Thread: I done shot my motor!!!!

Tool & Die Maker

Default I done shot my motor!!!!

Remember this:
    https://youtu.be/Ue3LxDRZ4Kw

Didn't think this would happen but the moving target machine wasn't very level. The forward target was lower than the rear target. This made the forward target (the hogs) inline with the motor. Didn't realize I was pretty much shooting at the motor. Well, now the gearbox has a bullet hole in it so now it leaks oil. Fortunately the frame took most of the hits. The 22LR did minimal damage but the 223 was a different story. What I would like to do is mount a steel plate to the frame to shield the motor from further bullet hits. That little gear motor retails for $288 but fortunately I dug 3 of them out of the trash years ago. I think the gear motor will be ok used as it is as long as there isn't a fatal bullet strike. I'll post pictures later.

I need to know how thick of a steel plate I need to not penetrate by a 223 round. Would 1/4" thick plate work?

Set it on a slope and you can use thinner metal. \/ with the motor behind the V. That has the effect of increasing the thickness of the armoring plating.

Tool & Die Maker

For your viewing enjoyment. The motor still runs but I do not know for how long. The aluminum extrusion was shot at several times by a 22LR. The major damage was by the 9mm. The hole in the motor was most likely from a 22 LR
    Attached Images Attached Images

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Jim, at the local shooting club we have a pistol metallic silhouette range. We use 3/8" hardened armor plate for targets and still have to ban the use of .223.

.223 hardball out of a TC Contender will drill/melt straight through and barely slow down. It leaves splash on the back side of the plate like a little volcano where the slug comes out.

I would weld a bit of steel to the axle and lift the targets up a little, then pack a couple of sandbags around the motor for protection from stray shots.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?