Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed guards in schools - thoughrs.

I think it’s time to offer more online options for families to use. I think having guarded entry points makes sense in buildings.
    Sometimes I wander because I’m lost

We already have a generation of social misfits who can't interact with other people at work or in real life. Kids need to be socialized. More internet isn't the answer to everything.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Evidently having an armed security guard doesn't work if he's a coward.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Evidently having an armed security guard doesn't work if he's a coward.

Alan
    I was thinking somewhat along those lines while reading all the babbling of the rabble on the net. I am not taking a poke at any police, but I'm not sure the typical "School Resource Officer" is the answer. On the other end of the spectrum would be a battle hardened vet. But I'm really skeptical that they would be satisfied with performing that duty. Then again, I'm blowing smoke because I have no experience in any of that.

Our superintendent of schools came from teaching pre-K. She super nice. I taught next door to her. And she has no clue as to how to choose armed guards in our schools. Unless the shooter is 5 years old.

When it comes to people under pressure the old adage of "you can't judge a book by its cover," is never truer.

My two cents worth, most of it's already been covered but you can't secure a building (s) with multiple points of ingress/egress without a small army. One entry/exit. Metal detector and no one gets in without proper id and/or prior authorization. As for the who, there's a ton of unemployed vets nation wide. The job would give them purpose and be an honor to them to protect a building full of kids.

I heard of a man on a city council or what ever. He said they had a problem with meeting the budget so they put a satellite police station within the school buildings to save money. They increased security and saved money at the same time.

I heard that caller on Rush also, great idea I thought. They could make it a hub for police, sherif, and state patrol. That way a constant unknown stream of law enforcement coming and going.
    Sometimes I wander because I’m lost

Yes, it was on Rush...it seemed a reasonable idea to me. At least it was working for them.

Tool & Die Maker

Having teachers conceal carry on a voluntary basis could be a deterrent for school shooter. This is somewhat of a backward approach to the problem. We need to find the root cause of these mass shootings. Guns have not changed but society has. The root cause is mental illness something our society has neglected with budget cuts. Also we have set limits on what discipline teachers can apply to keep order in the class room. Now we talk about arming the teachers with guns. I think the news media is also a source of our problems.

Another concern is the police officers at the school, 4 of them, decided not to enter the school during the shooting. Other police agencies had a heads up on this shooter as well and did little or nothing about it. So....if people aren't going to do their jobs then where does that leave us. Pawn the job onto the teachers?? However, if it takes the police 5+ minutes to respond to a school shooting maybe the school administration should have defensive weapons locked up, they could respond to a shooting in a minute or two. Police departments within the schools is a very attractive idea and cost effective.

People under age 21 should not have rifles or handguns unless a parent or guardian is present. If little Johnny wants to go duck hunting he can carry a shotgun. Kids now days are to immature to buy or have access to a rifle or pistol. This is not a cure all but a first step. Don't get me wrong, I support the 2nd amendment but there are weapons that I'm not aloud to buy, build or posses and do not feel my 2nd amendment rights are infringed upon.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-27-2018 at 07:43 AM.

My son and I were talking about this yesterday. When I was a kid it was nothing for a bunch of us to have guns in the car in the school parking lot because we were going hunting after school. Kids were even known to carry shotguns on the school bus because they were going to go with someone after school. I walked off to the woods as a kid with a 12 gauge and a couple of shells. Walked down the street with it over my shoulder and out to the woods. None of us sat in front of a TV for hours on end blowing stuff up and killing. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it seems like de-sensitizing must play a role. Movies seem to be more violent although John Wayne always seemed to kill his fair share of Germans or Injuns. (They weren't indigenous back then). So, yeah, society has changed. He suggested locking guns away in a school and I asked him if he wanted teachers to stroll past the shooter to get to the guns. If you are going to arm people inside a school then they need to be on the person. That's sort of like a cop having his/her weapon in the cruiser. At least to me. It doesn't have to be the teacher either. There are janitors, administrators, principles, and the person that really needs to be there, the school police officer(s). IMHO.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

