Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total bag weight...

Blog Entries

Question Total bag weight...

So, come to find out I'm very bad at guesstimating weight...

Had a friend two weeks ago who had asked me some questions about my INCHBOB. Like what do I carry, where I got it, what kind of things should he get to start his own. He also asked me how much my pack weighed, to which I lifted and replied "probably 50 or 60 pounds, somewhere around there..." Well, this got me wondering, so finally I pull out the spring loaded fishing scale which goes up to 50 pounds. And wouldn't you know it, it only weighs about 30 pounds +/-5. Now, this is with only about 90% of my gear. This isn't including about an extra 5-10 pounds of things in a secondary pack that stays in the car. It also doesn't include my 4 pound axe, or my rifle which will usually be in my hands of course. So over all, I'm looking at about a 50 pound pack once all is said and done, that's roughly a third of my body weight so it's not really that bad. I also have no sleep system or a "proper" shelter like a tent. I can craft a shelter well and fairly quickly, so while I don't need one, I've thought about getting one just for convenience of easy setup as a temporary shelter until I setup a proper brush shelter.

What's your pack weight once fully packed? Is there anything you would drop out of your pack if you need to lighten it on the go? Is it better to carry more stuff or less, assuming you have the knowledge to use primitive methods to perform the same tasks.
    Stay scoped and keep your eye on the target.
    Semper Fortis, Semper Gumby, Semper Paratus, Semper Fidelis, Mentis Corporisque.

You guys can hoss that dead weight all you want. My days of doing that crap are over. How many days do spend on the trail?

Blog Entries

Recently I haven't spent much time as it's winter and the cold and I do not get along very well. But between spring and mid-fall I am out and about constantly as being in the woods is my meditation and destress time. I only carried a day pack though as only two weeks ago I was finally able to get my preferred pack. I'm not one for hikers packs myself, so I had to order a surplus MOLLE II Large Ruck, my preferred pack. I don't get to spend multiple days in a row out in the woods because I have work and a young child to help take care of.

Hopefully I will be able to spend more time out this year as it warms up. The only thing I need is to get in better shape, I get winded fairly easily be to my smoking habit, something I'd like to quit this year hopefully.
    Semper Fortis, Semper Gumby, Semper Paratus, Semper Fidelis, Mentis Corporisque.

I dont know, depends on where I am going and what I am doing, and the limitations put to us for that "test"
    But if its the things I would like to take to be comfortable etc etc.. and not have to walk around too much with pack
    hmmm likely around 50-60lbs
    but bear in mind I am like 215lbs myself and around 6.3ft tall.
    But yeah.. I can whittle down my essential kit easy down to about 10-12lb and be just fine.

I should actually weigh my kit, as I am going out in the field this weekend with My high comfort kit.. and then I can tell you exactly what it weighs..
    I get back to you on that..
    my in between kit (in between comfort and total minimalist is this one I would generally pack)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-22-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I am actually going to repack my kit tonight, So I can take some photos of that..
    Be-aware, most of the things in there will not really be essential, its just that I be "camping" more or less and have a lot of time to do whatever I want there... So I have packed things like crook knife (in case I want to carve bowls) extra bush pots (I want to cook really well) and various fire starters, as well it raining a lot here, and I really don't want to or need to mission for a fire..

but on the other hand I can get by in the bush with pretty much a knife a water bottle and a fire steel and have many times.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    I dont know, depends on where I am going and what I am doing, and the limitations put to us for that "test"
    But if its the things I would like to take to be comfortable etc etc.. and not have to walk around too much with pack
    hmmm likely around 50-60lbs
    but bear in mind I am like 215lbs myself and around 6.3ft tall.
    But yeah.. I can whittle down my essential kit easy down to about 10-12lb and be just fine.

