Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking at air guns

Quote Originally Posted by ScopedIn View Post
    The old "compared to firearms" argument. Of course, no debater would be left unprepared for this. My rebuttle?

YOURE STUPID! Lmao. No, I'm not that childish, just figured I'd put on an act.

Yes, compared to a true firearm it is no champion but among air guns it stands in it's own class. Mind you, not all of us can own a powder burning gun. I'm one of those many who, due to being stupid when I was younger, cannot own a firearm. So for me, the Sam Yang Dragonclaw .50 is very much a viable option for me when it comes to hunting bigger game. As well, there is no need for a compressor or separate air tank as it has dual air tanks which can hold 500 cc of air, giving me a few shots on full power. Or several on lower power. It can be refilled with a basic bicycle pump as well.

As for the ammo, I would prefer the 210 grain hollow points or round nose pellets. I can cast my own ammo without having to worry about powder or reloading equipment. It also requires less regular maintenance than a firearm. It's quite than a regular firearm as well.

At 50 yards or less, why would I need a scope on it to shoot a deer? It has iron sights that are accurate enough to take a heart shot on a deer at 50 yards and drop it in it's tracks. There are also arrows you can get to turn it into an air bow for more versatility. The ammo is far cheaper than most firearms ammo as well. Though less readily available in stores.

Given proper precaution, it can be a backyard gun if you have very few neighbors and buildings. A .22 air rifle is a backyard gun, I'm not talking about a backyard gun. I'm talking about something that can be considered for a survival tool to hunt with while staying under the radar compared to the report of a firearm.
    Makes a lot of sense for certain people. No Doubt!
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by ScopedIn View Post
    The old "compared to firearms" argument. Of course, no debater would be left unprepared for this. My rebuttle?

YOURE STUPID! Lmao. No, I'm not that childish, just figured I'd put on an act.

Yes, compared to a true firearm it is no champion but among air guns it stands in it's own class. Mind you, not all of us can own a powder burning gun. I'm one of those many who, due to being stupid when I was younger, cannot own a firearm. So for me, the Sam Yang Dragonclaw .50 is very much a viable option for me when it comes to hunting bigger game. As well, there is no need for a compressor or separate air tank as it has dual air tanks which can hold 500 cc of air, giving me a few shots on full power. Or several on lower power. It can be refilled with a basic bicycle pump as well.

As for the ammo, I would prefer the 210 grain hollow points or round nose pellets. I can cast my own ammo without having to worry about powder or reloading equipment. It also requires less regular maintenance than a firearm. It's quite than a regular firearm as well.

At 50 yards or less, why would I need a scope on it to shoot a deer? It has iron sights that are accurate enough to take a heart shot on a deer at 50 yards and drop it in it's tracks. There are also arrows you can get to turn it into an air bow for more versatility. The ammo is far cheaper than most firearms ammo as well. Though less readily available in stores.

Given proper precaution, it can be a backyard gun if you have very few neighbors and buildings. A .22 air rifle is a backyard gun, I'm not talking about a backyard gun. I'm talking about something that can be considered for a survival tool to hunt with while staying under the radar compared to the report of a firearm.
    No PCP I have seen is fillible with an ordinary bicycle pump.
    I have seen the stirrup pumps they use that are possible to fill things up to 4500 psi, they look like a bicycle stirrup pump, but they are not..
    And they about the same price as a dive tank.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I went the hand pump route myself but I have my eye on a small high pressure compressor at the moment, since my back porch shooting is requiring a LOT of pumping.

Dive tanks or scba tanks are convenient but expensive and you are still chained to an air source, such as a dive shop, for your high pressure fills.

My little 100cc gun tube requires 200 pumps for a full fill to 3000psi and if I top it off when it falls to 1000 psi that takes 50 pumps. Power falls off sharply at 1000psi so there is no use going below that level.

