Thread: My 1st Gig As Survival Ranger For Our survival School

Default My 1st Gig As Survival Ranger For Our survival School

Hi All,
    I just wanted to update you with how things are going this side in terms of my journey..
    As a lot of you know I have achieved the ranking of "ranger" and I am working on my way at becoming full instructor..
    part of those requirements is to earn hours on course helping/overseeing.. and Teaching on some of the courses..
    My self and My best Friend are both Rangers
    We are to do our 1st duties as rangers Next Week (23rd-25th March 2018)
    whereby him and myself will be over seeing 2 other students 48 hour solos ( we our selves have done our solo in 2016 Already)

here is the short brief ( an extract from the email with some details)
    I will shortly be receiving more details to follow..

Good morning Antony and Richter !

I am setting up training opportunities to get all the Rangers in the field to get as much
    experience with students as possible and I have 2 students (Leon and Morne) that need
    to do their solo’s next weekend (23-25 March).

They are going in on Friday night and will come out on Sunday afternoon around 12h00.

I need 2 Rangers to shadow them and keep an eye on them for safety and was wondering if
    you 2 Rangers want to be the first Rangers to take students out for their solo’s !!!

Your duties will be ….
    • Placing each of the 2 students in an area far apart so that they can set up a survival
    strategy for 2 nights without interacting with each other.
    • Checking the students for safety and also to make sure they work at the basics of survival.
    • They need to set up a shelter, make a safe and small fire, find water and food and make
    their overall camp comfortable with bushcraft as they see fit.
    • You guys will report back to me on how they did and this will be an official report from
    you 2 Rangers as overseeing senior staff !

We will use the same area that we used when you guys did your solo just up from my farm
    on my cousin’s farm.

You will meet the 2 students here at the bushcamp and I will provide you with 2-way radios and
    a medic kit.

Are you guys ready to get into the field ??? This will greatly help to prepare you for the 24-hour
    on-the-move survival course that is running from April and the Rangers are going to run these
    courses from now on !!!

Please let me know if you guys are ready !

I am looking forward to this oppertunity and I am excited and I really want to do a decent job

I let you guys know of the happenings.. and report back on completion of our 1st GIG with my experiences views comments..etc.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Sounds very cool!

Have fun. It is probably more enjoyable to be the survival observer than the survival practitioner.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Have fun. It is probably more enjoyable to be the survival observer than the survival practitioner.
    I will probably concur after this,
    As I will just be camping there, monitoring them every now and again (aka baby sitting, incase they need some form of 1st aid assistance or evacuation to a medical facility)
    Their goal (as a student) is to make it through those days (alone) with a knife, a water-bottle and a ferro-rod. (no other equipement is allowed for them on this Test)
    acquire, their shelters, food, water,etc, etc..
    And then I just return them to base camp at the end of it and provide the school with my report on how I thought they did with their strategies, and How I felt they preformed.. And ensure that they do not interact with each other (that farm is about 50ha big some minor interactions will ofcourse be unaviodable and happens but must be minimal, as they will be exploring that place for food and water and other materials naturally they likely to interact, but we Have to ensure its very minimal) so not massive, but big enough...
    And myself and Richter will just do routine 5 min checks here and there to see how each one is faring..

So yeah I will literally tell One Student go With Richter.. and he will take him to the one far end of farm and say ok this is your spot.. I will take the other to the total opposite side and say ok.. now here is your spot.
    Then we leave them there walk all they way to another spot Him and I will setup a camp and then we will just every 4-5 hours just randomly each take a walk to one of the students and see whats going on..

However its still responsibility and I am honored to help and assist.

If you really curious about this location, I filmed my solo, and I took some footage from my other 2 mates that where there also doing their solo and I put it all together in a solo video (from when we did ours in 2016)
    there is that video so you can get an idea of how its done and the terrain.location of the solos..

Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

there is a part 2 and 3... but yeah they all about 20min long...shout if you cant find them

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One question,

Are senior rangers supervising newbies' survival solos allowed to take candy bars?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    One question,

Are senior rangers supervising newbies' survival solos allowed to take candy bars?
    I would think they could. I have always considered "Pay Day" as a survival food. Could always just call it fire starter!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    One question,

As far as I am aware We can take what we like (we overseeing/supervising, not doing) the students are the ones doing..
    So I imagine they be sitting at night at their respective fires a few hundred meters away from where we might be, and smell our lovely barbecues.. and likely at some point would walk right past our camp and see our lovely digs (hammock and usual gear one may have when camping in that style) and they would be roughing it with just their knives water bottle and firesteels.. uncomfortable,dirty, possibly slighty dehydrated, hungry and irritable whahahah

And now you know what the instructors were thinking when you were out training. In the words of a great survival instructor....Whahahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And now you know what the instructors were thinking when you were out training. In the words of a great survival instructor....Whahahaha....
    yes!!! hahahahaha. quote of the day right there.

I recall my mission exactly... (and I had a few ones like this)
    where by the Instructors themselves dont do the test you are doing (some they do, some like the extremes, they are in the thick of it, just like the students)
    but a few in particular are solo missions that are supervised, with very little interactions, nothing is said or commented on really (all the input and feed back only given at the completion of it when they handed their Certificates for doing that test).. all they do is come routinely check maybe max 3x a day for 5 min.. and return to their camp..
    The one mission I can recall clearly I could hear them listening to nice music, hear them laughing away.. knocking back one or 2 cold ones and smell their food they where cooking... even though we where upto a kilometer away from them, with the right wind you can hear and smell all of that.
    So yes, you on point there
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 03-16-2018 at 09:07 AM.