Thread: Old Geezer Pet Peeves

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Old Geezer Pet Peeves

Been on You-tube too much lately and I have noticed the presence of some habits that really tick me off to no end! Most of those guys are morons anyway but they sure have a knack of trying to convince everyone else their stupidity is normal.

There are a few things I can tolerate for the information but sometimes when I hear stupidity I have to throw out everything else they say as possible ignorant babbling. It is like someone screeching their fingernails on the chalk board.

1. The best three shots out of 15 is not a group. You do not get to pick three shots touching each other off to one side and discount all other shots. The group is the size of all the shots in the string, not the ones you select as best.

2. Two shots touching each other is not a "one hole group", it is two shots touching. Two shots is not a group, two shots is the start of a group.

3. A bunch of shots tearing a ragged hole one inch in diameter is not a "one hole group", it is a big hole!

4. One shot is not proof of accuracy. I have found that if I have a bad flyer it is usually the first shot and it does not prove anything. It is sure not the shot I want to adjust my scope settings too.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

How many points does hitting the center of the shooter's target next to you count for? DOH! ;-)

Where is that guy that takes care of fake news when you need him?

I have shot one (1) three-shot one-hole group in my life. I shot once. Then I shot again, couldn't find the hole. Shot at the target next to the first. When I laid the first on top of the second, it was exactly in the same spot. I stopped shooting right then as I was sure my luck would not hold out.

The rifle was a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. The ammo was Remington Green box 150 gr Core-Lokt.

Normally, I shoot three shot groups because when I shoot 5 shot groups they go to Hell on #4.

I clean my rifles after shooting and oil the bore. When I am ready to shoot (hunt) I swab the bore with a dry rag. They are sighted in for that first shot. I'm not concerned about the second shot in those situations. I try not to shoot groups on deer. This method has served me well.

Pet peeves. In order of magnitude.
    1. My biggest pet peeve is muzzle control.
    2. Bystander control. I never stand beside someone who is shooting. Always behind them. If they are standing, I am standing. If they are seated, I am seated.
    3. I don't care about Mag vs clip, or rifle vs gun, or Pistol vs revolver. I do kinda cringe at cartridges being called "bullets" (except by people I know are kidding).
    4. I never shoot other people's reloads and I don't reload for other people.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 05-17-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Been on You-tube too much lately and I have noticed the presence of some habits that really tick me off to no end! Most of those guys are morons anyway but they sure have a knack of trying to convince everyone else their stupidity is normal.

There are a few things I can tolerate for the information but sometimes when I hear stupidity I have to throw out everything else they say as possible ignorant babbling. It is like someone screeching their fingernails on the chalk board.

1. The best three shots out of 15 is not a group. You do not get to pick three shots touching each other off to one side and discount all other shots. The group is the size of all the shots in the string, not the ones you select as best.

2. Two shots touching each other is not a "one hole group", it is two shots touching. Two shots is not a group, two shots is the start of a group.

3. A bunch of shots tearing a ragged hole one inch in diameter is not a "one hole group", it is a big hole!

4. One shot is not proof of accuracy. I have found that if I have a bad flyer it is usually the first shot and it does not prove anything. It is sure not the shot I want to adjust my scope settings too.
    Some people just dont want to admit, even to themselves that they cannot shoot well.
    So I guess they show only the results that make them look good..
    I am not a very good shot at all (i suppose I could be with a lot of practice) but for the most part even these types of braggarts well if you ever met them in person, I guess an average shooter would out shoot them.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Probably my biggest pet peeve is asking a specific question of experience with something and getting a dozen or more "this is what I would do's and not based on experience of the question you asked. Example: a specific question if anyone had any experience with a specific gun because thinking about buying one for a daughter for self defense and getting "you should buy this or that". The most peeving part of it are some of the most god awful bits of "advice" one could give for a 5'5" 120 lb 21yr old girl who has never shot anything, like a 12ga shockwave for a home defense. Moral of the story, a trip to the gun store to try on few to see how they fit, she chose what I asked specifically about so that's what she got for her 21st bday present and consistently puts all 6 center mass comfortably and enjoys doing it unlike 1 shot with my 12ga, handing it back to me never wanting to shoot it again.
    KYRS thank you for the info you gave on the Armscor M200 awhile back. The girl loves it!!

That burns my biscuits too!

Also that thing where you ask a specific question and the third post is "anybody know how much a Whatzit 3 is worth?"

And the accuracy based question some dufus answers by telling you that you need to learn to shoot!

I hope that pistol works out for her. If I did not have 38 revolvers multiplying like rats in the gun safe already I would own two of them.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-17-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That burns my biscuits too!

Also that thing where you ask a specific question and the third post is "anybody know how much a Whatzit 3 is worth?"

And the accuracy based question some dufus answers by telling you that you need to learn to shoot!

I hope that pistol works out for her. If I did not have 38 revolvers multiplying like rats in the gun safe already I would own two of them.
    Well she loves it, loves shooting it which is key! If you don't like shooting something, you're never gonna put the time in to get good with it. She is talking about getting her CCW now too. I had to get the dremel out to both the left side of the grip to take the speed loaders and found a like new bianchi holster in the $10 dollar holster bargain box at the local gun store. All in all she was a happy girl with the old man's bday present.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoname View Post
    Probably my biggest pet peeve is asking a specific question of experience with something and getting a dozen or more "this is what I would do's and not based on experience of the question you asked. Example: a specific question if anyone had any experience with a specific gun because thinking about buying one for a daughter for self defense and getting "you should buy this or that". The most peeving part of it are some of the most god awful bits of "advice" one could give for a 5'5" 120 lb 21yr old girl who has never shot anything, like a 12ga shockwave for a home defense. Moral of the story, a trip to the gun store to try on few to see how they fit, she chose what I asked specifically about so that's what she got for her 21st bday present and consistently puts all 6 center mass comfortably and enjoys doing it unlike 1 shot with my 12ga, handing it back to me never wanting to shoot it again.
    KYRS thank you for the info you gave on the Armscor M200 awhile back. The girl loves it!!
    I went back the 15 months a read the question and answers. I didn’t see where anyone recommend a 12 gage shockwave. The question about the pistol also stated about home defense. So, the question might not have been as specific as intended.

I think MWNN was making a generalized statement rather than citing a specific post here on this forum.

Most of us have seen the same type replies many times.