It is not like 50 pumps with a bicycle pump either, the HP pump needed for PCP guns is a three stage pump that operates on both strokes, up and down, and compresses the air at three levels. I have to put all my considerable weight into it just to reach the last few pounds of pressure to reach 3000psi. You also have to pump slowly so the air can travel between the pump chambers, so it takes a while. I then have about 25 shots at 900fps, but I had to work for them.

After 50 pumps in about five minutes the pump is so hot you can not touch it. A 500cc bottle on a hand pump would take all day, and from empty I would suspect 700-1000 pump strokes and the pump would be hot enough to fire up char cloth.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Man! I need a nap just reading that. That's waaaaay too much work just to shoot a pellet. Way to much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Man! I need a nap just reading that. That's waaaaay too much work just to shoot a pellet. Way to much work.
    That is why my next big purchase is going to be the compressor!

Cost of the compressor is equal to 500 rounds of .308 so I am going to work that into the normal ammo budget.

I was at the range this morning and it was really hot! It is still early in the season too. If I am shooting off the back porch I can run inside and soak up some AC every few minutes and the ice maker is always right there.

There is also the loading and unloading of the truck and trips back and forth to and from the vehicle to the shooting benches. It gets to be a real hassle.

Tool & Die Maker

I like my Ruger Yukon. With black bird season in full swing I'm scoring about 2 birds a day. No visible impact on the neighborhood black bird population!! Seems like more of them every day.

Going to test fire my 300 Blackout reloads today using the 4227 powder. An adjustable gas block on order.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 06-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.

You just wait, Jim. It's all fun and games now. Then the birds eat that toxic algae.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I just made a discovery!

You can throw you back out by cocking a break barrel, magnum, spring piston air rifle!

I think pumping up the PCP is easier and less painful.

I ran some test targets using RWS, Beeman, JSB and Crossman pellets yesterday, I was shooting off sandbags using a table, out of the shed down to the target. I was also shooting 10 shot groups.

RWS and Beeman got smaller than 1" groups out of the Stormrider. They are both 14.5 grain pellets at nearly 900fps. The groups were a nice consistent cluster. The Beeman was shooting .84" and the RWS was going 1.04". On another day it might have been reversed.

The Crossman pellets were three times that group size. I would have two or three real close, then a flier that opened the group up to 2.5". That is one reason I was shooting 10 shot groups. I had been getting one good five shot group, then a horrible group that had me wondering about both my scope and rifle. They have absolutely zero quality control. No more Walmart pellets for me. Not even good enough to use in an emergency! They are worse than bulk packed .22lr.

The JSB pellets are phenomenal! 18 grain heavy domed pellets made in the Czech Republic, probably by golden haired virgins, since they group at .580" out of my little rifle. They cost 4X the price of Crossman pellets and are worth every penny of it. $18 per 500.

Even the RWS and Beeman brands were uniform enough to make good rat shooting possible and they do not cost but a fraction more than the Walmart fodder.

JSB's are very nice, I was using I think the 16 grain diablo's this weekend, wow.. insanely accurate..

PCP and CO2 rifles seem to prefer the heavier pellets, from 16 grains up. It seems to be something about how the gas flows through a PCP barrel as a push rather than a slam like the springers do.

One thing has become evident. At the accuracy level these rifles operate I am going to need smaller targets. I am thinking something along the lines of an aspirin tablet inside the 25 yard mark.

Tool & Die Maker

Seriously???

Yep seriously.

These air guns have some serious capabilities in the accuracy department. The Olympic air rifles are claimed to be the most accurate guns in the world.

10M air rifle shoots at a target 10 ring that is .5mm. It is absolutely the size of the period at the end of a sentence. The 9 ring is black and about 5mm diameter with a little .5mm white spot in the center that is the bullseye. No scopes, just target peep sights.

I am not that good. Never have been, never will be.

