Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship parking lots No Weapons

Tool & Die Maker

Default Cruise ship parking lots No Weapons

We decided to take 5-day cruise since we were already in Florida. After a 4 1/2 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale we decided to scope out the entrance to the port. The entrance was gated with a police car. We asked few question and left. Wife asked me if I saw the no weapons sine at the entrance and I had not. She asked me if I had any weapons in the car and I said, yes, a couple of hand guns, an AR-15 and a large knife for skinning hogs. She says, why do you have all that stuff and what are you going to do about it. I told her I like to be prepared for a low level terrorist attack. We stayed at a Holiday Inn that offered parking and a shuttle service to the cruise ships so the weapons remained at the hotel parking lot.

The cruise was great but 24 hours after we left the ship I came down with a strange virus. Started out as chest congestion then progressed to diarrhea. When I get sick it is usually sinus and only sinus but not this time. I'm taking 4 prescriptions now and the Dr make made me get a chest ex-ray today

Do I have one of those cruise ship viruses????
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-06-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Yikes! Could be. Norovirus is rampant on cruise ships. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I guess if you put a couple of thousand people on a boat 500 feet long and 75 feet wide for 5 days in the middle of a flu epidemic somebody is going to catch something!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It doesn't have to come from a cruise ship. My wife never calls in sick. She teaches elem. school PE. LOTS of kids everyday. She had symptoms like yours. This will be her 6th day in bed. She tried to get up and go to work this morning. She fainted and fell. Luckily she didn't hurt anything but it scared both of us. I'm guessing norovirus. She asked about going to a quicky care unit and get looked at. I've been to several Dr. offices for unrelated problems and they are like a crock pot for germs. Lotsa hacking and coughing and spitting. I told her she was better off riding it out at home. I've got a little something but no fever or chills. My energy is fine. If I have to go to the store or pharmacy I go early. I wash my hands a LOT! Thankful I didn't have to call friends and family to bring us food and meds. Note to self: Add more heat and serve soup to the emerg. pantry.

Don't take this years flu season lightly. There's so many different things going around. Don't get up too soon. If you have the flu it's 7-8 days before you are not contagious. Know the symptoms and when to go to the Dr and when to just stay in bed.
    Last edited by madmax; 02-06-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I guess if you put a couple of thousand people on a boat 500 feet long and 75 feet wide for 5 days in the middle of a flu epidemic somebody is going to catch something!
    The ship was 1100 feet long and 185 feet wide, 4000 passengers and 1500 crew. The ship is known to have the virus but I boarded the ship anyway. This ship had 300 sick passengers on a single cruise back in November.

Still waiting for x-ray results. I think I may have pneumonia
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.

When it comes to viruses I say take no hostages. Biotics, antibiotics and double antibiotics. Take no chances. I hope you get better soon.

A week before Christmas the wife of a very good friend came down with a cough and headache. First trip to Dr said flu, second trip to ER said pneumonia, third trip to ER Hospital, Christmas morning she was dead... It happens that quick.

Sunday I started feeling like that yuk feeling. Went to DR yesterday got a shot. He said it was a Nasty Head Cold. I'm taking antibiotics, double Vit C, Echinacea, Zinc, cough syrup, decongestant, and have cloistered myself in my room and use clorox wipes to touch anything outside of my room. #1 wife made a big pot of chicken/vegetable soup and I'm not having contact with anyone. I felt like crap yesterday and like warmed over crap this morning. I'm starting to feel better now but am not going to chance it. I have a fantastic immune system and if I get sick it is a badass bug that does it. I wore a mask to the Dr office yesterday and the Doctor actually thanked me for doing so. I just keep the big bottle of hand sanitizer pumping and the computer keyboard wiped off regularly.

This year is not one to get complacent about whatever kind of bugs are out there. And people get their resistance down from one thing and then catch something else and then they die.

Alan

You stop taking all that crap you'll probably feel better.

Hope you're better quick like.

Ok, but I'm not giving up the Chicken Soup!

Alan

Man that sux,
    Kinda why I also dislike flying,
    Stuck in a tin tube for hours with a few hundred people.. bound to catch something.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Not a new thing.

