" Thought ozone was created by lightening or by science teachers running an electric current through a glass jar.

The weeks when the Mountain Cedar (juniper) is blooming tears people up more than the smog down here.

Alan

Air quality here is fine, albeit a bit humid. Some speculate that it is due to the sea breeze off the Atlantic, others postulate that it is the sea breeze off the gulf, yet still others believe it is because Georgia sucks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My theory is that the city is hotter than the surrounding countryside so there is a thermal uplift bringing fresh air to us from further out and sending all our exhaust into the city. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. (cough).

I lived in Los Angeles for 36 years. I don't trust any air that I don't have to strain through my teeth.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I remember riding my motorcycle from San Diego to Santa Barbara in the mid 70's. The thick cloud of smog over Los Angeles was suffocating.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess we have enough wind in most places down here to keep the smog distributed evenly.

Alan

Some of us make our own wind. Hey, it helps.

Yeah but, some of make our own smog too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel