Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Looking at air guns

  1. #41
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    The Ruger Yukon showed up a day early at Walmart so I drove to Lake Geneva Wisconsin to pick it up. I was rather impressed with the Yukon when I unboxed it. Nicely finished stock the barrel and receiver looks like a serious gun. Most pellet guns I have seen are rather small and light weight like a kids gun. The Yukon is rather heavy and bulky.

    Before firing I ran several cleaning patches down the barrel to remove the packing grease. The final patch was soaked in gun oil.

    I test fired inside my shop (since it is still winter here) at a distance of 33 feet. Using the iron sights and right out of the box it was only an inch off from "0". Must have fired 25, 14 gr, Ruger pellets last night. It is really accurate and penetrated a 3/4" pine board. For a pellet gun it has a nice set of iron sights, adjustable for windage and elevation. It came with a scope but haven't looked at it yet, I like the iron sights.

    When done shooting I ran a couple of cleaning patches down the barrel. Really dirty cleaning patches. This pellet gun is dirtier than a powder burning gun. When finished I discharged the pellet gun. The owner manual recommends the pellet gun not be stored in a loaded state.

    More on the Ruger Yukon later
    Very cool!
    The heavier Spring rifles are more accurate from what I understand.
    Sounds pretty powerful.
    The more you shoot the air rifle the more accurate it will get, see how it will preform after 500 pellets through it
    I also Like iron sights, but wanted a scope for mine.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05


  2. #42
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    9,628

    Default

    Jim I would leave the iron sights as primary equipment on that Yukon.

    The barrel cocking springer rifles use a ball detent to hold the barrel in position and I have always suspected that as the rifle wears the gun will not return to battery at the same exact spot.

    The iron sights are on the barrel so it will not affect them.

    The scope is on the receiver and separate from the barrel. any change in position from wear to a burr of steel on the surfaces to a piece of lead chip on the breech-face will throw the scope off.

    Besides, pellet rifles are like smoothbore shotguns with slugs, the practical range is so close the scope is not really needed, even by us old guys.


    HEY ANTHONY,

    how does that compressed gas rifle act when the gas is getting low?

    Does it lose power gradually on the last few shots, dump the partial charge at the last full power round, or just refuse to fire if the pressure is low?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-17-2018 at 11:54 AM.

  3. #43
    Tool & Die Maker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Genoa, IL
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Jim I would leave the iron sights as primary equipment on that Yukon.

    The barrel cocking springer rifles use a ball detent to hold the barrel in position and I have always suspected that as the rifle wears the gun will not return to battery at the same exact spot.

    The iron sights are on the barrel so it will not affect them.

    The scope is on the receiver and separate from the barrel. any change in position from wear to a burr of steel on the surfaces to a piece of lead chip on the breech-face will throw the scope off.

    Besides, pellet rifles are like smoothbore shotguns with slugs, the practical range is so close the scope is not really needed, even by us old guys.
    I was thinking the same exact thing.

  4. #44
    Tool & Die Maker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Genoa, IL
    Posts
    427

    Default

    What the Ruger Yukon looks like, less the scope, and how the pellet rifle shot right out of the box. This was a 33 foot shooting range inside my shop.
    After some tweaking it shoots even better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-17-2018 at 11:03 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Jim I would leave the iron sights as primary equipment on that Yukon.

    The barrel cocking springer rifles use a ball detent to hold the barrel in position and I have always suspected that as the rifle wears the gun will not return to battery at the same exact spot.

    The iron sights are on the barrel so it will not affect them.

    The scope is on the receiver and separate from the barrel. any change in position from wear to a burr of steel on the surfaces to a piece of lead chip on the breech-face will throw the scope off.

    Besides, pellet rifles are like smoothbore shotguns with slugs, the practical range is so close the scope is not really needed, even by us old guys.


    HEY ANTHONY,

    how does that compressed gas rifle act when the gas is getting low?