I should actually weigh my kit, as I am going out in the field this weekend with My high comfort kit.. and then I can tell you exactly what it weighs..
    I get back to you on that
    50-60 pounds isn't too bad in my opinion. As long as you have a strong back and the drive to carry it, then I don't see a issue with having a heavier pack. Half of my pack is clothing, the rest is gear that I will be using. I don't really carry comfort items, while I have a fair bit of gear, it's mostly bare bones gears with plenty of redundancy especially in the fire kit department. I wouldn't leave home, in a situation requiring me to bug out, without every piece of gear in my pack. Once I get to my starting location, I have just over 1000 miles of travel ahead of me at that point, I will be able to assess the situation and my gear and decide if something is truly needed. At some point, I know that I will remove things from my pack and leave them behind, what it will be I don't know but it will happen eventually. I'm sure though that it will be very little I remove.

Blog Entries

I may get pics of my gear before I go to work tonight. But this site won't let me upload them to the thread and I won't do individual pictures to resize, takes too long and too much hassle. Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent camera and tripod soon to do a video. Then I can just Imbed the link and you can watch the video.

You were limited posting pics until you had 10 posts. It was anti-spam software that is built into the software. Now that you have exceed 10 posts you should be fine. 1000 miles? You can put that in carry on luggage.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

INCH bags that total 1/3 your body weight, 1000 mile hikes, scheduled EOTWAWKI events that can only happen good weather and after you quit smoking and get back in shape??

We have not done one of these in a long time!

trail of tears was the last 1000 mile hike, scheduled EOTWAWKI that I recall.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

And we know how well that ended... I think the last time I had an INCH bag it was stocked with Cool-aid and Snickers and a copy of Superman. I was probably planning to run away from home. And, yes, they had Snickers way back then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You were limited posting pics until you had 10 posts. It was anti-spam software that is built into the software. Now that you have exceed 10 posts you should be fine. 1000 miles? You can put that in carry on luggage.
    Nah, I was talking about each pictures file size being too big and not wanting to take the time to resize it to the proper file size. It's easier just to get a camera and make a video of my gear and explaining everything I carry. And yes, I have a lot of variables making my travel difficult.

I've always wondered where people think they are going to go with their INCHbags, rifles and knives.
    Certainly not MY house.
    Comes TEOTW, everyone and their brother with their INCHbags headed to the wilderness to kill and eat each other?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by ScopedIn View Post
    50-60 pounds isn't too bad in my opinion. As long as you have a strong back and the drive to carry it, then I don't see a issue with having a heavier pack. Half of my pack is clothing, the rest is gear that I will be using. I don't really carry comfort items, while I have a fair bit of gear, it's mostly bare bones gears with plenty of redundancy especially in the fire kit department. I wouldn't leave home, in a situation requiring me to bug out, without every piece of gear in my pack. Once I get to my starting location, I have just over 1000 miles of travel ahead of me at that point, I will be able to assess the situation and my gear and decide if something is truly needed. At some point, I know that I will remove things from my pack and leave them behind, what it will be I don't know but it will happen eventually. I'm sure though that it will be very little I remove.
    yeah I don't know man, I am able to dead lift 440lbs
    but if I am spending days and days in the bush hiking far... I really prefer to carry as little as I possibly can.
    Have you ever hiked a very far distance with your kit and spent days out with it?

When I say comfort Items, I mean a small folding hammock (ticket to the moon hammock) a 10footx 10foot DD tarp a small sleeping bag and a puncho rain jacket.
    clothing... hahahha ummm longest I been out for was a full 7 days.. And I never had spare clothing.
    (but that kit I took for that was really minimal)
    I didnt manage to totally unpack my kit ( I am supervising some students solos this entire weekend) as I am effectively camping there, and the students are doing their 48 hour solo survival - they only allowed a knife a water bottle fire steel... I will see about taking a video Of the kit i call high comfort.. hahah. I be able to get that out early next week.

my 7 day jungle survival kit I used:
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-22-2018 at 11:21 PM.

