Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal Protection and U + Saftey Risks (Advice Needed)

Just make sure you are the last one to go to sleep, then pour honey all over the one of your fellow campers you like the least and then settle in for the night. Even a big bear can only eat one person per night.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Just make sure you are the last one to go to sleep, then pour honey all over the one of your fellow campers you like the least and then settle in for the night. Even a big bear can only eat one person per night.

Alan
    or take with a friend that you can run faster than
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Sorry I know it is too late and you are already gone. You got a lot of great advice. I used to be an avid backpacker and live in the north country also so here is my advice. For stopping for the night, set up camp in a triangular set up where you sleep at one point, cook at the second point, and store your food and cooking utensils at the third point. For Pete's sake, get a bear resistant food container. Each point should be 100' away from each other. Yes, get bear spray. Since you are in Canada and are not used to having guns, a gun would do you no good at all. It is PROVEN that bear spray works better then guns for surviving bear encounters. Now here is a thing you may not know. I don't know about down in the lower 48 but black bears up here are little *****es. They will mess with you just to mess with you, unlike grizzlies. Grizzlies and big and bad enough to not have a chip on their shoulders but black bears seem to have the biggest Napoleon Complex. If approached by one, throw rocks or what ever you have to let him know you are not to be messed with. Keep a nice camp fire going. It doesn't have to be big. Keep aware of your surroundings and have fun.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Sorry I know it is too late and you are already gone. You got a lot of great advice. I used to be an avid backpacker and live in the north country also so here is my advice. For stopping for the night, set up camp in a triangular set up where you sleep at one point, cook at the second point, and store your food and cooking utensils at the third point. For Pete's sake, get a bear resistant food container. Each point should be 100' away from each other. Yes, get bear spray. Since you are in Canada and are not used to having guns, a gun would do you no good at all. It is PROVEN that bear spray works better then guns for surviving bear encounters. Now here is a thing you may not know. I don't know about down in the lower 48 but black bears up here are little *****es. They will mess with you just to mess with you, unlike grizzlies. Grizzlies and big and bad enough to not have a chip on their shoulders but black bears seem to have the biggest Napoleon Complex. If approached by one, throw rocks or what ever you have to let him know you are not to be messed with. Keep a nice camp fire going. It doesn't have to be big. Keep aware of your surroundings and have fun.
    Awesome advice Simple easy.
    Man I wana come camp out that side one day... *looks at funds, looks at the economy, looks at the value of the Rand... Proceeds to cry*
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Awesome advice Simple easy.
    Man I wana come camp out that side one day... *looks at funds, looks at the economy, looks at the value of the Rand... Proceeds to cry*
    Not sure what you do for a living but you could come up for a seasonal job, either summer or winter. Since we have such a huge tourism industry, we hire a lot of people from out of country. Easy to get a work visa, a job with room and board with pay and days off to go explore.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Do your cooking away from your sleeping site and store your food either in a bear proof container or from a rope in a tree where a bear cannot reach it. My son borrowed my bear container and found it about 50 meters away from camp one morning. A bear tried to get into it but finally gave up and left. Bear spray does work. It would not be recommended by so many agencies if it didn't. Make noise. Your greatest threat is surprising a bear or encountering a female with cubs. When in bear country I always carried a hand gun and bear spray. Your odds of encountering a bear are small but being prepared is smart. Good luck.
    Hand guns are restricted in Canada. I'm waiting for my Pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    So, you're going to spend the night in a tent one hour's drive from your house. Don't worry about cooking. Take your food already prepared in as little packaging as possible. Use packaging that can be burned up in the fire (if you're going to build a fire). Have fun. Don't worry about lions, tigers and bears. Oh my!

Alan
    Nothing like cooking hotdogs over a fire...Think thats a bit over kill...might as welll not leave home if you are not going enjoy the outdoors...

Thanks guys had a great night camping. No bears ^-^

Glad you had fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Man View Post
    Thanks guys had a great night camping. No bears ^-^
    awesome Glad it turned out good!