1919, my great-grandmother's oldest brother managed to survive all that "The Great War" had to offer, got on a ship to come home. Influenza swept through the ship and killed half of them including Joseph.

The worst place to go is a hospital or a doctor's office.

The best place to stop an outbreak is before it starts. Now days people get a flu shot (I have never gotten one) and they think they are invincible and they carry on with worse hygiene habits than they did before. Then the bug just gets stronger.

I heard that this year's shot was 30% effective, then later that number dropped to 10% effectiveness.

The flu spreads jut like anthrax or ebola. By person to person contact. Yet every year there is an outbreak. Well, with people dying within a week of contracting the flu, maybe we are to the point of treating it like we treat heretofore more serious diseases. Quarantine the affected and stop it from spreading.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    We decided to take 5-day cruise since we were already in Florida. After a 4 1/2 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale we decided to scope out the entrance to the port. The entrance was gated with a police car. We asked few question and left. Wife asked me if I saw the no weapons sine at the entrance and I had not. She asked me if I had any weapons in the car and I said, yes, a couple of hand guns, an AR-15 and a large knife for skinning hogs. She says, why do you have all that stuff and what are you going to do about it. I told her I like to be prepared for a low level terrorist attack. We stayed at a Holiday Inn that offered parking and a shuttle service to the cruise ships so the weapons remained at the hotel parking lot.

The cruise was great but 24 hours after we left the ship I came down with a strange virus. Started out as chest congestion then progressed to diarrhea. When I get sick it is usually sinus and only sinus but not this time. I'm taking 4 prescriptions now and the Dr make made me get a chest ex-ray today

Do I have one of those cruise ship viruses????
    Virus aside...original question....
    Your selection of take along self protection "support" maybe just the ticket...in the parking lot of a Ft Lauderdale Cruise Ship line.
    The boat itself?...maybe a tad much?...leave on handgun?....and the big knife...I don't want sick people that close to me....On the other hand put the other had gun back in the mix.
    Just saying
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Man that sux,
    Kinda why I also dislike flying,
    Stuck in a tin tube for hours with a few hundred people.. bound to catch something.
    I don't know anybody that would spend an extended time in a metal tube with a few hundred people.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, That's just nuts....hey, wait a minute. Didn't you....never mind.

When my son and I did a cruise in 2016 the first place I went was my PCP and told him what the plan was. He loaded me up with the necessary drugs and sent me on my way. We were headed to Central and South America so the all purpose Antibiotics, Antiseasick and Antinuasea anti-anti whatever went along for the cruise. Good thing too, 'cause I made the mistake of ordering a smoothie in Panama. About half way through I realized too late that ice is made from water. Yikes! Thank God for anitbiotics and anitnausea meds.

Folks forget that the flu shot is only good on the strain(s) that is targeted for that year. The other strains of flu that are going around are not touched. If they miss the mark on which strain is in the shot then all bets are off on whether you get it or not. In other words, if they think strain A if going to be the prevalent strain and that's what is in the flu shot then you'll be protected from strain A. If strain B comes along and is the real problem then guess what? You'll get sick from Strain B because you have no protection from it. The shot was for Strain A. But everyone will say see? The flu shot is no good. Well, yeah it is. You didn't get Strain A. You got Strain B. You just can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't know anybody that would spend an extended time in a metal tube with a few hundred people.
    welll.... to be more specific..
    the planes we fly locally between big cities is the Boeing 737-300 Passenger capacity, 126 to 149.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

the planes we fly locally between big cities is the Boeing 737-300 Passenger capacity, 126 to 149.
    How about under the ocean for months?.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry about that - it was sort of an inside joke. I was in submarines for over 20 years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

Chest x-ray says my lungs are fine. I'm not quite 100% yet but I'm functional, got out hog hunting and out for dinner with friends. Had a good night of sleep last night.

Dr says take all of the medications until gone so I'll be on them for a while.

Spoken like a true hunter.

I just took a cruise a month few months back seen the signs and asked them if a pocket knife was a weapon he said no I placed it in the basket with my wallet phone and lighter and they let it pass same way when I got back on ship from being in port