Thread: new project

Default new project

here is a recent handgun I picked up for a project. I'm thinking about having it blued and converted to 9mm and then putting on a set of red nine grips.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That's one I have to say "leave it like it is".

I am not usually that way with military surplus firearms but a C96 is special just the way it came out of the factory.

What is it now? 7.63 Mauser? That cartridge has nothing to apologize for. (It will shoot 7.62x25 Russian also.)

If so just tell everyone that is the firearm Winston Churchill was carrying when the Boers captured him.

it is 7.63 with a less than fair bore. all numbers match but there is a bit of pitting here and there. the grips at least have to go.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Oh, Man. Leave it as is.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I need to come up with a leather holster for it too. One of those wooden butt stock holsters are to bulky in my opinion.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes I have the drool thing going too. I am about to ruin the keyboard here. I have had about one of every classic that was issued to German or American forces from WW1 on, but I have never found a C96 I could afford.

Their history is so rich it is almost overwhelming. They are the reason the Soviets used the 7.62x25 in their pistols and sub-machine guns and are therefore the reason AK was developed. The Soviets were not looking for an assault rifle, they were looking for a sub-machine gun with more punch.

Randy those grips are probably original to the pistol and could be over 100 years old. Nothing you add too that gun is going to add to the value either financial or historical, and anything you do to it will detract from its value especially if it has all matching parts. A little pitting is expected on a C96 that has seen any use at all. Every primer popped in that pistol for the first 60 years of its existence was corrosive!

What is the production date on that thing?

If I remember correctly Mauser made a real nice leather shoulder holster for the C96 that did not have the butt stock attached. It had a harness deal to hold it against the chest. Leather was expensive in Europe and they made their holsters from pieced together patterns that had 10-12 separate pieces of leather sewn together, then the whole thing was wet formed around a blocky form and the pistol just fell into the holster then the lid set down on top and was secured by a frog fastener.

Here's you a little something to watch and learn a bit from. There's even cartoons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePfPqlMoHPI&t=51s
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-07-2018 at 12:44 AM.

That's pretty danged sweet! You find the darndest things.

If you make any changes, I would suggest cosmetic ones only, and easily reversible.

Here's my suggestion:

blastercompleteright__75608.1451677753.385.385.jpg
    han-solo.jpg
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

thanks for the replies, now y'all have me wondering. I need to at least get rid of that galvanized screw.