Thread: Scope Pretzel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Scope Pretzel

I dropped a rifle/scope off the back porch this afternoon.

For me that is a 10 foot drop and the thing landed scope first onto the garden trailer. It fell off the shooting rack nose first.

Bent the objective bell down to the barrel ahead of the mount ring. Sort of funny looking like that and gives you one of those sinking feelings.

Fortunately it was just a cheap Beeman package scope that came with the air rifle.

The rifle, which is built like a tank, seems to be OK.

Between Jim Glass shooting up motors and me breaking things we have a real klutz club going on today.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Part and parcel for the F.A.R.T.s. Goes hand in hand with losing that one last item we need to put the whatever back together, the one spring that manages to spring across the room and that one last much need pill that rolls off the table and goes who knows where. I think there must be a mouse in the house with very low blood pressure that never needs to get up at night to pee and has a super healthy heart from all that low dose aspirin 'cause I have never found all those pills. Now you can sight around the corner.

Me: Where is the wheel that came off the mower deck?
    Son: Here on my workbench.
    Me: I take it so it won't get lost.
    Son:Ok.....

Me: Where is the wheel that came off the mower deck?
    Son: You took it so it wouldn't get lost.
    Me:............. oh .................

Alan

I am really in a pinch over this tumble off the porch.

I had just done some serious work on the Beeman rifle. I had shortened the spring by 2" and collapsed the last coil so it would look a professional job, polished the compression chamber, reworked the trigger and polished it. This is like starting with a new rifle and these springers sometimes take a hundred shots or more to smooth out their cycle and go into a constant compression/rebound stroke

I had about the third shot out of the rifle when it took the tumble as I was down at ground level checking the target.

Now I can not tell if the cheap Barska scope is shifting, the rifle is just still erratic and not shooting right, or perhaps there is the possibility, perish the thought, that I have screwed up the gun entirely.

It is giving a group of about 1" @ 11 yards for a half dozen shots, then it will throw them a foot low and to the right for two shots, then back to where the scope is pointing.

Since you can not dry fire these springer rifles I suppose I will just have to go through a half can of pellets and see if it settles down any.

It sure is hot for this kind of work. It hit 104f on that porch yesterday! I could not see the target for the sweat pouring into my eyes.

Well it sounds like you have a decent plan. Varmint shoot a half dozen shots. toss two shots just to scare them then back to serious shooting. Those two shots just give you time to have a drink.

Have you tried it with just iron sights to see how it's shooting?

Alan

From your description it sounds like a scope problem (or some issue with the scope, mounts, rings etc.) If it was some irregularity within the rifle mechanism causing inconsistency I would expect to see inconsistent or large groups, but to sling one or two off target a foot at 11 yards indicates to me that it is some movement between the sight plane and the bore. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Alan

No iron sights on this one so that is not an option.

I dropped a few drops of silicone air gun oil down the air transfer port and let it sit for a few minutes then cocked it an let is set for about 4 hours to compress the spring and even things out. Then I shot about 50-75 shots through it randomly.

It appeared to be more consistent so I shot a ten shot group with 4 different kinds of pellets since I got a new shipment of goodies in yesterday. .177 pellets are so cheap you can order two or three tins, get 2000 pellets and not spend but $20!

And yes, there are places that sell pellets on the internet cheaper than Walmart.

I finally got 10 Beeman domed hollow points to stay inside 1 1/2" so it is improving some. I will keep shooting and see if the groups reduce to what they should be. I am getting seriously small groups out of the PCP rifles, on the order of 1/4"@25, and this cheap springer can not keep up with that performance.

Perhaps a better spring gun is in order. Seems like a good excuse for buying another rifle to me!

Something I can shoot inside, with the AC going. I wonder if a tail wind caused by an AC would boost pellet performance?

In the Beeman that I have (dual caliber) I found that with the .177 barrel that the Gammo red tipped pellets perform the best.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am beginning to wonder if anything will ever shoot right in this rifle.

Originally it was jumping around and kicking like a wild mule. The spring was slamming forward so hard it stung your face every time you set off a shot. No possible way for it to shoot consistently, but it was giving some fantastic speeds up around 1050 fps with Crosman wad-cutter pellets.

I decided to sacrifice some of that speed to gain control of the rifle and cut two inches off the spring, put fresh grease in the thing, adjusted the trigger, and started over.

I have not run the new system over the chrony to see how much speed I lost, but I do not really care. If I want power I have the PCP rifles and they start out with 10 ft/lb more energy than the springer had at its best. I am after accuracy and quiet functioning for back yard shooting.

BTW, for anyone that owns one of the dual caliber Beeman rifles, they come with the trigger in a sad state and never explain in the instructions that the trigger is adjustable for both weight and creep. You can get to the weight adjustment through a hole in the trigger guard, but the creep adjustment, which is the most important with this rifle, is accessed only after you remove the action from the stock. There is a tiny screw in the front of the trigger that can be turned to increase or decrease trigger/sear engagement. You do not have to break down the rifle or remove the trigger system from the action.

While you have it out you can take a polishing stone to the T/S surfaces and it smooths out real well. Mine is at a crisp 2# at this time and has become very controlable.

If you have one that is already shooting well adjusting the trigger will make you think you paid twice as much for the gun as you did.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-01-2018 at 03:24 PM.