Thread: Back home the wild hog report

Tool & Die Maker

Default Back home the wild hog report

Back home after a cold and windy trip from Florida. The wind and cold must have caused a 15 or 20% increase in gas in the RV but we made home in one piece.

We went to Florida last November and returned home for Christmas then back to Florida in our Ford Focus for another 10 weeks in Florida. Must have gone hog hunting 5 days a week. All together we killed 17 hogs, I killed 9 myself.

Wow! Sounds like a good trip!

Tool & Die Maker

Ya, hardly wait to get back down there in November. We are usually home sick by March 1 but not this year. Stay longer next year.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome back home. What do you do with all the hogs if you are RVing it?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Tool & Die Maker

Good question. I found people I could give the hogs to. Got aquainted with the commander of the VFW in the area. The local veterans donate their wild hogs to the homeless and the poor so I gave them a couple of hogs.. I gave 2 hogs to some local rednecks I met at a local bar. We roasted a hog at the RV resort and slow cooked another hog for a potluck dinner one night. A few people are taking the hogs they killed back to Michigan for a wild hog roast this summer. There were several hogs wounded and ran into the jungle and died later.

I passed up countless shots at hogs because I didn't know what to do with them. Later I found people to take the hogs off my hands.
    I hope to kill even more next year now that I know people that want them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I hope to kill even more next year ...
    We, here in the South hope you do also. Many more.

Alan

Keep shooting. They are a scourge.

If it wasn't hogs I wouldn't suggest this but the game wardens usually know of folks that can use the meat for food. I'm sure they would be tickled to see you hunt them and be able to link you with those that could use the food. That would keep you shooting with a vengeance.

Here in Texas it is perfectly permissible to give legally killed and labeled game animals and meat to anyone you wish. There is a Wildlife resource form that you fill out and/or simply give the tagged animal to the person of your choice. A Wildlife Resource form still has to be in their possession. The only animals we tag are deer and turkeys, but any game animal (fur,feathers,fins) has to have the form if you give it away. You can't shoot an animal on someone else's tag. But I have taken plenty of people hunting with them buying their own license and then them pulling the trigger on my rifle.

We live in a county with antler restrictions. I hunt in a county with no restrictions. If the person kills a buck not conforming to the restrictions in this county, having the Wildlife Resource Document is very important, plus a properly filled out tag and license.

Hunting and fishing regulations are very easy in Texas. Violations are very expensive.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

I think most wild hog hunters leave the dead hogs lay or dump them in a hole somewhere. Some are left to the gators and the Mexican Air Force. Doesn't take long for a dead hog to just disappear out in the jungle. I found one hog to disappear without a trace in 30 days. No bones, hair nothing. I have concluded the large boars are worthless. People in the RV resort wanted to try cooking a 200 lb boar I killed. One person tried boiling the meat and the smell was terrible. However, she continued to add seasoning until the fowl smell was gone and the meat tasted fine. In November we roasted an old boar and the meat was tough, dry and gamey tasting. I couldn't eat it but others thought it was just great. I had my doubts about the boar before we dressed him out. The hog had a fowl odor, kinda like he urinated on himself. Never again.

The hogs under 110 lb seem to taste just fine, pretty good actually. Question is, what do I do with a dead boar under my tree stand? Move the boar or move the tree stand?

Wild hog hunting has been an amazing learning process. The thermo imaging scope has proven to be the most valuable tool a night time hunter can own. I bought a cheap small laser to mount to my 300 blackout. The laser will mark a hog for my guest hunter to see through the old night vision scope. Next year I would like to hunt hogs with my compound crossbow. We will use the laser to aim the crossbow in total darkness.

One thing I learned with the thermo imaging scope is the hogs are sometimes in the bait pile when I arrive morning and evening. I'm trying to figure out how to stalk these hogs because they always see me even in total darkness. Thinking of erecting some kind of screen for me to hide behind while stalking the hogs. I only need to get 50 feet closer to them for a shot.

November is going to be a long wait. Thinking about buying a thermo imaging monocular for next year.

I've never had a wild or feral boar to have that "boar" taste. I have had domesticated, pen raised, corn fed barrows even have a "boar" taste. I shot a boar that topped 400# one evening. I cooked some of the meat to see if it tasted off. It was fine. I made as much sausage as my smokehouse could hold from that pig.

I've had wild/feral sows that were tough as nails and tasted terrible.

The best ones though have been eating acorn mast. In a good year they'll put on an inch of acorn fat and the meat is great.

Forget about stalking a hog unless you are moving into a 30 mph wind and have good cover. They can hear the chain rattling on the gate form two miles away.

Alan