Thread: Making char tin from two cans of same dia

Default Making char tin from two cans of same dia

Hi all, here is a simple way to make a char tin out of two cans with the same diameter. Just take your multi tool and twist one of the cans at two point 180 degrees apart on the rim. Reshape with hand to make it as round as you can then fill with cloth or punk wood then batten together. If you do it right they will almost seal but there is still enough leakage for venting with no need for a hole.

IMGP0028.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

Works great and there is enough room for a large batch.

You can use a soup can and a veggie can as well. Invert the soup can into the veggie can and tap a small hole in the bottom (which is now the top) of the soup can. The cloth will offgass. If you light the gas that is coming out of the hole you made once the flame goes out the cloth is done!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I just use a big old fruitcake tin on the grill and make a year supply at a time. I have a small tin made from a shoe polish tin I use for demos at camps.

Never ever try to make charcloth inside the house. The stove hood can not keep up with that volume of smoke.

Don't even ask...
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Experience comes from mistakes and mistakes ... well, they are better left forgotten unless there were witnesses. In that case ... have an excuse handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Experience comes from mistakes and mistakes ... well, they are better left forgotten unless there were witnesses. In that case ... have an excuse handy.
    ...and that’s how a nickname begins. Lol

Kyratshooter might know about that too.

The only knick name I might have gotten from that charcloth experience would have been the title of Moron applied to me by my x-wife.

She did not cut me any slack at all for being a young kid of barely 40 and knowing no better!

We will not discuss the chain of events leading up to that situation wherein my #1 daughter, who was 13 at the time, came downstairs into the smoke filled kitchen and asked, "Is Mom cooking again?"

That statement was considered a grave insult and I was really in trouble at that point even though I had not made the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The only knick name I might have gotten from that charcloth experience would have been the title of Moron applied to me by my x-wife.

She did not cut me any slack at all for being a young kid of barely 40 and knowing no better!

We will not discuss the chain of events leading up to that situation wherein my #1 daughter, who was 13 at the time, came downstairs into the smoke filled kitchen and asked, "Is Mom cooking again?"

That statement was considered a grave insult and I was really in trouble at that point even though I had not made the comment.
    That was OBVIOUSLY your fault, kyrat. If you hadn't filled the kitchen with smoke, your daughter wouldn't've had the impetus to make the comment about your wife's cooking. Your fault.

Yes, I'm married, but I guess that's obvious, too.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Then you know how these things progress and gain speed as they flow down hill!

I did make a quick inventory of places I could make char cloth or char punk without getting into trouble and realized that the pavilion at the local park had a big stone fireplace at one end. I could build a small fire in that and make all the charcloth I needed without retaliation from friends, family, or the local fire department.

Where I live now it does not matter. I just finished burning a freekin' 50 foot tall tree that blew down across the corner of the yard a couple of years ago. I set that thing on fire and it burned 9 days!

Only thing I heard of it was one neighbor calling to ask if I had enough marshmallows.