Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surviving with Allergies

Default Surviving with Allergies

Ok, so what if you're out and about and become lost. For the sake of argument assume that you've got no antihistamines or epinephrine with you, and you find yourself stricken by some natural allergy. What do you do? How do you cope? I seriously want / need to know lol. My toddler stage allergies are beginning to hit me again.

I've read that nettle acts as a mild natural anti-histamine, and that honey that is local to the area can act as an antidote to pollen allergies. Don't know if any of this is true or not, haven't tried.

If you are experiencing breathing problems/airway constriction I have read anecdotal reports that drinking really strong brews of tea/coffee can help to relieve the inflammation. The reason being the large amounts of caffeine in the drinks act as a stimulant for the central nervous system and cause bronchdilation. Again, I don't know if any of these are true just things I have read in the past. I have not seen any real scientific studies to support their uses.

I've come across that in regards to coffee/tea as well. The caffeine/stimulant acts as you said - mildly, and the steam coming off of the liquid helps as well in loosening the mucus.

As Tacmedic said - the advise about honey is great, especially since hay fever is so common.

When bitten by an insect when i was child the advise i was given was to use Lemon juice, i don't know why this helps or if it justs an old wives tale/placebo but if you react to insect bites you could try that.
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert

If it's plant allergies, you might try wetting a bandanna or other piece of tight webbed cloth and use as a mask to try and filter pollen. That might offer some short term relief. If the allergy is insect stings then you better have your injectables with you at all times.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My allergies are a variety of tree pollens.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas_Ranger View Post
    My allergies are a variety of tree pollens.
    I have vegitation allergies also. What I carry with me in my survival equipment are a number of those surgical masks. Those are sometimes the first items to be used even if I am not in a survival situation while out in the woods. We have desert areas here on the eastern side of the two states that I roam in. every Spring to Summer the sage brush starts blooming as well as the Juniper. I could walk right into an air mass with those two pollens in it and I am instantly debilitated by them.

Juniper btw is really profuse in it's pollen. Some time ago there was a 'dusting' of something all over the cars in the Seattle area. They couldn't figure out what it was and it hit the national news media. About a week later they finally figured out what it was: Juniper pollen from Eastern WA. Man, that stuff is wicked.

Squirt water up your nose to wash out pollen and dust. Seriously, they sell squirt bottles of saline just for this use. Or get some other squirt bottle, fill with clean water, and squirt.

As for the lack of kleenex when I get a runny nose, I use the "sniff and spit" method. Gross, but it works.

To be honest, I got allergy shots as a kid. 20 years after the shots the allergies slowly started returning, notable by the occasional use of antihistamines. Now, 30 years after the shots, I can say the shots totally stopped working and I'm getting allergy shots again.
    --
    Peter: Mort, do you have any suppositories in any other flavors? These don't taste very good.
    Mort: Peter! You're not eating them are you?
    Peter: Of course I am! What, do you think I'm stuffing them up my @$$?
    Last edited by bulrush; 05-28-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Bulrush as a good point on the saline. Great for sinus infections as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Squirt water up your nose to wash out pollen and dust. Seriously, they sell squirt bottles of saline just for this use. Or get some other squirt bottle, fill with clean water, and squirt.

As for the lack of kleenex when I get a runny nose, I use the "sniff and spit" method. Gross, but it works.

To be honest, I got allergy shots as a kid. 20 years after the shots the allergies slowly started returning, notable by the occasional use of antihistamines. Now, 30 years after the shots, I can say the shots totally stopped working and I'm getting allergy shots again.
    --
    Peter: Mort, do you have any suppositories in any other flavors? These don't taste very good.

My wife does the squirt bottle thing. She used one of those small catsup type bottles that you find in hot dog places. She swears she gets relief.

I don't have any allergies. Sure am glad of that.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post

--
    I do the sniff and spit thing constantly. For that reason, I just visited my physician a few days ago to arrange a consult with an allergist. He also gave me a prescription for Allegra and a sample bottle of Rhinocort which is the first nose spray I've ever used. My mom has always used saline like you suggest forever. Like you, I used to get allergy shots, and now nearly 20 years later I find myself with constant sniffles. Usually, it's nothing bad enough to say to myself "hey, I'm allergic to something," but it's become a quality of life issue. I'm simply tired of it. Hopefully, the I'll resume allergy shots and rid myself of the problem.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Smile Works For Me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Bulrush as a good point on the saline. Great for sinus infections as well.
    Those little teapot thingies work well with saline after a long ATV ride or just cutting grass.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Those little teapot thingies work well with saline after a long ATV ride or just cutting grass.
    I can't even mow the yard anymore.

The nose washes work well, but you must do it every day, or more if the allergies are really bothering you. This year I got a nasal washer that looks like a syringe. If I have allergies I'll try it. Currently I am getting allergy shots, and no allergies yet. Usually I have the occasional sniffles by now but I'm glad I have had zero reaction.

There is write up in Mother Earth News about natural remedies. Might be of some help.

Default Interesting

I found this article on WebMD that seemed to metion all the above things, including a nasay rinse/spray.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...allergy-relief

This is a GREAT thread, thanks!

Two main types of allergies, chronic and acute. Chronic (hay fever, rash) are an issue but nothing compared to acute allergic reactions.

Some of my concerns are just what are listed above. A bad reaction to an insect sting and proper anaphylaxis is probably the worst. Asthma inhaled medicine might have some role, as a broncho-dilator. The problem is that allergies are a systemic problem, generally. This makes a lymphatic-occlusive type dressing (for a snake bite) worthless. Ice and symptomatic treatment will have local activity, only.

For pollen/hair/dander based allergies:
    Good ideas I can think of are to get away from the offnsive agent, if known. Get clean, with water, and try to get the irritants off you and get some clean clothes.

Hmmm, I am gonna look into this, thanks for the info, too!

Default When in doubt...

When in doubt...do your homework.

Field guid to Wilderness Medicine (P. Auerbach) addresses this, loosely. Of course epinephrine, antihistamines and steroids are the mainstays. However, the text also mentions that to decrease the absorption of the antigen (from sting in extremity) place limb dependent position, intermittently apply icepacks for vasoconstriction (10 min on, then 10 off) and loosely apply a constriction bandage to obstruct venous and lymphatic flow. Release this for 1 minute, every 10 minutes. Caution not to occlude the artery.

I am still not sure how effective this wil be, but it is better than nothing.

Still looking

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDoc View Post
    When in doubt...do your homework.

Field guid to Wilderness Medicine (P. Auerbach) addresses this, loosely. Of course epinephrine, antihistamines and steroids are the mainstays. However, the text also mentions that to decrease the absorption of the antigen (from sting in extremity) place limb dependent position, intermittently apply icepacks for vasoconstriction (10 min on, then 10 off) and loosely apply a constriction bandage to obstruct venous and lymphatic flow. Release this for 1 minute, every 10 minutes. Caution not to occlude the artery.

I am still not sure how effective this wil be, but it is better than nothing.

Still looking
    Doc - when you get a chance, could you please say that again in English?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For sting allergies of the fingers or hands, make sure you remove rings and watch or other jewelry. If the appendage starts swelling you make have to cut the jewelry off. Otherwise blood flow to the finger or hand could be compromised.

Thank you. (Wow, you speak Doc)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel