Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Armed guards in schools - thoughrs.

Decide on what is age one has to attain to be considered an adult. At that age a person gets to enjoy all the "perks" of adulthood. Buying/owning a gun, any gun, should not be limited to adults. Somewhere along the line, parents stopped teaching gun safety. In fact teaching gun safety at all became taboo. I tried to no avail to get an "Eddy Eagle" program started in our schools. The idea was continually rejected. I told them that it was a gun safety class. All they heard was "gun"...

I, like many others of my generation, were taught early on the rules of gun safety. Violations, if any, were dealt with swiftly and severly (as were any other vilolations) so we learned quickly. No one gave it a second thought to see me walking through town with my shotgun headed for the woods. I kept that same shotgun in my dorm room at college and the cafeteria ladies fried my squirrels for me. I'd walk down the dorm hallway, get on the elevator, ride down, cross the tracks and I was hunting in five min. I never once entertained the thought of shooting anyone, or anything that I wasn't supposed to shoot. Never crossed my mind. I had been taught NOT to shoot people or things I did not intend to eat.

THAT is what's wrong today, not the age at which a person buys a gun. I've seen old men do stupid things with guns. Age is possibly the worst gage of a persons maturity.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 02-28-2018 at 01:09 AM.

in our school there are hunter safety classes which in reality are firearm safety classes.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    " I don't support stopping youths who hunt deer either but the youths can still hunt deer with a shotgun/rifled slug. In Florida an 18 Year old "was" able to buy an AR-15, 5 round magazine and use it for deer hunting. Doesn't seem right to me but I'm from Illinois where everyone hunts deer with a rifled slug not AR-15s. ..."
    So a .223 bullet from an AR15 will kill a large hog but will not kill a deer, huh?

You've never been hunting out here in the west, have you? Anyone who comes out here to the great, vast, western country and hunts elk, Mule deer, antelope, wolves, coyotes, etc., with a shotgun and rifled slugs, will never take home meat.

Perhaps your ol' twelve bore with rifled slugs works for you and others in your area to kill a whitetail deer in the thick Illinois woods in which you hunt, but out here, you and anyone who comes out with nothing but a shotgun and a rifled slug, will be eating "tag soup." I suggest you save your money and don't come.

I've hunted big game all over the Rocky Mountain west and the Sierra and Trinity Mountains of Calif., and I have NEVER seen anyone, man or woman or youth (under 21), using a shotgun. Suggest to the several millions hunters hunting for big game in the west they use a shotgun and rifled slugs and they'll look at you like you fell out of a tree on your head.

Your "No rifles or pistols for anyone under 21," is just another step in the step-by-step-by-step tactics of the far Left gun grabbers.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Tool & Die Maker

For the most part gun control is a state issue. There are 20 million people in Florida, 12 million people in Illinois, 3 million in Iowa, 1.6 million in Idaho. I'm not saying Idaho has do be like Florida or any other state. I sincerely hope nothing changes in Idaho, sounds like a great place

To anybody that truly believes that raising the age to purchase a rifle (or pistol as has already been done) to the age of 21 will help, I would ask.......Since words have started more conflicts, wars, etc. why don't we then make it a law that nobody can speak out until they are 21. I mean if we are going to curtail the Second Amendment, we may as well do it to the First as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hate to think about when Generation Z starts voting.

If it's OK to use an AR-15 for hunting, then why not claymore mines or dynamite?
    Is there a line or does ANYthing go?

Miss B --- an AR-15 or any of the variants of it from other manufacturers is nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle - just as the Ruger 10-22 is and hundreds of others. It is not a military weapon. IMO it receives so much ire because of the way it looks. The way it works is no different than any other semi-automatic rifle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jim has been using an AR 15 to hunt hogs just fine. It's just another rifle. Please don't take this as anything other than an attempt to educate. The difference between an AR15 and any other hunting rifle is knowledge.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

deleted......
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.

As much as I think all the hoopla on Gun Control is Horse$#!t, and how much I dislike anything that is being planned in our government dealing with it, I just close my eyes for a moment and allow myself to slip into that alternate reality where Hillary Clinton is President of the United States right now....

I open my eyes and come back to REAL reality and all this doesn't seem so bad...

