Thread: What is Homesteading ?

Banned

Red face What is Homesteading ?

Homesteading*is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. When we think about homesteading the image that usually comes to mind is a self-sufficient farm, subsistence agriculture, home preservation of food, and it may or may not also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craft-work for household use or sale.
    Thanks.

I dont really see a use for a name like this for where I live,
    I know your definition of it and the wanting to label things, and I admire many good homesteaders.
    To me homesteading is a normal self sustaining farm.
    My grand father was a "homesteader"
    Many people in Southern africa Are Homesteaders, many farmers and such.. not all of them are creating produce to resale, a lot of them are just creating enough for themselves and whomever else lives on the land with them helping.

So here we call them Farmers.. or more aptly Boers.
    We have a popular saying here; " 'n boer maak 'n plan" which means a farmer makes a plan.
    That's whom these people are, they make what they need, fix whatever they can, work with their hands, and use the land to its potential, they hunt, they grow things, they have live stock, they very competent outdoorsmen... they enjoy physical labor and have a deep kingship with the land.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 02-07-2018 at 06:31 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

He was a spammer out of India. He will have to homestead somewhere else.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crashdive never sleeps on watch.

Oh dear, And here I was writing a really eloquent reply as to have good discussion.. and All I was doing was responding to spam.
    story of my Life
    har har har
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

When I see a question as part of a first post....Then an answer in the post....just makes me think or those old ads.(I dating myself but) and wait for the '''rest of the story"

"Do you feel sick and run down?"
    or
    "Do you need some swamp land or a big bridge.?"
    or
    in this case....."Need to know the definition of a homestead?"
    Insert your own favorite snake oil ad...

Then wait for the "Is that what is troubling you , Bunky?"....(Mr Dumas)....
    "We are here to help,... Just send 29. 99 in Bitcoin to "giveawayyourid@inblaindia.spam"

Do you use $ signs in Bitcoin?

Thanks Crash...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Well , he started a train of thought in my mind any way.---I am a student of the American Frontier and Homesteading was a major part of that period. Of course so was it a part of settlement in Australia and Southern Africa. In the context of 1600/1700'S Eastern North America, It was the opportunity to own land which you could exploit to support your family, something they were too poor to do in western Europe. Homesteading led to conflicts with the native American s who already lived on those lands but lived a different life style. As time pasted, the definition of "Homesteading" evolved to match different enviroments and continents. I will get of the podium now. (I could carry on with this subject for hours!)
    Geezer Squad #2

This is what homesteading means now:
    https://smartasset.com/taxes/what-is...-tax-exemption
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

The current term reflects some desire to live off the land - although, I think 95% of the practitioners get less than 10% of their food from the land - they are still in the "trying" stage.

Last edited by Rick; 08-20-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed Links

A homestead is a house and surrounding land owned by a family — often, it includes a farmhouse. Most people have homes, but not everyone has a homestead: that means your family owns more than a house
    https://www.mozzec.com/

Nice to see that on-line dictionaries are available to you in Sri Lanka.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Goats. Homesteaders have goats.

...and chickens.

...and poopboots.

And a shed full of tools, like ban hammers.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

It was funny to read through this thread and see many banned people here. It seems to be a dangerous topic. (Sorry)
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...