Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Armed guards in schools - thoughrs.

Tool & Die Maker

[QUOTE=BENESSE;510213]If it's OK to use an AR-15 for hunting, then why not claymore mines or dynamite?
    Is there a line or does ANYthing go?[/QUOTE

Actually I was told by Fish & Wildlife Officer in Florida that I could kill wild hog on private property with any weapon I can legally posses including dynamite. Now I don't use dynamite out of consideration of the neighbors although they hate the hogs they might be ok with it.

I have covered lots of ground since this thread was started. I marched on the Illinois state capital with the gun owners of Illinois and just last weekend went to Lincolnshire Illinois to a meeting a politician that writes proposed gun control was having. I figure I shouldn't miss this opportunity so I went. Lincolnshire is an exclusive Northwestern Chicago suburb neighborhood where homes start at 500K and up. The people that live there are so different I felt a little like I was in a foreign county. They hate guns and their minds are made up. They actually believe an AR-15 is made for the sole purpose of killing people and AR-15's are also machine guns. I finally had a chance to speak for about 15 seconds before I was identified as pro-gun and was cut off. I did say this, "AR-15's are not machine guns, Machine guns are prohibited by federal law, I have documents here that show more people are killed with hammers than rifles of all kinds, I also hunt with and AR-15". That was it.

There were high school students at the meeting that spoke of being afraid in school. The students coming from these high tech schools didn't speak very well. Weak getting the point across. Pro-gun people advocated armed guards in school.

Here is what I think: If people are afraid for their well being they should learn self defense. Self defense isn't always about guns either although I have seen old frail people that have guns for self defense. People are in danger of many things besides hostile people with guns. People need to learn self defense against all possibilities of being harmed. Taking guns away is not going to make people 100% safe.

Most importantly people need to listen to each other and not dig in their heals for a one way conversation. Something I have observed in the last year or two.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 06-30-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by highlo View Post
    The nutjobs could be doing far more damage with more easily-obtained, more deadly weapons, of which I will not speak, and get away with it, to repeat. Move the cops and metal detectors from the courthouse, DMV, SS, etc, to the schools where they are actually needed.. Adults can carry their own guns. Kids cannot.
    I agree, metal detectors pickup all thinks made of metal not just guns. Metal detectors can also be automated with cameras so if metal is detected a photo of the student can be taken. More effective and more cost effective than armed guards. It will be to late by the time an armed guard sees a problem. Always best to confront a problem at the source before it becomes a problem.

Actually, Jim, machine guns are NOT prohibited by federal law. They are just more tightly restricted. You can own one if you wish. You just need to pay the tax and the the $$$ to purchase one. About the only thing you cannot own in this country are crew mounted weapons. That's a pretty broad generalization but close. Just about everything else is legal if you own the tax for it.

On the schools issue, the problem is not guns, it's hearts without God, homes without discipline, schools without prayer and courtrooms without justice. You cannot regulate morality by passing laws. We've gotten to the point in this country that our leaders aren't even well meaning any more. They just want to impose their will upon us because they have grown up without the values I listed above.

Tool & Die Maker

I thought I read recently the federal government ban machine guns. They are so restricted only certain police departments can have machine guns. I read just now new machine guns made after 1986 cannot be purchased legally. I guess it is possible to own a machine gun but will take lots of money and paperwork. A machine gun will cost $20,000 regardless of condition according to what I just read. Either way the average gun owner and the average criminal is not likely to own a machinegun legally.

Well, they are expensive but it depends on the weapon, condition, age, etc. Some are 20k, some are much less, some are much more. Just depends on where your jollies lie. Some people buy night vision Some people buy bass boats. I guess it depends on what you want to play with. Here's just one site that offers them. You can see there are LOT with sale pending.

https://www.davidspiwak.com/guns/

By federal law you can only own a pre-1986 machine gun. Makes them an expensive commodity. They did ban ownership of "new" machine guns.
    Several states have special licensing requirements too. Here, the police chief in the town you live in gets to decide if he'll sign off on a machine gun license. There are very very few towns in MA with chiefs that'll do that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Tool & Die Maker

Machine guns are forbidden in Illinois, must have been what I was thinking. Besides, how does a man tell his family he spent $20,000 on a firearm

The same way you tell them you spent $20k on a bass boat. From a distance.