Alan

@ Crash: Believe it or not, I don't have a problem with AR-15 when it comes to self-defense, nor do I think it should be banned. Since I am not a hunter, I was only bringing it up in that context, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    As much as I think all the hoopla on Gun Control is Horse$#!t, and how much I dislike anything that is being planned in our government dealing with it, I just close my eyes for a moment and allow myself to slip into that alternate reality where Hillary Clinton is President of the United States right now....

I open my eyes and come back to REAL reality and all this doesn't seem so bad...

Alan
    You can say that again!

I've hunted with two of my ARs. They are not my first choice. I prefer other configurations for hunting.

One of the scariest rifles mankind has ever produced weighs 9.5#, holds only 8 rounds (2 fewer than a "high capacity" mag"), does not have a detachable magazine, and could produce untold carnage in a crowded room or hallway, can shoot through cinder block walls with ease, and IS NOT BLACK or have handle or a pistol grip.

I've hunted with one of those too. Not my first choice either.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    @ Crash: Believe it or not, I don't have a problem with AR-15 when it comes to self-defense, nor do I think it should be banned. Since I am not a hunter, I was only bringing it up in that context, nothing more.
    I do not question your motives, nor your sentiments. I am not a hunter either, but I do own a few AR style rifles. Having done a bit of research, there are a lot of hunters that use an AR style rifle for hunting, depending on what they are hunting. For many hunting applications the AR-15 is under powered for the target game. Yes, there are other calibers available in the AR style in addition to the 223/5.56, but the 223/5.56 is what most refer to.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For those who think that the left doesn't want to ban and confiscate ALL your/our firearms, take a look at this towering pyramid of intellect.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...plete-gun-ban/

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

So if you have to be 21 to buy or own a rifle or shot gun then are you not allowed to join the services until your 21 no drafts until your 21 funny I enlisted in the Marines at 16 went to boot camp at 17 knew more about weapons than the men that were in the army and Navy that had swapped over to the Marines this whole country all f Ed up hey I know let's make drugs legal take guns away from everyone it really don't matter to me I don't need a gun I just think that the fact ever one thinks the gun makes people shoot other people
    Last edited by Rick; 03-01-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: PG 13 please

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Miss B --- an AR-15 or any of the variants of it from other manufacturers is nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle - just as the Ruger 10-22 is and hundreds of others. It is not a military weapon. IMO it receives so much ire because of the way it looks. The way it works is no different than any other semi-automatic rifle.
    what I know of rifles and firearms is poorly lacking...
    But what I do know is I have shot with an Ar-15... and shot with more traditional hunting rifles like .22 bolt action and 303 rifles
    And we have hunted with Ar-15.
    I whole heatedly agree with this statement...
    An Ar15 is a semi auto rifle and is not much different than any rifle.
    It is getting a lot of hype likely because of its looks..
    But the .223 round that goes in these things is small in comparison to some other rifles... its just the velocity I would imagine that makes it so effective etc.. its really overly hyped..
    Its really decent to hunt with.
    And this is coming from An extreme noob in fire-arms.. I dont even own a fire-arm..
    But even I can see and tell its overly hyped.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I don't support stopping youths who hunt deer either but the youths can still hunt deer with a shotgun/rifled slug. In Florida an 18 Year old "was" able to buy an AR-15, 5 round magazine and use it for deer hunting. Doesn't seem right to me but I'm from Illinois where everyone hunts deer with a rifled slug not AR-15s. Don't get me wrong I shot a wild hog an hour ago with an AR-15, in Florida at night.
    we have hunted rooibok/ Impala with an Ar15.. just fine..
    and I am pretty sure a deer would be likely a similar size..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impala
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I do not question your motives, nor your sentiments. I am not a hunter either, but I do own a few AR style rifles. Having done a bit of research, there are a lot of hunters that use an AR style rifle for hunting, depending on what they are hunting. For many hunting applications the AR-15 is under powered for the target game. Yes, there are other calibers available in the AR style in addition to the 223/5.56, but the 223/5.56 is what most refer to.
    Thanks, Crash.
    My access to a variety of firearms is extremely limited here and theoretical knowledge is just that-theoretical. As with any tool, you have to actually use it in order to appreciate what it's all about.

Several months ago I bought myself a nail gun. I was working alongside a carpenter who was doing some work in our apartment and he thought I should try it out. It was heavy, unwieldy and it seemed to have a lot power that could inflict some damage if not used correctly. I almost gave up but he kept encouraging me. Well, once I got the hang of it, I wondered how I managed to live without it all these years. So I got one...from Santa.