Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My pet peeve

While the average North American that finds themselves in a "wilderness survival" situation will want to be seen by rescuers. A hiker in a multi-use area might need to use high visibility to alert hunters to their presents. An orange vest hidden under a camo pack might not get the job done.

Most of my packs are Camo, black, or coyote. But, my bushcraft pack is grey and black. That is the pack I am most likely to have on in the woods. The other packs for the woods are hunting packs. I have one for archery, muzzle loader, general gun and ducks. I only wear those when I am hunting and all are camo. The coyote is a sort of general camp pack that usually stays in camp. And I have a black urban type back pack that I use as my range bag for pistols. Because it doesn't scream gun.

A very simple solution to your pet peeve is to throw a high-viz backpack cover in each pack. I keep certain items in every pack. And at less than $10 each, it is cheap insurance https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Ru.../dp/B06XGXYC1R. I wrap the game in high viz vest, my self in a high viz vest and my pack in high viz. Because people do get shoot dragging or carrying game out down here.

Also, a lot of are overly confident in their skills and get lost.

There are many books and shows that illustrate the need to be able to signal and be seen. So many people say they saw and heard rescuers or planes or ships or helicopters. But, for rescue to work, the rescuer must see or hear you. And trust me many of those people would have built a signal fire if that was an option. You have to remember your not in a situation in which you might very well die (survival situation) because everything went your way. You are in a survival situation because Mr. Murphy is kicking your *** at every turn and a perfect storm if shift is hitting the fan.

There are thousands of people who wished to be seen and rescued for every one that wished to evade someone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    While the average North American that finds themselves in a "wilderness survival" situation will want to be seen by rescuers. A hiker in a multi-use area might need to use high visibility to alert hunters to their presents. An orange vest hidden under a camo pack might not get the job done.

Most of my packs are Camo, black, or coyote. But, my bushcraft pack is grey and black. That is the pack I am most likely to have on in the woods. The other packs for the woods are hunting packs. I have one for archery, muzzle loader, general gun and ducks. I only wear those when I am hunting and all are camo. The coyote is a sort of general camp pack that usually stays in camp. And I have a black urban type back pack that I use as my range bag for pistols. Because it doesn't scream gun.

A very simple solution to your pet peeve is to throw a high-viz backpack cover in each pack. I keep certain items in every pack. And at less than $10 each, it is cheap insurance https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Ru.../dp/B06XGXYC1R. I wrap the game in high viz vest, my self in a high viz vest and my pack in high viz. Because people do get shoot dragging or carrying game out down here.

Also, a lot of are overly confident in their skills and get lost.

There are many books and shows that illustrate the need to be able to signal and be seen. So many people say they saw and heard rescuers or planes or ships or helicopters. But, for rescue to work, the rescuer must see or hear you. And trust me many of those people would have built a signal fire if that was an option. You have to remember your not in a situation in which you might very well die (survival situation) because everything went your way. You are in a survival situation because Mr. Murphy is kicking your *** at every turn and a perfect storm if shift is hitting the fan.

There are thousands of people who wished to be seen and rescued for every one that wished to evade someone.
    Ah, you make very good points. But the differences are; 1. I'm not talking about hikers or hunters. 2. I don't need rescued unless accounting for serious bodily harm.

Now, with that being said. Again, I never made the point of not carrying items for signaling as it is a means of general communication if you have a group. I have three ways to signal in my pack; a signal mirror, a whistle, and a bright orange and reflective mylar blanket.

Now assuming that I am in a situation where I am in the wild, at least 5 days walk from any person, and I have my survival kit with me. Based on just the outlined situation, not only could I make that five day journey, I would be comfortable doing to the point I may just make it a camping trip of sorts. That is to say, if Murphy's law doesn't rear it's ugly head at me. But, short of an NBC attack, I have all the items needed to maintain a basic comfort level in said situation. See, while I do have confidence in my skills, I have a strange knack for not getting lost. That is, I seem to always find my way. Example being, I used to live in New Mexico where just about everything looks alike. I found myself one day walking without a bit of knowledge as to where the mall was and hiked several miles with just two 2 liters of water and a music player. I found my way to the mall just by following my instincts. That was back in 2007 before I became really ingrained in the culture of being a survivalist.
    Stay scoped and keep your eye on the target.
    Semper Fortis, Semper Gumby, Semper Paratus, Semper Fidelis, Mentis Corporisque.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The next time I get lost on the way to the mall I will call you.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

those darn malls are so hard to find.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Hell, I've been lost IN the mall. Thank God I finally found the food court.

Alan

I've never been lost in my house but I will admit to being turned around a time or two.

I get lost in open plan kitchen but that is another story
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I agree about the visibility, mostly because I prep for long term urban survival and Detroit won't be fun when Rikers and whatnot can see me from a mile away. I'll stick to black for now, thanks.

What's a Riker and why on earth would you stay in Detroit.
    Heck, I'd have left years ago...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Rikers Island Prison Complex. I guess he's going to make a run for it.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes it does seem that some folk get their wilderness survival and their urban ****e-hole survival mixed up.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Rikers Prison is New York, not Michigan. Maybe he's traveling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm sort of concerned about the "whatnots" he mentioned. I know the "havenots" can be pretty dangerous in bad times but I know nothing about the "whatnots". (shaking head). Something else I probably have to plan for.

"Whatnots" are the knots my sons used to tie when tying something down or when tying their tennis shoes. Untying them usually involved a knife or hatchet.

Alan

Oh, good. I have a knife so I'm equipped as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunmaghlas View Post
    I agree about the visibility, mostly because I prep for long term urban survival and Detroit won't be fun when Rikers and whatnot can see me from a mile away. I'll stick to black for now, thanks.
    Personally in SHTF and urban survival,
    my goal would be to blend in as much as I can and not stick out like some taticool dude that has gear..
    looking the part in an urban situation can be hazardous..
    Wilderness survival on the other hand Would be nice to disappear if needed in a similar scenario(escape/evade).. but in terms for normal I just got lost in the bush Scenario then I would want to be very highly visible to effect a better rescue..
    So yeah really depends on situation..
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 07-02-2018 at 12:55 PM.