Field target rules (very much like field archery) allow knock down reducers of 15mm out to 20 meters (5/8"@22 yards), 25mm (1") bull out to 35 meters and 40mm bull at 35-50 meters. That requires 1 1/2" accuracy at 55 yards and they are not shooting from sandbags or a bench.

Field target has several divisions and classes so you can get into that and shoot with people that are just as bad as you are!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yep seriously.

These air guns have some serious capabilities in the accuracy department. The Olympic air rifles are claimed to be the most accurate guns in the world.

10M air rifle shoots at a target 10 ring that is .5mm. It is absolutely the size of the period at the end of a sentence. The 9 ring is black and about 5mm diameter with a little .5mm white spot in the center that is the bullseye. No scopes, just target peep sights.

I am not that good. Never have been, never will be.

Field target rules (very much like field archery) allow knock down reducers of 15mm out to 20 meters (5/8"@22 yards), 25mm (1") bull out to 35 meters and 40mm bull at 35-50 meters. That requires 1 1/2" accuracy at 55 yards and they are not shooting from sandbags or a bench.

Field target has several divisions and classes so you can get into that and shoot with people that are just as bad as you are!
    Well I can shoot a match inside of 15m with my rifle.. that are indeed insanely accurate, and mine is not even something you would really compete with.

http://www.warecountygators.net/spor...20180429s49244

They took the old elementary gym and made a shooting complex. I go by it almost daily. It’s pretty nice. Good to see some schools promoting shooting competition. I was pricing their air rifles and WOW! About 4K.
    Last edited by rebel; 06-06-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Those are some pretty impressive numbers turned in by some pretty young folks!

It is really impressive, especially considering that they young woman winning the state championship is a freshman!

That means she is only 14-15 and most shooters do not reach their top performance until they are around 30!

It would be nice if some interested party with the proper funds gave her a good pep talk and offered to sponsor her through high school and into the college level through the Olympic youth stages and on to national representation at the top levels. There are only two or three relatively unknown colleges in the nation that have top level shooting programs complete with scholarship funding.

One of the reasons we get clobbered in the international shooting competitions is that we do not start training at the junior high level and have organized programs for young top level national shooters.

We can not front an Olympic biathlon team that can do better than 30 out of 31 in international competition, and we are supposed to be saturated with a "gun culture". Our only solace is that we can beat the Canadians.

Olympic level women shooters are rock stars in Europe. The have modeling contracts, own their own fashion lines and get sponsorship from all sorts of marketers. Watching a biathlon event is like watching runway models on skis clearing 20 out of 20= 4" targets from standing at 50 meters after skiing 12k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peG3aw2nWQo

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It is really impressive, especially considering that they young woman winning the state championship is a freshman!

That means she is only 14-15 and most shooters do not reach their top performance until they are around 30!

It would be nice if some interested party with the proper funds gave her a good pep talk and offered to sponsor her through high school and into the college level through the Olympic youth stages and on to national representation at the top levels. There are only two or three relatively unknown colleges in the nation that have top level shooting programs complete with scholarship funding.

One of the reasons we get clobbered in the international shooting competitions is that we do not start training at the junior high level and have organized programs for young top level national shooters.

We can not front an Olympic biathlon team that can do better than 30 out of 31 in international competition, and we are supposed to be saturated with a "gun culture". Our only solace is that we can beat the Canadians.

Olympic level women shooters are rock stars in Europe. The have modeling contracts, own their own fashion lines and get sponsorship from all sorts of marketers. Watching a biathlon event is like watching runway models on skis clearing 20 out of 20= 4" targets from standing at 50 meters after skiing 12k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peG3aw2nWQo
    I have heard it said many times, females are better shooters than males... Its because they willing to listen and learn and not have an ego take over.. (well that is the reason the person said to me about this)

I heard it’s because of a lower center of gravity.

Most coaches would rather teach women to shoot than men, but it usually has to do with women lacking the ingrained bad habits developed during years of unschooled shooting.

As Antony pointed out, they take coaching better.