Thread: Linear moving target machine

Tool & Die Maker

Default Linear moving target machine

The weekend was blistering hot so we remained home where I could work in the air conditioned shop. Decided to build a different kind of moving target machine where a DC motor drags a plastic jug across the ground and around corners. I did a test run in my back yard to see how it will work. I'll take it to the stone quarry for live firing soon. Eventually i'll make another spool so I can rewind the cord through to obstacle course. This thing is going to be fun.

https://youtu.be/Y5nOgp75wDI
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-01-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Okay, things just got way complicated. I love it.

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks, just finished a take up spool for rewinding the cord. Thinking about a continuous run setup but not sure how to drive the cord without slippage. I'm going to run what I have, see what comes up. Probably really grind through the ammunition with this target set up, hopefully learn to shoot wild hogs on the run. I made this thing with components and materials already on hand. It is top quality because all moving parts are mounted on ball bearings. I spent $28 at Menards for the cord and round receptacle covers to cap off the PVC pipe. I'll post more pictures soon.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You could use a spring loaded tension pulley right at the power wheel to gain some traction on the rope.

It might be easier to make a small scale version you could shove into the truck bed and unload on site. Several old bicycle chains and a scrap metal track with targets attached to the chain could run continuously as long as you could accept movement in a straight line or over dips and humps.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Video taken at the stone quarry

https://youtu.be/GXouIAyA6oo

This one is the AR-15 9mm

https://youtu.be/JN93zN-bbag
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-02-2018 at 11:28 PM.

If you put a little electric motor (like a sewing machine motor with a foot control for speed and on/off) on a big Penn fishing reel and put that reel on a surf rod and tied your clorox bottle on the line, then stretched the line out for however many hundred yards you want to shoot at it it would probably do a fair job of mimicking a running, leaping whatever. The reel is gear up to retrieve faster than a 1:1 ratio and that sewing machine motor would spin pretty fast. If the jug catches on something the rod will bend till it comes loose and flies through the air (all sorts of shooting practice). Those big reels will hold lots of line and you can zig zag it around out in front of you and shoot till you're tired of doing it. If it hangs up bad, you just let off the foot feed and go get it or shoot at it till it comes loose.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

A few details, notice the bullet hole already in the PVC pipe:

Linear target details.jpg

R-8 double seal bearing.jpg
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-03-2018 at 09:09 AM.

When you walk in that machine shop you do get serious. My stuff looks just like that only gobbled together from parts that I've found or had left over from something I tried to put back together. Well, maybe not JUST like that. You know what I mean.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    If you put a little electric motor (like a sewing machine motor with a foot control for speed and on/off) on a big Penn fishing reel and put that reel on a surf rod and tied your clorox bottle on the line, then stretched the line out for however many hundred yards you want to shoot at it it would probably do a fair job of mimicking a running, leaping whatever. The reel is gear up to retrieve faster than a 1:1 ratio and that sewing machine motor would spin pretty fast. If the jug catches on something the rod will bend till it comes loose and flies through the air (all sorts of shooting practice). Those big reels will hold lots of line and you can zig zag it around out in front of you and shoot till you're tired of doing it. If it hangs up bad, you just let off the foot feed and go get it or shoot at it till it comes loose.

Alan
    You could also use a cordless drill!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    When you walk in that machine shop you do get serious. My stuff looks just like that only gobbled together from parts that I've found or had left over from something I tried to put back together. Well, maybe not JUST like that. You know what I mean.
    When you have the machines, the tools, and the know how, it is easy to the point of being fun and it doesn't take that long either. My machine shop is the gift that keeps on giving. It is heated, cooled and dehumidified. Once in a while I even manage to make a little
    money

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You could also use a cordless drill!
    Yep, I rigged up a variable speed drill with a pulley on my hand crank meat grinder in the 70s. I pushed a lever with my knee to make it go. Left both hands free for grinding and stuffing.

I have a little sewing machine motor that I use to clean primer pockets and case necks. Works off of the variable speed foot feed.

Alan