Thread: Chicago-area community bans assault weapons

Tool & Die Maker

Default Chicago-area community bans assault weapons

Had lunch with some old pals today. They are all up in arms in fear this weapons ban will spread to other communities. But hold on, this is how the city ordinance reads...

The Deerfield Village Board of Trustees unanimously approved Monday night, it is unlawful for a person "to carry, keep, bear, transport or possess an assault weapon in the Village," except if the weapon is "broken down in a non-functioning state," is "not immediately accessible to any person," or is "unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card."

The link: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/05/us/de...rnd/index.html

Unless I'm missing something there isn't much new here and that is the amusing part. The ordinance does not specify if these rules apply inside a private home and I need to know what, "not immediately accessible to any person", really means, trunk of a car. It has been illegal for years to transport guns without being inside a gun case. I'm not sure it is illegal to stand in my front yard and wave a functional AR-15 around but I would never do it.

The Firearm Owner's Identification card is required in Illinois to buy or be in possession of guns or ammunition has been in effect for over 40 years, nothing new there.

Does this ordinance apply to guns inside a gun shop? Could be Deerfield has no gun shops.

Didn't the shooter in Middleton, Florida have his gun broken down and in a case or backpack. No laws broken until he took it onto school property and inside the school.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

It's more in the definition of what is an "assault weapon."
    Welcome to the MA model of gun laws.
    Make the law so confusing, not even the courts know what is what. That is the intent. To make firearms owners doubt what is right or wrong.

But,
    The. Criminals. STILL. Do. Not. Care.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

That's pretty vague. But then again, they may have wanted it to be.

In Malaysia, Assault Weapons are deemed to be firearms approved to be used by the army and able to fire in automatic or rapid (burst) mode.
    Examples are MP5s, M16s, M4s, British SLRs, AR47s, Steyers and so forth.
    Our law only allows non rapid firing weapons. In order for a citizen to own a handgun, the person must have at least Ringgit 2 million in the bank and taxes paid based on that minimal amount. High ranking govt officials with possible threats are allowed to own handguns (issued by the way) They include magistrates, judges, District Officers, Ministers and Peoples's representatives that sits in the assemblies (sort of senate). Royal families of course are allowed. In order to own rifles, are sportsman who compete in shooting sports, people who own more than 10 acres of orchards or plantations (pest control).
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

The rifles are limited to .22s and 12 gauge.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Tool & Die Maker

I heard semi-auto's were allowed if the magazine was built into the firearm. This would include semi-auto shotguns and the
    M1 Garand. I wonder if the city of Deerfield knows these firearms still need to be cased when transported. I can't find anything in print to verify the magazine rumor.

What we have here is a government agency trying to legislate a topic they know very little about. You guys should hear a Chicago radio station talking about Deerfield has the answers and other communities will follow. They don't talk about how this will make anyone safer or reduce crime. It is like the blind leading the blind.

Grain by grain the ant emptied the warehouse.

Jim Glass; " ... The Firearm Owner's Identification card is required in Illinois to buy or be in possession of guns or ammunition has been in effect for over 40 years, nothing new there. ..."
    Well that has certainly prevented murders, shootings, robberies and home invasions in the Chicago area, huh?

Here is an excellent response to another city council that want to do the same as Deerfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Lsu6CIZkthc

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post

The Firearm Owner's Identification card is required in Illinois to buy or be in possession of guns or ammunition has been in effect for over 40 years, nothing new there.
    Hey, be careful there. That gun card is the pride and joy of Illinois politicians because they got some gun control passed back in 1968. Never mind it has no effect on crime. However, it is a pain in the neck to all gun owners. Many years ago a politician told me if nothing else if a gang banger is caught with a gun and no card it is a $500 fine. While the politicians are thinking about that gun card their not thinking about passing more gun control.

The response video was very very good
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.

I had my FID when I lived there. One more reason I don't live there any more.

Tool & Die Maker

The gun ban for certain guns passed by the city of Deerfield, Illinois has been blocked by the court the day before the ban was to go into effect.

Apparently the state of Illinois passed a law in 2013 where municipalities cannot pass gun ban laws. However, municipalities that already had a ban on certain weapons before 2013 are grand fathered in. Seems like someone would have checked into this a long time ago.

Preemption laws have never stopped zealots from trying to have their way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

The Illinois state Senate and House passed a bill called the "Firearm Restraining Order". Again, it passed but the governor probably won't sign the bill but he next governor probably will. I read the bill. Basically anyone a gun owner lives with can call the county sheriff and state the gun owner is a danger to himself/herself or others. The Sheriff goes before a judge and obtains a restraining order and a search warrant to remove all firearms from the gun owner. This is all without the gun owners knowledge. The gun owner sits at home watching TV and the Sheriff shows up and says we are taking all your guns and searching the house to be sure we don't miss any guns. No due process of the law at all and our state representatives passed it!!!! I think it is time to leave the state of Illinois.

Another example how great Illinois is: My daughter is getting a divorce so I bought a house to rent to my daughter. The mortgage payment and monthly real estate taxes are almost the same amount. This is a nice old 120 year old house, annual taxes are $4500/year. Oh yes, did I tell you about our weather??
    Last edited by jim Glass; 06-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.

And I'm sure a law like that (if/when passed) would never be abused. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Indiana, Connecticut and Texas all have GVROs. I think California was the first state that allowed family members to petition a judge to have firearms removed. Here in Indiana it has not been a problem. It has been a tool for law enforcement but Indiana uses common sense and you just don't hear of any abuses. I would never hold out such hope for other states. Every time I've read of it being used here it was a situation in which the guy was either barricaded in the house or he was having some sort of mental issue. That's not saying, of course, that abuses will never occur. Just that I haven't heard of any to date.

Tool & Die Maker

Probably won't be abused in Illinois except for the Republic of Chicago. Certain counties in Illinois, Effingham for one, is a gun FREE county where dumb laws the state makes won't be enforced!! Other counties plan to follow but probably not the one I live in, to close to Chicago, to many liberals here with Northern Illinois University here.y

Surprisingly Illinois is mostly Republican except for Chicago where 5 million liberals reside. Chicago, Cook county can pass all kinds of gun control but not the rest of the state where the governor must sign a law to become law. All bets are off on the next governor.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 06-20-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Oh, the county I came from was Democrat. Died in the wool, Democrat. Southern end of the state. Just one more reason I don't live there anymore. Did I mention my home town is almost a ghost town? Hmmm. Wonder if there is a connection. Tractor supply wanted to move to town. Nope. No can do. Why, that would be competition to the lumber yard and the hardware store. Might even put people to work. We can't have that.

I beg to differ with you but Illinois is one of the big three Democrat states right beside California and New York. It is considered one of the most Democratic states in the nation even though a good number of Republican governors have been elected lately. Why, if it weren't for Democratic Cemeteries in Illinois Kennedy would have never been elected. One more reason I don't live there anymore.

They had to elect Republican Governors. All of the Democrat candidates were in jail.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, well, there is that isn't there. Of course, they are in Democratic prisons of their own making.