Thread: Water Safety

Default Water Safety

With summer and school vacations coming up in a few months, now is a time to prepare for drownproofing and boating safety and water safety

www.ndpa.org says May is Drowning Prevention Month
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 04-15-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

A friend of mine was a very good surfer. The bigger waves the better. If you surf big surf enough your going to experience your leash breaking. Now you're swimming in a very dangerous place. It's hard to comprehend the power of water. Especially when it keeps coming down on your head and driving you down. My friend was a very good swimmer. He drowned one calm night on a lake after going for a midnight paddle in his canoe. The friends on shore could hear him calling for help for awhile. They thought he was kidding. There was alcohol involved.

I've lost more friends to difficult whitewater runs. The thought. "He/She died doing what he/she loved." offers no solace.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-15-2018 at 06:28 AM.

People on the lake always stare because I wear one of those self-inflating vests when out fishing alone.
    Maybe I should wear pants too?
    Kidding aside, I ain't taking chances, especially when out alone in the very early morning,
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a nice PFD I wear while fishing.

I keep two more cheap ones in the boat as loaners.

The John boat does not have padded seats so you know where those two wind up.

The John boat has one critical advantage over a canoe, the chambers under the box seats are filled with foam. Three of them a foot wide and a foot tall.

You can fill that boat with water and it will still float 3" above the water surface.

The 16" fiberglass fishing boat is the same way. The bottom is layered with 4" of foam and it runs between the layers of the sides all the way around. I have never tried to fill that boat so I do not know how it reacts to being filled with water. I doubt it would sink, just sort of hang there at the surface.

I have pulled about 3 people out of the sea..
    It is not a joke
    Rip tides and weather can cause really rough seas, even if you cant always see it via the waves, the rip tides under neath the water can be really really hectic.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    A friend of mine was a very good surfer. The bigger waves the better. If you surf big surf enough your going to experience your leash breaking. Now you're swimming in a very dangerous place. It's hard to comprehend the power of water. Especially when it keeps coming down on your head and driving you down. My friend was a very good swimmer. He drowned one calm night on a lake after going for a midnight paddle in his canoe. The friends on shore could hear him calling for help for awhile. They thought he was kidding. There was alcohol involved.

I've lost more friends to difficult whitewater runs. The thought. "He/She died doing what he/she loved." offers no solace.
    Its not only , do not drink and drive, it should also include, do not drink and paddle....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!