The last time I used my very high comfort kit is when I went out with some mates - was also more like bush-craft camping so was also high comfort.. the only difference is I didnt have the hammock and I had an extra Tarp as ground cover. even a 5km hike with that kit well do-able and fine, still feel that weight and an extended walk would have really sucked.
    here is that video:

I taken a photo of my high comfort kit fully packed, I might even be a lot lighter than I guessed.. I see if I can weigh it by my mates place when I pick him up for this weekend.
    I put it next to a laptop bag so you can compare the size:

851d3c5b-8323-4318-8138-fee2e07c18e2.jpg

I think in side here I have;

Cutting tools
    =========
    condor bushlore knife
    falkniven f1 knife
    mora spooon carving (crook knife)
    A folding saw
    ==========
    Fire kit
    =========
    potassium permanagate and glisterine
    cotton balls
    ferro-rod x 2
    a bic lighter
    Fire starters
    ==============
    Cook kit
    A small kway camp pot with lid that can be used as a pan
    2 small stainless steel cups
    2 buffs

Water bottle bag
    ======================

water bottle bag.JPG

Sorry about bad pics here- just wanted to detail how this bag/set up works
    1X 1lt stainless steel bottle
    1X military cutlery set
    1 X small billy can
    (these are all in my water bottle bag, I set it up similar to the Pathfinders cook kit)

Sleep system
    ===========
    1X double ticket to the moon hammock
    1X 3meter X 3meter dd Tarp (they fold small)
    1X military rain puncho doubles up as tarp (also folds small)
    1X double fleece line blanket 2 metersX1.5meters
    1X small sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees Celsius ( I have used it as far down as -5 degrees Celsius , but you need thermal clothing or long johns..)
    But rarely gets that cold here in southern Africa(also is late autumn/Fall, so still pretty warm)... but I have the fleece blanket also, which lines the bottom of hammock, as any one would know sleeping in hammock you get some damn cold drafts on the under side.

other
    ========
    1 X 180 lumen head lamp
    1x 5000 mah power bannk and small usb light
    1X compass
    1X write in the rain notepad and pen
    1 X sheet of 100 grit sand paper
    1 X water purifying drops
    1X small sling shot
    1X ranger beads/pacing beads
    1X pair of UV blocking sun glasses
    30ft paracord
    !x whistle
    1X small 1st aid kit

(we will be given a full 1st aid kit from head instructor upon arrival, and 2 way radios)

I am also Taking my cold steel spec ops shovel (in my pickup truck)
    and Food and drinks ( the food and drinks are in a cooler box in my pick up truck, this food is just for us 2 rangers supervising the students... the students have to forage/hunt/trap if they want a meal)
    and I think that pretty much whats in here as far as my memory serves.. I do A video of this "high comfort kit"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-23-2018 at 02:06 AM.

My INCH bag runs 60-70 pounds depending on time of year mainly used on road trips. My bug out bag is only 50 # due to the fact I have caches with back up supply’s away from my home that can resupply and add to comfort
    Semper Paratus

Totally agree that good bag cannot weight less than 30 lbs

I'm really surprised that many have the philosophy that a good bag can't weigh less than thirty pounds. I do several hikes a year, all ranging from 2-4 night stays and include up to 60 miles of distance. Many of these are in mountainous terrain. I eat very well on the trail and my pacj doesnt weigh more than 30lbs ever. 1-2 nighters my pack doesn't exceed 20lbs. Pack weight can be reduced by two ways. One is getting rid of a bunch of crap that isnt necessary. The other is to obtain lighter weight options of things that are necessary. And yes, lightweight gear can be durable and affordable, just gotta know where to look.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

The issue with me is I always repack my kit,
    it will depend on where I am going how long I am going, how far I will hike, what luxuries I may want or be allowed (depends on the course we doing)
    And well personal preference, sometimes I take next to nothing and just well tough it out, sometimes I feel like being lazy and just camping with it and then its stocked out with all kinds of useless things to occupy my mind.

What I can get by with very easily is a simple 5 c's kit or at a push a knife a fire steel and a water bottle and some para-cord.
    At A real push I likely be just fine, but kinda really roughing it, just give me my knife and firesteel and that can hold me over for quiet some time.. 3-5 days easily (assuming I find water)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 05-24-2018 at 02:58 AM.