Thread: "Oh, and it makes me wonder"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default "Oh, and it makes me wonder"

Sometimes I do something sort of on impulse and it gets me to wondering if I have all my beans in the bag.

I bought an air rifle and have discovered it has more accuracy potential than the little 3-9 scope I put on it could bring out so I started looking for a volunteer scope with more power.

It just happens that I had a real nice 6-24x50 sitting on top of a 30-06 I had set up for shooting over bean fields, and since I have not seen a bean field for about 6 years I decided I could drop back to a 3-12 for that rifle and free up the big scope for the air gun.

It looks sort of strange sitting on top of that air rifle but buddy you can count the ants crawling on the target at 25 yards with that 24x glass and lets me put ten pellets into what looks like a Mammoth Cave sized hole that really is only real tiny when you look at the actual paper and not what it looks like magnified 24x.

Anyhow, while contemplating on the 30-06 swap I grabbed my back up rifle in that caliber to check it and realized I had robbed it of its glass at some point, so now I have two heavy kicking rifles to zero instead of just one.

While fussing at myself over that I realized I had never gotten one of my .308 rifles zeroed for the last batch of ammo I bought specifically for that rifle. If course I bought that back during the cold weather and just forgot about it.

Hopefully I can catch a day when it is not too awful hot and get down to the range and take care of that.

It's really pitiful when you are retired and the only job you have to do is keep all the rifles zeroed and you can't even do that properly!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

I share the frustration. I got a bunch of shop work a couple of weeks ago so I have worked the past 10 consecutive days with time off to catch a cat nap now and then. An old retired guy shouldn't have to do that. On the up side I haven't decided what I'm going to spend the money on.

I have been thinking about mounting my thermo imaging scope to my pellet rifle so I can post videos of my black bird shootings on the internet. When this shop work is finally done, I'll get my life back.

I think retired should be able to live to 200 or 300 at least. We have so much on the list to get done we are never going to get all finish with this short life span we have been given. It just seems so unfair.

Tool & Die Maker

My generator blew up Sunday so now I know where some of my shop money is going.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That's what happens when you use your generator to make pigs twirl!

Was that one of those Chinese 2 stroke generators?

If so how many running hours did you get out of it?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh crap. If it was Chinese he'll have to find an abacus then figure out how to use it. We may never know how many hours was on that thing. Then there's the whole problem of Chinese overtime. I drew my fair share of that in the early '70s. Someone find Jim a calculator that speaks English.

Tool & Die Maker

It was a Coleman 1000 watt generator with a Tecumseh, 2 hp, 2-stroke engine. It is fairly old but cleaned up well. I bought it for $50 because it didn't run that well. I spent tons of time on this thing cleaning the carburetor. The carb had two mixture adjustment screws, a high speed and low speed adjustment. I figured out the best way to adjust the carburetor was to plug in an two speed electric leaf blower. I had it running real good. It was handy for powering my electric weed eater. Rather than run an extension cord I just carried the generator around to trip the lawn. I plugged in my electric chain saw to it. It had the power to run the chain saw but not enough power to actually cut wood. It worked great on my moving target machine. It was light weight easy to carry around. I planed to take it to Florida to run flood lights for skinning hogs at night in the jungle. We hung the last 200lb hog on the ladder of my motorhome without my wife knowing what I was doing. The campground has new manager that may not approve of skinning hog in the camp.

I was tuning up the generator Sunday, cleaned the carburetor again, had it running pretty good so I decided to clean the generator while it was running. Big mistake, I guess I got a little water on the engine cylinder causing it to shrink and must have squeezed the piston. Never ran again after that, low compression. I would fix it if I could find parts but no parts, nothing on ebay either. Found a 1500 watt Champion generator on Craigslist for $100 so I bought it. Putting wheels on it now.

If someone has a Tecumseh 2hp, tc300 engine I would like to buy it for parts. If the generator would run I could sell it or keep it, Yep, I really screwed up. I think this is the first engine I managed to blow up.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 06-20-2018 at 12:04 AM.