Thread: The World's Loneliest Bird

Default The World's Loneliest Bird

I don't know if this makes me laugh or want to cry....LOL
    Quote>
    Nigel the gannet died as he lived, alone on the cliffs of Mana Island, surrounded by fake birds.

The bird was lured to the desolate island off New Zealand five years ago by wildlife officials who, in hopes of establishing a gannet colony there, had placed concrete gannet decoys on cliffsides and broadcast the sound of the species' calls. Nigel accepted the invitation, arriving in 2013 as the island's first gannet in 40 years. But none of his brethren joined him.

In the absence of a living love interest, Nigel became enamoured with one of the 80 faux birds. He built her - it? - a nest. He groomed her "chilly, concrete feathers ... year after year after year," the Guardian reported. He died next to her in that unrequited love nest, the vibrant orange-yellow plumage of his head contrasting, as ever, with the weathered, lemony paint of hers.
    <quote

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/an...03-h0t72l.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh, man. That sucks. Leave it to some wildlife schmoe to end the lonely life of Nigel the woe begotten gannet guarding a deserted island of concrete beauties. That would be my frickin' luck to be stranded on an island with 80 mannequins! Sort of brings back images of Robert Neville getting rejected by a mannequin in I am Legend.

Nigel has as much luck with women as I do😄😄😄😄

why did'nt thet just put a small colony of bird there to begin with?
    poor nigel,
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

There you go. Thinking all logical.

1st. Ornithologist: "Mayby we should have moved a colony of birds to the island."
    2nd. Ornithologist: "Wait, we can do that?"