Thread: Backyard forge, making lift bar for pots

Default Backyard forge, making lift bar for pots

Hi all, wanted to make a lifting bar for my Dutch oven and have lots of 3/8 re-bar so I fired up the backyard forge and this what I came up with. Works great!

IMGP0032.jpg

IMGP0033.jpg

IMGP0035.jpg

IMGP0037.jpg

IMGP0038.jpg

Here is a closeup picture of the small blower that is the hart of the forge. Turns a lame fire into a 2000F + infernal. Check out the simple cardboard air control valve.

IMGP0036.jpg

Very cool man
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You will burn that blower out restricting the air flow like that.

You can get a rheostat (dimmer switch) at Lowes or Home Depot for just a couple of bucks that will control the speed without restricting the air intake.

Mine had a simple three speed hair dryer blowing through a piece of flexible exhaust line. I think my son is still using it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You will burn that blower out restricting the air flow like that.

You can get a rheostat (dimmer switch) at Lowes or Home Depot for just a couple of bucks that will control the speed without restricting the air intake.

Mine had a simple three speed hair dryer blowing through a piece of flexible exhaust line. I think my son is still using it.
    There are lots of different types of motors in common use, the motor on my little blower is an induction shaded poll AC motor that was designed to use 110/120 AC at 60 Hz To the best of my knowledge rheostats are not recommend for use on induction motors. The speed of an induction motor is set by the number of polls and the AC Hz. There are three speed induction motors with one of the most common being a cheap box fan. It uses different windings for the three speeds. I believe a rheostat should only be used on DC brushed motors and universal AC motors. A universal AC motor is basically a DC motor that has been modified to run on AC. Some common examples would be a corded hand drill and shop vac. BTW - blocking the inlet on the cheap little blower does not load down the motor, the air just slips around the sloppy fitting impeller.

that turned out great. I need to make one for my dutch oven
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Nicely done