    Does it lose power gradually on the last few shots, dump the partial charge at the last full power round, or just refuse to fire if the pressure is low?
    I havent reached this point yet, so cant say. And also Have Changed the co2 bottle
    The bottle gets about 400 shots (hopefully all full powered, then stop) I will only know once I have gotten there.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

  6. #46
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    What the Ruger Yukon looks like, less the scope, and how the pellet rifle shot right out of the box. This was a 33 foot shooting range inside my shop.
    After some tweaking it shoots even better.
    I like the look of this rifle.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

  7. #47
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Here is a new video I made of my rifle with all the issues sorted
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

  8. #48
    Tool & Die Maker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Genoa, IL
    Posts
    427

    Default what can the Ruger Yukon do?

    Lousy day here in Northern Illinois so decided to test out the power of the Ruger Yukon can do. I selected different materials and thicknesses to see what the Yukon can penetrate. A bean can has been mentioned as a bench mark
    for air gun capability. Not sure what the thickness is of an old bean can.

    First test was .039 6061 aluminum. Huge dent but no penetration.

    Second test was .024 steel sheet. Huge dent but no penetration

    Third test was .015 shim stock with some hardness. Penetration

    Fourth test was .014 thick steel roof edging. Penetration of one thickness

    Fifth test was two thicknesses of the .014 thick roof edging. Penetration through one thickness but not the second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #49
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Lousy day here in Northern Illinois so decided to test out the power of the Ruger Yukon can do. I selected different materials and thicknesses to see what the Yukon can penetrate. A bean can has been mentioned as a bench mark
    for air gun capability. Not sure what the thickness is of an old bean can.

    First test was .039 6061 aluminum. Huge dent but no penetration.

    Second test was .024 steel sheet. Huge dent but no penetration

    Third test was .015 shim stock with some hardness. Penetration

    Fourth test was .014 thick steel roof edging. Penetration of one thickness

    Fifth test was two thicknesses of the .014 thick roof edging. Penetration through one thickness but not the second.
    Yeah A tin can that usually hold fruit or jams..
    I am using a tin bean can and penetration through both sides from about 30meters... havent tried further.
    Not sure how it compares to roof edging,
    But likely a bit thinner than that.
    But the thickness of a tin can used in food industry can be between 0.16 to 0.30 mm (thats millimeters)
    Assuming .39 = 1mm

    ummm 0.014 = .3mm More or less

    So yeah the last one you testing on would be Right, but That would be on the really thick side of a Tin can.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 04-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

  10. #50
    Tool & Die Maker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Genoa, IL
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Your 7 day safari looked like a lot of fun. I have never seen country side like that before.

    .3mm X .03937 = .0118"
    .16mm X .03937= .0063"

  11. #51
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Your 7 day safari looked like a lot of fun. I have never seen country side like that before.

    .3mm X .03937 = .0118"
    .16mm X .03937= .0063"
    Thanks Its absolutely beautiful up that side..
    Southern Africa has some really nice Bush

    Yeah I see your calculation.. hence I said more or less tin can thickness..
    Some times I dont always understand Imperial.... but sometimes I do with things like pounds and feet, miles..
    but I dont always look at fractions of an inch so that one I am not always a fay with.
    I really like your rifle though its awesome
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Antonyraison; Yesterday at 01:37 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

    (BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

  12. #52
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    9,628

    Default

    Anthony, 9 out of 10 Americans do not understand fractions of an inch!

    Oddly enough, it is not the population over here that prevents full conversion to metric (we measure and use math as little as possible anyway), but the engineering community, since we already have so much tooling and infrastructure built in Imperial.

    Just keep shooting, the groups are the same size no matter what system you use to measure them.

    Want a really realistic target? Try a plastic water bottle about the size of the game you are hunting. Most small game is thin skinned and 80% water. If the pellet will pass through one side, cross the water and exit the other side it will be plenty strong for small game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •