Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m1 carbine story

Default m1 carbine story

Many years ago my wife's uncle was looking for a standard m1 carbine stock. He had a wire stock m1 that he had picked up from his brother's LEO partner. They had both picked up a couple m1s for use during the Detroit riots. I don't think they ever used them. Anyhoo uncle came to me looking for a stock, somehow I always get tagged as a "gun guy". He told me about the wire stock and I was thinking a paratrooper stock. We came upon a plan, I would trade the stock from my m1 for his stock. I told him I would probably have to fit it up. He decided to just trade guns. All I had at the time was a plainfield or a universal. I told him that his m1 may be worth more than mine, he didn't care. So we traded straight up. I ended up with a inland and it wasn't a paratrooper stock. I was good with it though. I may paint it flat black so it is more effective J/K. LOL

It's the bottom one. I showed a standard m1 for comparison sake. I also have a universal model.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Tool & Die Maker

Two guns I have always wanted, a German Lugar and an M1 Carbine. I compromised with a Marlin 989 M2 22LR carbine. I bought that rifle when I was 15 and still have it. Always wanted a Lugar type handgun called "Irma". It was much like a German Lugar but in 22LR. Instead of the Irma I was talked into the Rugar Mark III. I must have put thousands of rounds through those 2 guns.

Thought I was finally going to end up with an M1 Carbine when I got into wild hog hunting 3 years. I borrowed an M1 from my younger brother for hog hunting and killed one or two hogs with it. The shell extractor was broken for some reason so I used the M1 as a single shot. I thought it was perfect for hog hunting, small, light weight. I shopped around for an M1 figuring an WWII vintage rifle should be cheap to buy. Boy, did I get some sticker shock!! I found an M1 for $800 and another for $1100 but they were really rough and I couldn't see using a relic for wild hog hunting. That's how I got into AR-15s. Never owned anything larger than a 22 rifle. The first
    AR-15 was a .223, then someone here convinced me I needed a 300 Blackout for hog hunting so three months later I bought the blackout in a kit. Year later another 9MM AR-15 so now I have three and trying to not think about buying another but I'm wishing I had another rifle project of unknown caliber. Then I got into reloading, ya know, to save money.

My wife was pretty upset when she saw the first AR-15 in my machine shop and told me not to bring it into the house. Not sure she is aware of the other two ARs that reside in the shop.

We seem to insist on making our lives complicated with all these guns. I probably go shooting at least once a week.

Oh, man. Now I have drool on the keyboard.

Years ago, when I still went to Gun Shows, a fellow had an M1 Carbine that he had converted to 22 cal. He had replaced the barrel and had necked the carbine cases to .223. I pondered on it for some time and almost bought and the dies he had, just for the novelty factor of it. I don't remember any more specifics about it other than what is above.

I didn't buy it but I still think about it from time to time. It would have been a novelty for sure, but I'm not real sure what purpose it would serve as a hunting rifle. I'm sure there were other issues as well, since he was trying very hard to sell it.

Alan

I just looked, which I suppose I should have done prior to the above post, and it seems there were several variations on the theme, the leading one being the 22 Spitfire. Still not sure if it would have been a wise move aside form a novelty purchase (like I don't have enough of those).

Alan

Oh, you can kill anything with a .22. You know. It's all about...wait for it...shot placement.

I would not hesitate to go anywhere and hunt anything with a 22lr. As long as it wasn't lions, tigers, bears, efulumps, rinossyhosses, hippopotamooses, wolfs, Buffalows of any persuasion, king cobras, and probably a few other things.

Alan

I've seen a m1 carbine in 45 acp years ago. I end up with some of these things by accident. Really don't have a use for a m1 carbine. If I'm going to tote a rifle about it will be at least a 7.62 x 39.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have two. One I've never shot. Likely won't. The other is one my grandfather whittled on back on the 50s. He took off the sights and extraneous do-dads, left the stock stock (except for fashioning a walnut filler plug for the sling hole), and mounted a side-ish mount scope. I haven't shot it in years, but it was absolutely accurate. It was light and many a day as a teenager I would stay in the brush all day long with it. One of several rifles that I found to be easy to hold (for me). It's pretty much useless as a normal deer rifle (although quite effective in certain situations where you might not want a bunch of fuss being made), and is too much for cottontails. It's Hell on coyotes in an open pasture though.

It's primary use, killing human beings (or at least shooting them), has been eclipsed by the ARs and the AKs.

Alan

Now, an M1 Carbine in 45 ACP might be hard to resist. Just another one of many reasons I don't like to carry cash.

Alan

I would love to have a m1 in 45 acp but instead I settle for these.

Tool & Die Maker

They have AR-15s that are 45 ACP. I'm trying not to think about it to much. I do love the 9mm AR-15 though, cheap to shoot, acurate small and light weight, nice to have in a tree stand or walking through the jungle. Had it on a few wild hog hunts but have yet to fire a shot at a hog. The 9mm would probably be effective at the distances I'm shooting.

Randy, what are those rifles with the magazines, I find them attractive?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What I have always thought back on is the wonder of what might have been if the U.S. military had accepted the 1911 in the .38 Super.

The Thompson was available in .38 Super and did well.

What if the M1 Carbine had been done originally in .38 Super?

About the same velocity as the Carbine cartridge with way more power.

We might not even be saddled with the .223/5.56 at this point and the AR would have been presented as an open bolt, select fire carbine in .38 Super. If you blow the .223 out to a straight wall case that is about what you have.

After all, the AK is just an M1 carbine turned upside down, streamlined, and chambered for a 500 fps better cartridge.

Schmeiser knew what he was doing when he built that thing!

Folks bad mouthed the Carbine, but back during the War it was reported that the only American weapon the Germans would use as a battle pickup was the M1 Carbine. Half the German army was carrying them on the retreat after the Bulge, when they had been surrendered by the thousands. I have seen battle photos of German troops using Carbines in combat. I have never seen a picture of a German using an M1 Garand or a BAR.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

those are camp carbines. One is in 9mm and the other in 45 acp. The 45 takes 1911 magazines and the 9mm takes a S&W magazine.

I am just going to sit here and cry. You should open a museum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, Randy T has one of everything I could not afford when it came out!

The Camp Carbine was the best idea Marlin had after making the 336 and it never seemed to take off.

Only thing that comes close in this day and time is, sadly, the Hipoint carbine, and it looks like a movie prop from a Terminator film.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

randyt, I can't remember who made that collapsing wire stock but, I can remember seeing it advertised years ago in the back of gun magazines. I always thought they looked cool.

Here are some of my .30 Carbines. I don't seem to have a picture of my IBM .30 M1 but, here is a National Postal Meter, a Universal M1 and a Universal Enforcer pistol.

I like shooting my 9mm (not M1) Carbines more because the ammo is cheaper.

Al
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

those are awesome, the enforcer looks to be handy. I've been thinking about getting a ruger blackhawk in 30 carbine.

Tool & Die Maker

Every time I read this thread I end up going to Palmetto state armory looking for a AR-45. So far they are out of stock.

me too Jim, that's why I have lots of things to take pictures of.