You hit it right on the head , Rick. I could not agree more!
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    " ... People under age 21 should not have rifles or handguns unless a parent or guardian is present. If little Johnny wants to go duck hunting he can carry a shotgun. Kids now days are to immature to buy or have access to a rifle or pistol. This is not a cure all but a first step. Don't get me wrong, I support the 2nd amendment but there are weapons that I'm not aloud to buy, build or posses and do not feel my 2nd amendment rights are infringed upon.
    So, you're "first step" is to outlaw young men and women from owning and carrying their rifles and pistols hunting, or for other outdoor activities, unless mommy or daddy were along, to supervise.

Also, you believe young veterans under 21 should have their Second Amendment Rights outlawed, too. Spent two or three years with an M16 (full auto) in hand, but once out of military service, can't own a rifle or pistol without mommy's or daddy's supervision.

How many times we see the gun control crowd who sanctimoniously state, "Don't get me wrong, I support the 2nd amendment but ...." There's always that modifying word "BUT,"and then go on to lay out their "first step," or "second step" or "third step," ad nauseum in order to EVENTUALLY destroy the Second Amendment.

There is an old saying, "Life is hard by the yard but a cinch by the inch." The anti-Second Amendment Left say, "Inch by inch by inch by inch by inch to achieve our goal."

Perhaps you're not in that crowd, yet, but you're definitely traveling on the edge of it.

"JIM GLASS - Kids now days are to immature to buy or have access to a rifle or pistol."
    Some are, but many are not. Then some adults are too immature to own not only guns, but cars, alcohol, or the right to vote. But we don't demonize all adults because of the irresponsibility of a few, do we. Do we?????

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Tool & Die Maker

Seniorman: I cannot disagree with what you say particularly on the veterans. I'm just saying age limits on certain firearms is something I could accept. Age limits on certain firearms will not change what adults do with guns. You are right about that. I'm afraid of what the politicians will come up with because it won't be anything that will work and won't be anything intelligent.

I'll give an inch or two to the gun control liberals to avoid what Australia did. They have a graduated system where some guns are easy to obtain and other more difficult. Semi-auto almost impossible to obtain. I have know idea how they got such a bill passed and the information on how well their gun control works is mixed.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-27-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Tool & Die Maker

News from Florida:

Florida lawmakers shot down an amendment on Monday that would have banned semi-automatic “assault” weapons like the AR-15 used in the Parkland school massacre.

They did, however, agree to raise the legal age for purchasing a firearm to 21 — and approved legislation that would give teachers the right to carry guns in school, NBC-2 reports.

Not sure how long this link will work :https://nypost.com/2018/02/26/florid...to-carry-guns/

Too bad they didn't bother to vote to harden their schools. When some guy walks in with 5 gallons of gas and a road flare they might think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_school_massacre

I don't believe police officers have ever entered a building during a mass shooting in recent years. They have always waited outside. I am not defending or condemning anyone just stating the facts that I believe to be true. If I am wrong I will stand corrected. I do support hardening of the schools, however, I'm not sure that some things like better locks on glass doors would help. I support rifles or concealed carry in the schools. I don't support stopping the 10's of thousands of youths who hunt during deer season.

You guys dont understand that the real problem is the NRA

LOL, just trying to lighten things up a bit.

I like the idea of teachers CCW. They know the kids and know which ones to look out for and most likely the first ones to report the bad/questionable kids to the authorities but the absolute LAST thing anyone one of them want is to be forced into a position of shooting any kid to defend other kids

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    I don't support stopping the 10's of thousands of youths who hunt during deer season.
    I don't support stopping youths who hunt deer either but the youths can still hunt deer with a shotgun/rifled slug. In Florida an 18 Year old "was" able to buy an AR-15, 5 round magazine and use it for deer hunting. Doesn't seem right to me but I'm from Illinois where everyone hunts deer with a rifled slug not AR-15s. Don't get me wrong I shot a wild hog an hour ago with an AR-15, in Florida at night.