I've never worried abut bears when camping. Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, Copperheads, scorpions, Fire ants, ticks, chiggers, fleas, bees, skunks, ... Yes, I worried about those, but not bears. Supposedly, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. will tell you that there have been recent sightings of Black Bears in parts of Texas. I'd think they are few and far between and still pretty skittish around humans.

Right now in most of Texas primitive camping is VERY primitive. The 80 degree nights do little to compensate for the 100 degree days. A campfire would be more of a novelty right now and possibly a very real liability depending on how hard the wind was blowing and the state of the surrounding vegetation. IF I were going camping now, it would be in the RV with fridge and AC.

Alan

If the bears were smart, they would be in the next RV with the fridge and AC as well. 100 degrees days and 80 degree nights are not my idea of a good time. And after that list you rattled off I may have to start a list for Texas. You don't happen have dinosaurs do you? 'Cause that would get the list started.

By the way, I just read that some lady in Florida got eaten by a dinosaur. Her yappy dogs didn't do anything to save her, which just go to show you that even dogs are too dang smart to mess with dinosaurs and would prefer to live up north.

I think that lady went in to grab her dog (which was bitten) and the gator saw a better meal.

It's funny though to hear people say, "There should've been signs that there were gators in the pond." It's FL. There's gators in every pond. That said, I'm sorry bout her demise. Nobody deserves to go out that way.

Rick, we have dinos too. It's hard to camp around them during most of the year though as the mosquitos would suck all the juice out of you, their intended victim, long before they could snack on you. Most of them stay along the coast, but they will infest any body of water deep enough to hide them. I remember a case of a rancher 100 miles inland finding one walking down a cow path in an area where the only water was stock ponds. It was a sizable gator (10' or so) and he roped it. His horse wasn't too happy about that and he had a time of it before he convinced the horse to drag the gator back to his ranch house. At that time they were still very much protected so I don't remember much after that.

One of my buddies has some land (at least that's what the tax assessor says it is) over on the coast. He gets 8 permits a year to hunt gators. He gets them all on the same day if he tries (that's how many there are). Anahuac, TX is the only place to sell dead gators in TX. He loads them in as many pickup beds as it takes, fills the bed with ice and drives like Hell the 150 or so miles from here to Anahuac to sell them. I don't think he pays for the trouble for what he gets for them.

All the hunting is not putting a dent in the population though and I expect that soon we will be in the same shape Florida is with gators killing and eating people as a primary food source soon. I have lots of gator stories from fishing and gator hunting over the past 20 years. The gators nearly always win, and when they don't, it's a tie.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I think that lady went in to grab her dog (which was bitten) and the gator saw a better meal.

It's funny though to hear people say, "There should've been signs that there were gators in the pond." It's FL. There's gators in every pond. That said, I'm sorry bout her demise. Nobody deserves to go out that way.
    This is what I think happened too. The gator got hold of something and dragged it into the water. A 12' alligator weighs over 600#. They don't maintain that kind of bulk by eating Fufu dogs.

Alan

And that...is why I live in Indiana. Rabbits won't eat ya. They might scare the bajeesus out of you if you nearly step on one but they definitely won't eat ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And that...is why I live in Indiana. Rabbits won't eat ya. They might scare the bajeesus out of you if you nearly step on one but they definitely won't eat ya.
    Oh yeah?

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Wait Rick, those are British rabbits and they have been conditioned through the generations to not fear humans due to a combination of the firearms laws and animal rights activists.

Do notice that none of the victims are equipped with shotguns.

Having no fear of consequences, or fear of humans, and feeling totally protected by the media, they have developed an aggressive nature not known by American bunnies, who know we will fill them with buckshot and then complain about the presence of the buckshot as we EAT THEM!

Only in areas of the world under excessive British influence are bunnies allowed to be so aggressive and proliferate without control to the point that they reach the status of "pest" and offer a threat to humans.

You are safe.

Take down the sign and the next time you feel that twinge of fear call someone form Kentucky over for consultation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Point made. About the only I truly fear around here are ground squirrels. They seem to be on some clandestine mission to undermine all concrete and collapse it. It's a never ending battle to trap them. Muhahahahahahaha. So far I'm ahead but not by much.