Thread: Dedicated Guns

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Dedicated Guns

Considering the problem Jim has been having with his .300BO I got to considering ownership of firearms that use only one type of ammo. In his case the situation of a gun that will only use factory ammo, but there are others.

I suppose as soon as one buys a second gun there becomes a division of labor with one gun dedicated to one use and the second to another.

There is always that old saying that you should "beware of the man that owns only one gun". You should beware of him, he is either a non-shooter, engages in only one shooting sport, or he is poor!

The poor guy might just shoot you and take your stuff. That is why the saying says "beware" of him!

Today we have a selection of firearms types that is truly astounding. Just in .223 we have available good bolt action rifles, precision rifles, semi-auto rifles in several platforms, single shot rifles, and combination rifles that sport a shotgun barrel added to the rifle. although they shoot the same cartridge they have entirely different uses and fill a multitude of needs.

I have a 12 gauge shotgun. So does most of the shooting population of America. Big whoop!

I also have another 12 gauge set up for turkey hunting, and another with a rifled slug barrel for deer, and another with a short barrel and laser sight for serious social situations. then I have the other two that are present because they belonged to special family members that used them to keep the family fed through hard times.

But even during those "hard times" of the Great Depression both of my Grandads marched out of that situation with shotgun, rifle and pistol present. Each had a dedicated function although all were of generic general purpose nature. One gun will seldom do it all, in spite of the mythology.

So If you own a gun that only shoots factory ammo don't sweat it. I have one rifle that will not shoot factory ammo but does great with one specific hand load. That is all I feed it. I have others that get a special diet or a specific diet due to their function.

Having a gun that will do only one thing, or eat only one ammo type, is an excellent excuse for adding another gun to the battery that will fill that vacant space!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I took the “beware of the guy with one gun” totally different. To me it meant he knew that weapon.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is the myth they want you to believe!

I my state you can't even hunt half the game available if you only have one gun, unless it is a combination gun deal.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I know a guy and his only gun is an old browning mod 5. He fills his quotas every year.

I have lots of dedicated guns. I have a low number 03 that I got already Bubbaized. It only gets low pressure cast loads. I have an 870 and a Mod 11 that I use for duck hunting in brackish water. No way am I taking the Citori or the Suerposed into those conditions. Then there's the Parker 20 gage that will only see action on especially special quail hunts (it doesn't see much action these days). I have two rifles that will shoot Rem green box as good as my best load and one that shoots it better than any load I've tried so far. 98% of my ammunition is reloaded not counting shotgun and 22lr. I lost track of how many different rounds I load for but it is in excess of 30 and there are a few that I don't have dies for yet.

Yes, dedicated guns. Each one has a purpose. For a good number of them that purpose is adding to the overall mass of the gunsafe they are in. There are some that will never know what a cartridge feels like loaded in its chamber. I have a SAA 44-40 that I will never know if it actually operates. It is unturned. Then there is the Springfield 511 with the 19 inch barrels that literally has been crawled through the dirt with, and it shows. It's clean and operates 100% but it is scarred up pretty bad. I used it looking for wounded hogs that sons and nephews shot.

I have my BBQ guns and my riding the tractor in the dust and/or rain guns. Picking out the gun is the most difficult part of the hunt. I already know that I'm probably not going to shoot a deer, even if it gives itself up. One year a little spike buck stepped out in the road. I stopped sighted on him, got out, slammed the truck door, coughed, walked around to the other side of the truck, ... and finally had to just get back in and drive away. He was still munching corn when I drove off. It was really kinda embarrassing to be punked by a deer.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is the myth they want you to believe!
    Nope. I know what I know.

LOL, I can do the Bubba types of shrimp dishes scene from Forrest Gump just on 12 gauges I own. LOL I used to could hunt everything with my Model 1400 and a choke barrel and a slug barrel. But, now I have 8 purpose driven 12 gauges. I could still get by with just the 1400...

KYRS, I coulda used you around while I was married to help make that point with ex's. Now with them all as ex's, I'm too poor to buy one for every purpose and living in RV I don't have the room. Nah, kidding aside for what I hunt, things that go bump in the night and CCW, I'm covered.

I'm not at all against having a variety. I do believe a pistol, shotgun, and a rifle is the minimum every person should have. Each one should be appropriate to the owner and the owner should be extremely proficient with each one of the three. After that, it becomes purely hobby and to each their own. Just my .02
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten