Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "EMP Proof" Vehicle

Default "EMP Proof" Vehicle

In addition to my Google-Fu being weak, I find a lot of advice as to what vehicle characteristics make a BOV during a large EMP event. Any advice for authoritative guidance, i.e. age, etc.?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-out-vechicles

Our once every two year EMP thread.

It used to be a favorite topic on the internet but most people realized what they were reading was mostly BS. EMP is truly one of those topics where you dazzle them with details then baffle them with BS.

Besides, where are you going to go after a major EMP "event"? The roads would be completely clogged with dead automobiles, you would be one of the few vehicles still running and a target for anyone and everyone.

Plus there is that little thing abut the nuclear strike that it takes to create the EMP,

so, good luck with that!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

If they knock out my Netflix someone is gonna pay. That's all I'm sayin'.

The facts are we all have opinions of which would be the most EMP proof vehicles but that's all they are. Logic says the less electronic the better but without power to pump fuel where are you really going to refuel at . That said if I was looking to go EMP proof vehicle I would look at an old diesel that has a Manual fuel pump and manual injector pump .Also would have a standard transmission in case I have to roll start it.
    Other option get a horse or a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    [url]http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?28391-Bug-out-vechicles[/ur

Plus there is that little thing abut the nuclear strike that it takes to create the EMP,

so, good luck with that!
    A nuclear strike that creates a EMP doesn't cause a radiation fallout problem . It is an upper atmosphere explosion and the particular matter is just not there to irradiate .

Horse or Bicycle works. Though some people may want to eat your horse. And maybe you too.
    I'd stay put.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

One of the best books that deal with an EMP attack is ONE SECOND AFTER by William Forstchen. Very plausible scenario, well written, and based on facts as much as possible given the fictional scenario. I distinctly remember that it does talk about which vehicles seemed to have remained operable after TSHTF.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-...ond+after+book

That was a good read.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That was a good read.
    It really was, wasn't it? At no time did I feel it was losing touch or getting too dramatic in order to prove a point.

Now, I came across of this synopsis that I think is pretty much on the money:

http://thesurvivalmom.com/15-things-...-second-after/

Miz Benesse, ma'am,
    Do you remember recommending this book to me two or three years ago? I ordered off amazon the next day I think, When I got the book I started reading it one evening and read it all in one very long sitting. I have re-read it once since then and I have had both my children their spouse and all nine of my grandchildren (ages 26 thru 13) to read it and they all have. I have loaned it out numerous times. Almost always very positive feedback from the folks when they return it, I am not sure I ever thanked you, so..Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Miz Benesse, ma'am,
    Do you remember recommending this book to me two or three years ago? I ordered off amazon the next day I think, When I got the book I started reading it one evening and read it all in one very long sitting. I have re-read it once since then and I have had both my children their spouse and all nine of my grandchildren (ages 26 thru 13) to read it and they all have. I have loaned it out numerous times. Almost always very positive feedback from the folks when they return it, I am not sure I ever thanked you, so..Thank you very much for the recommendation.
    So glad y'all liked it as much as I did. I found it to be one of the best in this genre--compelling read, easy to relate to, lots to think about and learn. I am not prone to worry about outlandish scenarios but this one is a particularly plausible one, and I see every reason to factor it in wherever it makes sense in our preps.

I think I got this thing figured out. I made a mirror suit for me. I had one for the truck but people get running off the road at night then the cops tried to pull me over and when they turned on their lights they ran off the road so I decided I needed to work on that one a bit. If I can bounce that EMP right back into space I'm in like Flynn I tell you you.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

From what I have read from Hiroshima survivors = might work.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Last edited by WalkingTree; 02-21-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

This is my EMP proof vehicle.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by madmax; 02-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Gets pretty solid miles per grubs too!

I had an old Mercedes diesel. Everything "power" on it runs on vacuum. Door locks, trunk release, etc. It had a mechanical fuel pump and injector pump. If you rigged up a pneumatic starter on it, an air compressor (altered AC pump), and a tank, you'd be set. Oh, and it can run on used fry oil.
    My '83 F350 diesel 4x4 would be hard to beat also.
    My '81 VW rabbit pickup diesel was pretty easy to push start, forward or in reverse.

That would never work. Every pothead with the munchies would be following that Mercedes around if you ran it on fry oil. You'd be like a modern day Pied Piper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That would never work. Every pothead with the munchies would be following that Mercedes around if you ran it on fry oil. You'd be like a modern day Pied Piper.
    Not to mention, fry oil would become quite the commodity and people would probably prefer to use it for consumption rather than power their vehicles with large quantities it would take.

We'll start entering the next solar maximum end of this year.
    I'd expect there will be more of these threads.
    You don't need a bomb for an EMP event.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant