Thread: Well...

Blog Entries

Default Well...

Did everyone fall off the proverbial edge of the world? I see some replies to other threads but I see very few new threads getting started. Are we in the off-season for posting? LOL. Or did everyone run off to the woods finally?

Could be. It's been downright warm in Colorado and everyone here is taking advantage of the great outdoors.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

This time of year (February 1-April 1) is tough for forums.
    People get surly. The "winter ennui" sets in and nothing is fun.
    If you are new, give it a bit.
    Or contribute something.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Lol. Oh I know, just perusing the posts and seeing what kind of topics are more popular or what tends to be discussed more often. Right now I don't have much to contribute except words as I need to get pictures of my kit and I have a few other things I need to get still. The pictures I do have are from a few months ago and I have since added and removed stuff so I need to get things organized. Doesn't help that I just got a new pack for my setup and had to switch everything over from the NG backpack I was using. I also don't really have a way with words so...yeah. I also like feedback so knowing that replies will be few, Im not sure about posting right now. More of just lurking and reading others posts and learning about folks. Will be planning a post this evening though as I want to get an opinion on something.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There is also the influence of a thriving economy which does a couple of things.

First, it keeps people busy and off the forums. They have money to go outside and actually do things.

Second, it trims down the number of "run off to the woods" (otherwise known as ROTTW) queries we normally have around the season when young people realize graduation is approaching and their degree in basket weaving is not going to cut it in the job market. That is usually around the first of the year and again at late spring, but we often manage to stretch the threads out for weeks.

And there is the fact that one of our most prolific contributors is laying in the hospital on life support right now. That has a personal impact on the long time members since often I start threads with the thought of "what is Hunter63 going to have to say about this?".
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-17-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Busy working, planting, camping and doing stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

County Fair Show and Rodeo. Two granddaughters were participating. One made cookies and added $5K to her college fund. She's one smart "cookie" (see what I did there Rick?) The other rode a sheep in the Mutton Bustin event at the rodeo. She is one tough 3 yr old. So I spent the day cheering for kids and even had a BBQ plate.

Alan

I drop in every day to see what's up. Probably not as much to post about though. Unless you're really into winter camping then it probably is the "off season" for WSF'ing.

In my case I went down sick in mid February. Lost 5 days with no memory of them. Two and a half weeks of fuzzy brain after that . This past week past week is really my first week brain and hands are working like they should . The docs say it was Viral Encephalitis .

O.o

We have thriving economies?! Can I have one?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

Every one has been a busy beaver I see. I don't blame y'all, sitting around doing nothing sucks. I plan on heading up to the mountain for a bit today myself. Gonna sit down and touch up the edge on the machete this morning then come about noon I'm heading out to go on a fatwood hunt again. My last hunt was a flop so I have to try again. Experience is the best teacher.

I post when I have something to share.. or contribute with views and perspectives on topics I am familiar with..
    I really don't know why some are seemingly not as acyive as others though.. but if you ever want fare constructive criticism or a view I gladly supply that where I can
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

9 days of camping. Drying, cleaning, and repacking for another trip this week.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Since I live in Alaska, it's still winter here. So, I work, go dancing on the weekends and play music every Sunday at the historic, Golden Eagle Saloon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qu2gYAwC8

You might enjoy this thread of Alaskana.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ska-2017/page7
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    9 days of camping. Drying, cleaning, and repacking for another trip this week.

I don't care how much work that would be, it sounds great.

Alan

I am sure most of us work also heheh.
    I can be online most days as I work in IT. I get times during many days where I won't be busy so I check forums..
    but I am also out in the field. and I am only going to be in the field more often as I am trying to log hours on survival courses to get to instructor. as it stands I already have started to do that.. but even if I wasn't I still do get a lot of dirt time out this side.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05